PlantFiles: Snapdragon
Antirrhinum majus

Family: Plantaginaceae
Genus: Antirrhinum (an-TEE-ry-num) (Info)
Species: majus (MAY-jus) (Info)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Orange

Thumbnail #5 of Antirrhinum majus by Floridian

Thumbnail #6 of Antirrhinum majus by Floridian

Thumbnail #7 of Antirrhinum majus by Floridian

Positive vossner On Jun 7, 2014, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I used to think snaps would not grow in my garden, until I understood they need consistently moist soil. My fave neighbor told me they reseeded for her so I gave them another chance in my garden, and that was 3 years ago. I check out the Lowes bargain bin for snaps and plant in my garden.

However, they are susceptible to fungal diseases in case of extreme moisture.

Positive birder17 On Mar 24, 2011, birder17 from Jackson, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

Snapdragons are one of my favorite garden plants. I have some that are perennial which really pleases me. "Black Prince" returns well. Some re-seed. I winter sow some every year. Their upright habit gives interest to the garden. They originated from the Mediterranean region, from Portugal, Morroco, France, Turkey and Syria.

Positive gramps22 On Nov 9, 2009, gramps22 from Middleburg, PA wrote:

I love snapdragons. They're so easy to grow and so beautiful. About six or eight years ago I bought a few six packs from an Amish girl at a local flea market, who told me this particular type was called, ever changing snapdragons, which meant that after each time they bloomed, the next color would be (and was) a different color, so say, after one group bloomed in yellow, the next time it might be red or pink or whatever. This went on all summer and into the cold months. Unfortunately we never got any of the seeds, thinking we would be able to buy the same kind the next year, which of course didn't happen. I've been looking for this same type of snapdragon ever since that year. I asked every person at every greenhouse and even asked that same girl who sold the first ones to me, they ALL look at me like I'm nuts and tell me there's no such thing. I just asked my wife if she remembers them and she says she does, so I think I'm not nuts. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me PLEASE? I'm beginning to think I got hold of an experiment that wasn't supposed to be in the hands of the general public at that time.

Positive kqcrna On Jan 2, 2008, kqcrna from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Snapdragons wintersow beautifully. I have sown them the past two years, various types and various dates and had excellent results with all.

Positive Opoetree On Aug 10, 2007, Opoetree from Oak View, CA wrote:

I started my snapdragons from a packet of mixed-color seeds. I have never replanted, but the plants come back faithfully year after year. I love the color variations and the somewhat exotic structure of the blossoms. Obviously easy-to-care-for and tolerant of frost and drought conditions.

Neutral Katze On Jun 8, 2007, Katze from Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I planted the 'Montego Mix' in two large pots that are about 8 feet apart; one pot receives about 4 hours of morning sun, the other about 2 hours of morning sun and 2 hours of afternoon sun. Both pots did well in early to mid May (this is early spring here). However, within the past few weeks, the snapdragons in pot that receives about 2 hours of afternoon sun are really struggling: not blooming, very wilted, etc. We added mulch in this pot to keep the soil at a cooler temp, but that hasn't helped very much.

In my opinion, it's probably best to plant these in part sun and/or in a spot where they get morning sun only.

Positive marsviolet On May 19, 2006, marsviolet from Stockholm
Sweden wrote:

The experience of growing a tall (80cm, 30in) snapdragon hybrid, sold here in Europe as 'Forerunner Crimson Velvet,' from seed has been a straightforward and rewarding experience. I sowed the seeds by pressing them into potting soil in late January and covered the trays in plastic. The seeds sprouted in ten days. In early May I hardened the seedlings for two days and then planted them out in a wind protected, southwestern position. Two weeks later the plants are really shooting up. The foliage is a lovely dark green with plum variagation. Anticipating flowers in early July...

Positive Gabrielle On Jan 16, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love the bright colors of snapdragons, and they will grow where a lot of other plants won't, even with a fair amount of shade. Here in zone 5a, the lower part of the plant is evergreen on most of my plants.

Stratification and light aid germination of seeds.

Positive renwings On Sep 3, 2005, renwings from Sultan, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant volunteered for me and makes a lovely companioon to my roses.
These bloom for me as long as the sun shines consistantly and are perennial. Like to be fairly moist but recover easily!
beautful and simple flower

Positive noxiousweed On Nov 12, 2003, noxiousweed from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Snapdragons are fun to grow - pinch them back to keep them bushy or they'll grow long and lean. Deadhead for reblooming. They are perennial here - bloom winter and summer. We've occasionally had trouble with rust or mildew.

Neutral Cajun2 On Sep 21, 2003, Cajun2 from (Carole) Cleveland, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My six year old daughter and I each bought one of these for our gardens. We had them in full sun, as recommended, but I don't think they mean TEXAS FULL SUN! Ours wilted terribly in this heat, so we moved them to a shadier location. The both did much better.

My red one (like red velvet) had three 'rest periods' (as I called them) and then three bloom periods. Very nice.

Sam's 'Malibu' (yellow & orange) never bloomed again; in fact we almost lost it twice. It's still hanging on, and now that it's almost fall I think we'll move it to a sunnier spot again to see if it might do better.

Neutral kabloom On May 30, 2003, kabloom from Alpharetta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I'm not crazy about having to stake my snapdragons. Wish I'd gotten a dwarf variety.

Positive lupinelover On Jul 29, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Snapdragons tend to bloom best in cool weather; they often bloom late into winter and again very early in spring into summer.

Best to cut them to the ground when hot weather arrives to prevent disease; they should re-sprout in late summer and go on to grow and flower by early fall.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 30, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Half-hardy Annual. The snapdragon has been developed for many years to become one of the most popular bedding plants grown. Available in a variety of forms, heights and hues, they provide color and a long bloom season for your garden plan. They are perennials, but usually grown as an annual. These plants will benefit from deadheading, which will prolong their flowering period. Seeds should be sown in the flower bed when the soil is warm or you may start them indoors 6-8 weeks before transplanting time. Do not cover the seeds with soil as they need light for germination.

Neutral jody On Nov 11, 2000, jody from MD &, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Snapdragons are short lived pernnials, often grown as annuals due to poor flowering after the first year. There are several cultivars that grow in heights anywhere from dwarf 10" to 30" tall. They spread about 12" to 18". They come in a range of colors from shades of pink, red, yellow, white and can flower from spring to autumn. Best cultivated in full sun, rich, well drained soil. Propagate from seed. Hardy zones 6-10.

Mobile, Alabama
Sitka, Alaska
Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Queen Creek, Arizona
Painesville, Ohio
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Atoka, Oklahoma
Bend, Oregon
Portland, Oregon (2 reports)
Lansdowne, Pennsylvania