Stalked Bulbine, Orange Bulbine

Bulbine frutescens

Family: Asphodelaceae (as-foh-del-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bulbine (BUL-bin-ee) (Info)
Species: frutescens (froo-TESS-enz) (Info)
Synonym:Bulbine caulescens

Bradenton, Florida

Brooksville, Florida

Chiefland, Florida

Crystal River, Florida

Deland, Florida (2 reports)

Fernandina Beach, Florida

Hobe Sound, Florida

Holt, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Lake City, Florida

Lake Worth, Florida

Melbourne Beach, Florida

Niceville, Florida

Oakland, Florida

Ocoee, Florida

Palm Coast, Florida (2 reports)

Pensacola, Florida

Valparaiso, Florida

Wellborn, Florida

Zephyrhills, Florida

Kihei, Hawaii

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Alamogordo, New Mexico

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Fair Play, South Carolina

Alice, Texas

Austin, Texas (5 reports)

Deer Park, Texas

San Marcos, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

On Mar 20, 2014, madeofstarstuff from Cinco Bayou, FL wrote:

We had the worst winter in about 20 years over here in Fort Walton Beach, FL this January. We even had snow! It got down to 16 degrees Fahrenheit one night.

The orange bulbine that I had planted the previous summer turned brown after our cold night, and some died. But some clung on to life with a few green leaves. Now, only two months later, they are growing back with a vengeance and I saw a flower starting to come up yesterday! I will definitely be dividing the survivors once they are larger.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they will survive a normal 8b winter.

On Nov 2, 2010, mekos from Fair Play, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I grow this as a house plant and love it.

On May 20, 2010, hardyinokc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

After a severe winter season, I was totally surprised to find that my bulbine survived the winter planted in the ground. The bed was mulched with 4-6" of straw over the winter. I noticed this week that it is coming back from the roots.

On Oct 13, 2009, RioRosie from Harlingen, TX wrote:

I had a corner of my yard that I thought was cursed. Nothing would grow there.
This area of the yard gets full, blazing hot sun for 8-10 hours of the day in Deep South Texas (10 miles from the US-Mexico border).
I finally bought a couple bulbine and put them into the ground, watered them with some Miracle Gro. Within days, they started sending up flowers. They took hold and are just beautiful after only a few weeks, continually sending up more and more flowers.
I haven't done anything special with them: they're out there, baking in the relentless heat and are filling in very nicely. I water a couple times a week, unless it rains.
Buoyed by my success, I bought two more bulbine and planted them in my neighbor-lady's garden. (She has terrible luck with all plan... read more

On Jul 5, 2009, flaflwrgrl from North Central , FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Have it in the hot sun, full sun for 8 or 9 hours per day, grows like rip, blooms nearly all year, tolerates drought like nobody's business. Bees love it, so do butterflies and I do too!

On May 20, 2009, jaiben from Dallas, TX wrote:

I love this plant because it takes care of itself, with little attention from a nongardener. I have a Bulbine grouping under a redbud tree in my front yard in Dallas, and it does well with dappled sunlight.

On May 6, 2009, rivermama from Perry, OK wrote:

I bought two of these while visiting Texas last week. As soon as I put them on the patio, hummingbirds began to visit them. I'm always looking for plants that hummingbirds like and bulbine fits the bill.

On Jun 9, 2008, Bulbifan from Roodepoort
South Africa wrote:

Easy grower. Grows in South Africa and used by traditional healers as a face beautifier and for cracked lips in winter. My own experience: It is an excelent treatment for the following... Insect bites and stings (bees and mosquitos), sunburn, bleeding stopper, skin rasches, and a lady with facial skin cancer can testify that her cancer has gone since using the sap on her face. I saw it and she retained no marks afterwards. I have had it in my garden for 3 years, and will keep it as long as I live. If you mix the sap with Aquous cream, you can take it with you on holiday.

On Mar 16, 2008, ogrejelly from Gilbert, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

This beauty did so well in the Phoenix area until the dead of summer when it just cooked. It almost made it through the sumemr but it was just too hot in the full sun all day. I just bought another and will place him in partial shade to try again. I hope it works as this was one of my favorites.

The other cool thing is that this plant can work in a variety of landscapes.

On Aug 3, 2005, Stuber from Fernandina Beach, FL wrote:

Grows well here in N. Florida (8b-9a) and readily available in garden centers, flea markets, farmers markets, etc. None I've seen flower as heavily as in some of the attached photos, however, and they tend to get a bit "leggy" looking in these parts at times. May be a function of the higher humidity and rainfall we experience than Texas and other areas where it appears to be quite popular.

On May 9, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

this is a great low-maintenance plant. I have mine potted have not had opportunity to divide as of this posting.

On Mar 13, 2005, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Atlanta - about three years ago, I bought two of these. Planted one and kept the other in a container. The planted one did not make it over the winter and the container one was over wintered the garage. It is now very big and needing repotting. Lovely plant but I think Atlanta was too cold for it to live outside.

On Jun 16, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Great little plant, very easy to grow. To propagate, simply break off "plantlets" (sections of the plant made up of three to six green "leaves" ~ look at the closeup pic I posted and it'll be obvious what I'm talking about) and pot them up in free draining soil just to the crown (right below where the "leaves" start turning green). Keep them watered after they dry out.

I have both orange/yellow flowered form and the yellow flowered form. Both are easily propagated this way.

On Jun 8, 2004, dstartz from Deep South Texas, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant! It is easy to grow, needs virtually no care, makes new plants readily and blooms for months.

I grow this in my container garden and every few months my husband will divide it into several new containers with each filling to the pot's capacity within 3-4 months.

I grow it in dappled shade and water lightly every 3-4 days in the heat of the summer.

On Aug 20, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, TX
A native of South Africa, the bulbine is commonly called burn jelly plant because the sap in the leaves is used for healing burns,cuts, stings and rashes in the same way an aloe vera is used. Pest and disease free, quite drought resistent (withstanding several weeks without supplemental water if necessary), long bloom time (almost all year), blooms do not fade for a long period, requiring little fertilizer, fast growth, easily propagated, not fussy about soil (except it must be well drained), evergreen (withstood 19 degree weather), likes the heat and showy - what more could one ask for! I am delighted with this plant which should be utilized more.

Do not over water, especially in fall and winter.
Give enough room to spread.
... read more

On Feb 5, 2003, Biddy from Cape Town
South Africa wrote:

I bought this plant about 3 months ago. It is in the full sun in a pot it has now overgrown. It has turned about to be one of the most beautiful sights in my garden. It is mid-summer now and it is blooming profusely. The blooms seem to stretch out towards the a sunflower does!
An easy, water-wise plants with great results.
Love it and recommend it.