PlantFiles: Ohio Buckeye
Aesculus glabra

Family: Sapindaceae (sap-in-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Aesculus (ES-kew-lus) (Info)
Species: glabra (GLAY-bruh) (Info)

Synonym:Aesculus glabra var. leucodermis
Synonym:Aesculus glabra var. micrantha
Synonym:Aesculus glabra var. monticola
Synonym:Aesculus glabra var. pallida
Synonym:Aesculus glabra var. sargentii

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Bronze-Green

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By ViburnumValley

Thumbnail #6 of Aesculus glabra by Decumbent

By tropicsofohio
Thumbnail #7 of Aesculus glabra by tropicsofohio

Positive Rickwebb On Jan 29, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

It is a pretty tree. It is slow growing, about 10" to 12"/yr and lives about 100 to 200 years. It is found sporatically in its native range from west PA into TX and central IA to north Alabama and it is just not popping up everywhere. The handsome 5-parted compound leaves develop good orange or yellow fall color, if they don't experience a strong attack of Buckeye Blotch, a fungus disease that kills areas of foliage and can scar the fruit. Cool, wet springs help the disease that shows up in July or August, but it is not really damaging and does not happen every year. The tree is messy, dropping fruit in late summer and dropping twigs at various times, for refined lawn and landscape areas. However, I think it is a wonderful plant. The buckeyes can be used for decorations and the squirrels eat the fruit. I have nostalgia towards the old Ohio Buckeye in the neighbor's yard across the street that I used to climb easily as a boy.

Neutral neilbobcat On Jun 5, 2011, neilbobcat from Llandysul
United Kingdom wrote:

We visited friends in Ohio last October & they gave me two Buckeye nuts. I kept them dry all winter & planted them in a pot a month ago but alas they have not germinated. Have tried putting them in the freezer but still no luck. Any suggestions ????

Positive Fuzzyone1 On Jan 2, 2010, Fuzzyone1 from Jonesborough, TN wrote:

We have beautiful and old Buckeye trees growing on the grounds of the VA here in Johnson City, TN. They must be over 80 feet tall. I collect a few buckeyes from then every year when I can beat the squirrels to them. Got one in my pocket at all times. Phil

Positive nlafrance3 On Oct 6, 2008, nlafrance3 from Edmonton, AB (Zone 3b) wrote:

A very hardy, unique tree that may be hardy up to zone 2a. It is abundant in Edmonton zone 3b and provides wonderful fiery fall color.

Neutral Decumbent On Nov 7, 2006, Decumbent from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

While this is a fun tree to include in naturalistic, wooded settings, as a yard shade tree it compares poorly with many, many better trees.

Buckeyes are one of the first trees to emerge in the spring, and their emerging leaves provide much appreciated green at that time of year. In the fall, their "buckeye" fruits are fun and oddly ornamental. But a variety of foliar diseases beset the Ohio Buckeye, and by mid to late summer, most Ohio Buckeyes are either covered in badly scorched foliage, or have no foliage at all. This is a very important consideration for anyone wishing to plant A. glabra or A. hippocastenum. Note: the similar Aesculus flava (syn. A. octandra), has all the attributes of every other buckeye, but usually does not suffer foliar diseases. This is the buckeye to get for yard purposes.

One upside to any species of buckeye is that deer leave them alone.

Positive hoosiermommy On Sep 6, 2006, hoosiermommy from Hartford City, IN wrote:

This buckeye was growing on the grounds of the business where I work in Marion, IN. Whoever planted this property loved trees, because there are some unusual varieties in this land of maples, maples, maples. The tree was in a lawn and had forsythia hedge on both sides of it. It was beautiful. I didn't know at first what kind of tree it was, but when I went up to it and saw the nuts, I said, "Why, that's a buckeye! What's it doing here in Indiana?"

I didn't see anyone water or feed it and it's nowhere near a water source, but it did well.

However, the utility company has just cut down this lovely mature specimen that had buckeyes on it, the brutes!

What we want to know is whether in September the nuts are mature enough to plant, and do we hull them first or plant them hull and all?

In the meantime, I have one in my pocket to combat arthritis.

Thanks

Positive BIG_Dave On Jul 2, 2006, BIG_Dave from Waynesville, OH wrote:

I have an Ohio Buckeye planted in my yard that was transplanted as a 1 year old seedling from my Mom's garden. It is now about 10 years old. Mom has had a Buckeye tree for 20 + years. Mine gave me my first buckeye last fall. This year it has aprox. 2 dozen seed pods on it's branch tips. I have not found it hard to grow this type of tree. I have it's offspring growing in a clay pot on my deck and it will be transplanted into the ground this fall near it's older relative.

I water it occasionally, especially during our hot Ohio summers. It is planted in southern Ohio clay soil, which is very hard, but I do place leaf compost around the base every year. My tree is about 15 feet tall and it's branches grow about 12-15" each year. As an avid Ohio State fan, I cherish my Buckeye tree greatly.

GO BUCKS!!!

Neutral sanity101 On Jun 3, 2005, sanity101 from Dublin, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Much as this is a very symbolic plant in (particularly central) Ohio, it has a very specific culture, and is not impressively adabtable to backyard growing. It tends to be found along creek beds much like willows (though it does not have the invasive roots of willows), and seldom thrives elsewhere.

If you are looking for something which looks similar, but will actually grow in your ohio yard, the bottebrush buckeye is much more easy going, with the same characteristic flowers and leaves, but in a shrub shape, with much smaller seeds.

Positive Custodian On Jan 22, 2003, Custodian from Canton {FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME}, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

My Buckeye Tree is nine years old and has yet to flower in the spring, or of course, produce buckeyes.

Deer, Arkansas