Tropical Hibiscus
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Mrs Jimmy Spangler'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: rosa-sinensis (RO-sa-sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Mrs Jimmy Spangler

Round Rock, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

Spring, Texas

On Jun 1, 2012, thyme4jb from Elgin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I just received a Mrs. Jimmy Spangler Hibiscus...gorgeous! I have read that they die back in winter and reappear in the spring, if they are planted in the ground. Is this correct? Any special tips on giving this lovely plant the life it deserves??

On Oct 12, 2005, geekgranny from Cedar Hill, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I picked up several of these at HD this summer, in 1 gal and less pots, although they were labeled as "Mrs. J. Spangler". The center is a deep pink to my eye ( I have seen people refer to it as "red"). Although it can't rival, yet, my 7+ ft "trees" in size and may never do so it has become my very, very, most favorite single. geekgranny

On Oct 9, 2005, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

We have had this plant for several years, and brought it with us when we moved here from Houston. When moving in Oct., a limb broke off. I pushed it into the dirt and it now rivals the parent plant. a real beauty. Blooms for months.

On Sep 11, 2005, candywraps from Missouri City, TX wrote:

This shrub was slow to grow in comparison to my other 'red/yellow' hibiscus'. The color of the flower is just spectacular...I could look at it all day. My experience is that Mrs. Jimmy Spangler grows well and blooms tremendously in late Summer until Winter. This is one of my favorites.

On May 22, 2005, rosary01 from Plano, TX wrote:

I live in Plano, TX near Dallas. I planted a one gallon Mrs. Jimmy Spangler Hibiscus last summer (2004) and it bloomed profusely all summer. The bush itself did not grow much and so I was really surprised at the multitude of flowers it produced. However, the winter weather did it in and it did not survive. If I were able to find one again, I think I would have to either treat it as an annual, or keep it in a pot so I could bring it in during cold weather.

On May 3, 2005, Kauai17 from Leander, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I saved this hibiscus from HD. The bright colors really caught my eye and I just couldn't resist. The flower just really stands out against the dark green leaves. This has been my first hibiscus to bloom this year.