PlantFiles: Tropical Hibiscus
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Red Hot'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: rosa-sinensis (RO-sa-sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Hot

Thumbnail #6 of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis by ceedub

By Kim_M
Thumbnail #7 of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis by Kim_M

Positive ceedub On Sep 10, 2007, ceedub from Whitby, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

I'm saying positive for this plant because I'm absolutely thrilled with both its leaves and flowers. The flowers are a spectacular red, despite not being as big as some hibiscuses, and the leaves are amazing when kept in the hot sun. I have the best luck with it outside getting direct sun for at least eight hours, giving it a daily soaking, and I mean so that water runs out the bottom, and with a dish underneath to catch the water so that it sits in the water. It blooms insanely for me, unless I forget to water it - in that case it will lose leaves and drop buds. When I bring it inside for the winter, it loses all its leaves, but they grow back within a couple of weeks and it starts blooming again, but not nearly as much. The leaves are green when its in the house, but you can see the flowers much better! Definitely a high maintenance hibiscus, but its worth the effort.

Neutral lindakilgore10 On Aug 3, 2007, lindakilgore10 from Dothan, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

When I bought this plant on sale,the lady said that she never saw a bloom on them last year.I have had it for a moth now and I have yet to a bloom.When I first saw it I thought it was some kind of Japenese maple.To me it looks more like a tree.Oh yeah,it really likes alot of water,water and more water...lol

Positive Jamespayne On May 11, 2004, Jamespayne from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had the "Red-Hot" hibiscus in a large pot for over a year. This is a variety of Hibiscus that is different from any other variety I have ever grown, and I live in central Florida where Hibiscus are everywhere! This variety is grown mainly for it's bright red foilage. The deep red flowers are very small and are hidden by the bright red foilage. In full sun the red hot Hibiscus needs twice the water of an average Hibiscus, and it also needs the sun to become bright red. It also seems to be more cold-tender than my other varieties of Hibiscus, and the leaves will burn just from a 60 degree brisk wind in the Fall. I rate this plant a positive for it's red foilage, but a neutral if you are looking for breath-taking flowers.

Daytona Beach, Florida