PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Blue Girl'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Girl
Additional cultivar information: (aka Cologne Carnival, Klner Karneval, KORgi)
Hybridized by Kordes; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1964

Class:
Hybrid Tea

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:

Bush

Other Details:
Susceptible to black spot

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by carolann

By WillowWasp
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by WillowWasp

Positive KittyGalore On May 3, 2014, KittyGalore from Antioch, IL wrote:

I live in northern Illinois zone 5a and have had blue girl for three years. It is my FAVORITE rose because of the color, lovely scent, and it blooms all summer consistently...I do deadhead and that helps. It survived our worst coldest winter in the last thirty years and my MR Lincoln did not and mr Lincoln is cold hardy here and blue girl is supposedly not. I cut mine down to 1 foot and cover with the thickest rose cover you could buy and then cover that with one foot of mulch. I also deeply water...slow trickle for 1 to 2 hrs once a week during growing season...i did not uncover them until mid April this year and there were no buds...now on may 2nd it is budding like crazy!! I bought mine from he depot do 30$ but it was big when I bought it. I am thinking I am going to buy another one from menards...they r smaller but on sale for 2 bucks and look healthy...we will see.

Neutral lancer23 On Jul 6, 2013, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I have many roses but this one got a lot of black spot. As reported by another review, I got mine from a big store bare rooted. First yr it got a lot of bloom but the second yr, very little bloom. Its a weak rose by any means. The scent is lovely though. I don't think I want this rose if I have to do it again.

Positive Gforceforever On May 6, 2013, Gforceforever from North Terre Haute, IN wrote:

Blue Girl is my all-time favorite tea rose. Its color and fragrance are absolutely divine, and I have many varieties to choose from regarding scent. I planted several at the back of my home, which faces south, and they are sheltered under the eave of the house, so the sun does not fry the leaves, but they get plenty of light. The more I cut them back, the more vigorously they grow and bloom. Yes, sometimes they get black-spot, but it doesn't kill them. It goes away as new leaves generate. I fertilize every other year, and have used horse manure to do so on occasion. The soil is poor and dry behind my house, but it does not seem to bother my Blue Girls! They continue to be a source of Heaven each Spring and beyond, and I will buy every last one as I find them, because they are difficult to find in my location at stores.

Negative monniemon On Apr 8, 2011, monniemon from Lansdale, PA wrote:

I purchase blue girl four seasons ago. Purchase as a potted rose, it established itself quickly, sending out long very thick canes. The reblooming is very quick, but she drops her petals very quickly,i would say within a day or 2, she doesnot make for a cut flower either, she will only last in a vase approx. one day before she falls apart.

Blue Girl has a wonderful strong scent, but, she is a beetle magnet, i have 88 roses and blue girl always has beetles where the other lavender varieties (barbra streisand,and sweetness) dont. For these reasons i have shoveled blue girl and replaced her with Stephens Big Purple.

Negative alsdaughter On Mar 30, 2011, alsdaughter from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I live in San Francisco & planted a bare root (packed in wood shavings) Blue Girl in a large pot on January 2 (in honor of my late father's birthday, I also planted a Peace rose in the ground, which is doing wonderfully). It is almost April and NOTHING has happened with the Blue Girl while the Peace is full of beautiful, glossy leaves. I thought that the pot may be the problem so I transplanted it into the ground today in a slightly sunnier spot, adding some all-purpose fertilizer and wood ash to encourage strong roots because when I dug it up (3 months after the initial planting) there was no sign of root growth whatsoever. I am hoping that this new spot will spur growth. I was so excited for a blue flower in my garden! I will update if anything changes and would welcome any suggestions. Thanks!

Neutral FLOWER_FANATIC On Oct 25, 2010, FLOWER_FANATIC from Columbus, OH wrote:

Columbus, Ohio (zone 5a/6b). Never been able to get this plant to grow back from planting in the ground the following year. Wonderful scent and form, but doesnt seem to be for Columbus, Ohio weather. Spent blooms tend to turn brown on the edges so doesn't look very nice once they start to die.
Other than that, it's beautiful rose that smells citrus-sy.

Positive themikeman On Sep 1, 2010, themikeman from Concord, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is one of the few roses i have in my garden. I have been growing it for 18 years. Before i lived in my own home and lived in an appartment I had two blue girls in 2 large 10 gallon pots on my back porch. I still have one of these!! The other one froze-out above the root zone and the runners it sent out were not that of a blue girl but a red dr huey becuse my blue girl was apparently grafted onto a root stock of one of these as a baby!!

Positive crisymei On Jul 19, 2010, crisymei from WILSONVILLE
United States wrote:

I have owned my Blue Girl for several months and it produces a few cute buds. I am just fascinated with its lovely lavender color and fresh scent. The only problem about this rose might be the fact that it suffers from black spot, especially considering that I am living at the humid Northwestern coast. I keep using baking soda solution to mist over it once every few days and it's under control now.

Positive litisk On Jun 27, 2010, litisk from Gold Canyon, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

The plant itself is very pretty and very healthy. I am just not a real lover of the blue roses. I most prefer the usual colors. But I have no complaints at all about Blue Girl. It produces lots of blooms and they are very pretty, IF you like the blue roses. I wouldn't buy this plant again only because of my preferences. If you like the blue blooms, then this is a great plant to have.

Neutral HolyChickin On May 10, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I love this rose but it doesn't love my area. I didn't even know what blackspot was before I got my Blue Girl.

I have had it for about 2 years now and I have been constantly battling blackspot. I live in S. Florida and it is extremely humid here. So I can never get rid of it. No matter what I do! I have used spray anti-fungal, I have used anti-fungal that is applied to the roots, I water the bottom of the plant in the morning, remove all infected leaves and any leaves that have fallen in the soil and still the Blue Girl looks like a shaved poodle!! It has only bloomed a handful of times and when it finally DOES bloom, there is only one bud (because of all the blackspot), and that's it. Oh... if only I lived in a drier climate!! It is so sad because if the weather was a little drier, it would be BEAUTIFUL!! Because when it does bloom, it's stunning!

I am currently using a disease control spray that has helped BUT, it still has blackspot. Since I started using this product, I am noticing a few more buds (and quite a few more leaves) this time around which is good... BUT, if I had a chance to do it all over again, I would probably go with a different lavender rose.

Positive himmelstanzer On Jun 4, 2009, himmelstanzer from Blue Island, IL wrote:

This rose is a constant in my garden. The smell reminds me of a combination of cold cream and lemon oil. If anything, it reminds me of my mother and she always comes to mind whenever I smell this rose. I can remember smelling the air of lemon oil and the cold cream and this rose is perfect whenever I remember my childhood. This is definitely a mother's day rose. I even got my mother hooked on growing this rose in Guam where it is doing quite well. Excellent rose wherever it grows!!

Positive winterkill On Sep 19, 2008, winterkill from Walworth, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Although this rose might be a little tender for my Zone 5 garden, I will see if it comes back next year for me. The color of this rose is nothing short of spectacular, very rare as far as roses go. The fragrance is strong citrus. Unfortunately this rose seems to be the most attractive to Japanese beetles, but why I do not know. Out of the seven roses I have lining my path, they attacked only this one. It was also defoliated by blackspot but then again we had a wet summer with bizarre temperature fluctuations so that is not surprising. I will update on whether this rose survives my winters.

Positive Big_Ed On Jun 30, 2008, Big_Ed from Somerville, MA wrote:

I purchased this Rose in late March, planted it as soon as I could dig a hole, by the middle of April I had buds, and by the beginning of June I had 2 in a vase in my house. Excellant Rose for cutting. It has a mild but nice fragrance, and a wonderful light mauve color. Reminds me of the Angel Face,and the Royal Amethyst I have but not as deep colored, or as fragrant, but still a beautiful Rose.

Positive Always_Chris On Jan 25, 2008, Always_Chris from Lafayette, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

My all time favorite rose. I've grown this one everywhere from Lafayette, Louisiana to Spokane, Washington. It does much better here in the south. Best color if it has plenty of shade. The fragrance is remarkable. Not affected by blackspot any more than any other rose bush is and easy to keep in check with a monthly spraying of a milk and water solution. Sounds nuts, I know, but it really does keep the blackspot away.

Positive DriftingDude On Dec 16, 2007, DriftingDude from Charleston, SC wrote:

I live in zone 8 hot & humid coastal south. I have three in my yard. All three bloom throughout the summer even July & August. The blooms last couple days in that heat but it was nice to have a rose blooming then. The bushes did developed some bs but kept under control by spraying. The blooms are a deep mauve early spring & fall.

Positive Leehallfae On Oct 1, 2007, Leehallfae from Seattle, WA wrote:

Blue Girl is the most fragrant of all my roses.

The color is outstanding, too.

Highly recommend this one.

Positive greenlawn On Apr 26, 2007, greenlawn from Albany, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a beautiful rose. My husband bought this for me about 8-9 years ago. When we moved I dug it up and took it with me.I just couldn't leave it! It took a little time to recover, but it seems to be doing well now. Definatly worth making a space in your garden for.

Positive Starlet On Jul 1, 2005, Starlet from Spring, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

In my experience this rose bounces back from disease and injury better than the average hybrid tea. It has an interesting color and a fresh scent and makes a good cut flower.

Positive rh3708 On May 6, 2005, rh3708 from Westmoreland, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is my second year to grow this rose i like the color how it will start out pink and turn a tint of lavender.
:}
RH

Positive Nurafey On Apr 22, 2003, Nurafey from Polk City, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is my favourite rose to grow. It is relatively easy to grow, has few thorns (compared to other roses) and has a beautiful lavender colour. The fragrance is as far from the perfumie "grandmother" rose smell as possible, it is delicate and sweet, in my opinion, the perfect rose fragrance. The flowers are beautiful, and make wonderful cut flowers for arrangements.

Positive Kelli On Mar 14, 2003, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Though the flower color hardly approximates blue, nor did I expect it to, the plant is a prolific bloomer.

Positive MistySkye On Mar 13, 2003, MistySkye wrote:

Kordes, Germany 1964
Awards: Rome Gold Medal 1964
Large blooms on vigorous bush. Flowers have a light fruity fragrance
Color: Silver Lilac