PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Double Delight'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Double Delight
Additional cultivar information: (PP3847, aka Andeli)
Hybridized by Swim & Ellis; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1977

Flower Fragrance:
Very Fragrant

Habit:
Shrub
Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Other Details:
Susceptible to black spot
Susceptible to mildew

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by doglover

By KactusKathi
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by KactusKathi

Positive FlowerGem1 On Apr 13, 2014, FlowerGem1 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I've had two Double Delight rose bushes for years now, I even move with them, and they survived beautifully. They are repeat bloomers, always blooming early in the season until late in the fall. One bush is in part shade, and it still produces flowers. The buds are beautiful, as are the open roses. They are great as cut roses for inside, and I love their strong fragrance. Even though I do have to spray these roses bushes, I would highly recommend them.

Positive Otkon On Apr 5, 2013, Otkon from Columbus, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

There is a reason this is the first rose I ever bought. It is stunning to the eye and to the nose. But that beauty comes with a price. They are extremely high maintenance. On a good year, the blooms can be the size of a grapefruit and can be smelled from five feet away. On a bad year, this rose is a fungus and pest magnet. Still, it is an incomparable rose with canes that can grow very tall with relatively few thorns.

Positive Jez_Roth On Sep 20, 2012, Jez_Roth from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted this lovely rose in late Spring of 2012 where it received full sun with a slow drip irrigation, coffee grounds, mulch, and lots of love and now have bestowed her with the crown as Queen of my rose garden.

As it's only a several month old plant, I couldn't ask for anything more from it. Healthy, outward growth, it blooms over and over, giving me full, rich blooms that are rich in scent and are just striking. The insane Vegas sun causes so many of my roses, including another winner, Midnight Blue, to fade but not Double Delight. Rich red fading to a soft yellow in the center. I already took several cuts to give as gifts to friends and they were beside themselves that it was already suitable for cuttings.

Highly recommend.

Positive tgwWhale On Dec 7, 2010, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

If this is not the best hybrid tea ever created, I would like to see a better one. The flowers are large and fragrant, though they have the "spicy" scent that I am not particularly fond of. The plant grows vigorously and has a fine bushy growth habit. Typically it will throw 8 to 10 blooms at once, though these are not all open at exactly the same time. But you can get a bouquet from just one bush when you get lucky. The flower form varies. Sometimes it is exhibition-perfect; sometimes it is not.

When it comes to surviving Wisconsin winters, if Double Delight is boxed up and buried in ground, it "takes a licking but keeps on ticking," as the old watch advertisement said. When I un-bury it in the spring, only 4 or 5 inches of stems are typically live; but by the end of August, the bush is up to 4 feet high and, as I said, sports a whole bouquet of blooms at once.

Double Delight is very susceptible to powdery mildew. I spray my roses weekly for black spot, but the best black spot spray does not work well on powdery mildew. So I have to use a different spray about once a month or so on my Double Delights (and Europeanas)

I currently have two Double Delights. One is grafted, while the other is grown "own root." The grafted rose is far, far better: a more vigorous grower with many more blooms.

In my experience Double Delight is just about the best hybrid tea that I have ever planted.

Positive AZ_Alkmaar On Jul 18, 2010, AZ_Alkmaar from Westfield, IN wrote:

I have had DD for the last four years. First two years, it was extremely susceptible to black spot here in Westfield, Indiana. Starting June it was defoliating till the fall. Fungicides did not help. Last year I changed the place and transplanted DD in my backyard. When I was a child I lived with my grandmother. She used to discard used tea leaves under the rosebushes and they never get any diseases. Since i am heavy tea drinker I have plenty tea leaves next morning to discard. I strated feeding DD with tea leaf extract. Beleive or not, I have not had any black spot symptoms afterwards. Now my DD makes me really delighted. The bush is very healthy and about 5 foot tall, bloom is huge and exceptionally fragrant. I believe tea leaves are changing the pH of soil surrounding the bush, makes it acidic. Fungi hate acidic soil and they perhaps do not survive....that is my theory....

Positive litisk On Jun 27, 2010, litisk from Gold Canyon, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

Hands down, my favorite of all roses. The scent is amazing and the color of the blooms is incredible. I have had great luck with this rose. It produces massive blooms for me and the plant is loaded with blooms. I have 2 Double Delight tree roses and 2 Double Delight rose bushes. I will be buying more Double Delights when we move from California to Arizona.

Positive genshiro On Jun 19, 2010, genshiro from Whitby

The double delight rose is one of my favorite and most hardy roses. It grows well for me in (USDA) zone 4b with no winterization other than placement in a relatively protected area (a south facing wall). It has always remained healthy and bloomed profusely with bloom color changing (it seems) with the weather. Sometimes the roses are almost all red and sometimes almost all white with many shades of red, cream and white in between. They are always beautiful and unique. In speaking with other gardeners in the area, the Double Delight appears to be one of the most popular roses grown in this area.

Negative george1975 On Jun 17, 2010, george1975 from Hopatcong, NJ wrote:

I bought this rose almost 2 months ago, mostly because of its beautiful blooms, and this is what attracted me to buy it; however after i planted, the petals fell quicly and it has not bloomed since then. I planted it in a half sun, half shaded area, and have done everything to get it to bloom, but have had no results at all. I have fertilized, pruned it, watered daily and nothing seems to work. I wish i can get back those full blooms, i saw it at the store with. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what can i be doing wrong, i am new to Roses.

Positive dontruman On May 24, 2010, dontruman from Victoria, TX wrote:

Very vigorous and repeat bloomer. (For novices, my recommendations are for roses that have been properly planted in well drained soil. There are numerous sites on the Internet describing the process.) I live in Zone 9a (Victoria, Texas - same latitude as Orlando, Florida and Cairo, Egypt) and I recommend partial shade for most hybrid roses grown this far south. Morning sun by itself is best. Grown under the drip line of a free-standing deciduous tree is second best since the plant receives several hours of morning & afternoon sun while receiving protection from the sun during the heat of the day in summer and full sun during winter. A pecan tree is ideal because it has such a long winter dormancy period. Afternoon sun is my third choice but it varies with the heat tolerance of each plant. I've had good results with only three or four hours of afternoon sun against a brick wall background.

Our daytime high temperatures average in the 90's for four months beginning in June. Full sunlight puts a serious strain on the plant's ability to supply sufficient water to its extremities to allow for new growth and flowers. For those unavoidable full sun areas I recommend roses that have received Texas A & M University's Earth-Kind designation or plants from nurseries that specialize in heat tolerant roses such as The Antique Rose Emporium. Some nurseries in my area do not even sell hybrid tea roses. The offerings at Home Depot, Lowes & other large chain stores and the Internet are very tempting and they can grow well with proper control over light and water.

Adjust your faucet to a slow trickle and leave it for 12 to 24 hours and test the ground with your finger to see how far the soaking has spread, then move the hose to the next location. Judicious use of shade and weekly deep root soaking can allow rose lovers in the deep south to grow the more tender hybrid varieties that normally burn up during the summer. And don't forget to mulch. I recommend 2 - 3 inches of shredded cedar. Cedar mulch resists being washed away and the lighter color reflects the sun light and keeps the roots cooler.

Positive sunreigns On May 16, 2010, sunreigns from Omaha, NE wrote:

Transplanted this from FIL's garden to an east-exposure site with partial shade at my former house about 10 years ago. Bloomed great, and everything people have said about the outstanding fragrance is true, thought I do recall some minor (but not troublesome) blackspot. I have since moved from that house, but I drive by in summer every now and again to see how the rose is doing, and as of last summer it was still doing great. I just bought two DDs for my current house and am planting them this weekend. I strongly recommend.

Positive HolyChickin On May 10, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

I bought this rose on sale a few years ago. The smell is amazing, you can literally smell it 10 feet away! The blooms are fantastic!

Everything about it was great but, because where I live is SO humid, I almost always had black spot! Of course all the leaves would fall off, then they would start to grow back and BAM, blackspot again! I tried everything and nothing worked! I was loosing my mind! Then some sort of fungus attacked it... I saw some "spores" fly up when I scratched the soil to loosen it up (like I do every 4 weeks or so). I replaced the soil... not long after that, the plant just died after we had a straight week of rain. I really don't know what happened. I assume it was just too much water. I was pretty bummed because it was one of my favorite roses.

Well, I saw that Jackson & Perkins has roses specifically bred for coastal areas (called Fortunina) and they just so happened to have a Double Delight. I loved it so much I got it again about 4 months ago and haven't really had an issue since I got the different breed! Well, except for the leaf notcher weevils... but those things are chomping on everything! Besides that, the Double Delight is doing GREAT! I still have a little bit of black spot, but it is completely under control. It is actually blooming like crazy right now, smelling up the place... I open the back door and get hit in the face with roses. I LOVE IT!

FYI on the Leaf Notcher Weevils, I applied Bayer Rose & Flower Insect Killer and I am finally seeing little white carcasses on the ground. FINALLY! Those things resisted pretty much EVERYTHING!

Positive rexian On Jun 26, 2009, rexian from Columbia, MD wrote:

There is nothing more delightful to see double delight's period of bloom and how it changes color under sun. It is growing in a 24" pot on my deck. I may move it to the patio downstairs next year. But, what a beauty to look at. Absolutely stunning and low maintenance. Bought it at local Walmart for 9 bucks...well worth it.

Positive monniemon On Jun 10, 2009, monniemon from Lansdale, PA wrote:

The Double Delight is true to its name, it is a delight to smell and a delight to look at. I have 3 double delights among my garden of 68 roses here in zone 6. Often at times when it blooms there are 2 or 3 different flowers on this plant, some more hot pink on the edges, while others are more red.

This rose has a great scent that any nose would approve of. it does get b.s. but spraying weekly can keep that controlled. It blooms all summer, even in late fall i still have blooms on this plant.

monniemon

Positive ahaddock On Apr 5, 2009, ahaddock from Thousand Oaks, CA wrote:

An outstanding rose; an anchor to any garden. It lives up to its reputation in the literature, guides, blogs, etc., as a fragrant and reliable rose.

Neutral Joan On Apr 4, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 3847 has expired
Positive BDavidson On Apr 13, 2008, BDavidson from Harrisonville, MO wrote:

This Rose is all that the others have said - beautiful, most wonderful rose fragrance and grows for me and that is a miracle. I live in Region 5 so it gets some of the coldest and the warmest here. Have had a little Black Spot problem but if I would tend to it as I should, it is managable. It is planted in a small bed against the house so it is protected from some of the worst weather. If for nothing else than the smell, I would have this rose but the rose buds are equally wonderful! Staying tightly twisted early on.

Positive ladyannne On May 1, 2006, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Each rose is a different, unique blend of yellow and red, always a new treasure each morning. One of my favorites.

Positive angelam On Jan 18, 2006, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

This rose flowers profusely in Spring and Autumn with a break during the peak of the Summer heat in our Zone 10 garden. In Spring the flowers are cream with a red rim to the petals, but in Autumn mainly red, and noticeably smaller. I find this rose less susceptible to black spot than other roses in the garden and the perfume is wonderful. I wouldn't be without it.

Positive ineedacupoftea On Jan 18, 2006, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

The rosey red appears as the sun touches it, and cooler weather brings on richer color as well. Long-lasting cut flower.

Positive Larabee On Nov 9, 2005, Larabee from Houston, TX wrote:

This is my all time, absolute favorite rose. If I could only grow one kind of rose, this would be it. Every gardener should have one or a dozen of these. The fragrance is the exact "rose smell" you think of when you think of roses or smell rose-scented lotions or perfumes. I planted mine as the only rose by my front door, and she makes quite a statement. The form is beautiful, and she does not need much attention at all as long as you plant her in good soil in lots of sunshine. A must have.

Positive EricaVee On Jun 11, 2005, EricaVee from Norwell, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I started this rose last year with a bunch of other roses and it grew better than all of them. This year they all survived a particularly bad winter, but this one is struggling to come back. It's June already and while the other roses have buds, this one is still trying to grow some decent leaves

Positive Gindee77 On May 21, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

An excellent rose! It has it all...fragrance that unparalleled; color that will knock your socks off; form of the best show rose; and nice long stems and a long vase-life for cutting.

Positive MikenMyrtle On May 13, 2005, MikenMyrtle from Myrtle Beach, SC wrote:

I am a new gardener of roses. This plant has just taken off and is way ahead of the other first year bushes I have in my rose bed. The bush is covered with blooms, and, as advertised, the fragrance is really wonderful.

I am really glad I was advised to purchase Double Delight.

Positive JulieGeek On Feb 16, 2005, JulieGeek from Elgin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

The fragrance is just amazing. I'm growing Double Delight in Elgin, TX, and I can smell it through Thanksgiving. It's beautiful.

Neutral Paulwhwest On Apr 16, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is one of the most beautiful roses I've ever seen, and has the best fragrance! It forms a nice little bush, and blooms from spring until frost.

It won four different awards including All-America Rose Selection in 1977, World Rose Hall of Fame in 1985, Baden-Baden Fragrance Award in 1976, and James Alexander Gamble Fragrance Medal in 1986.

Update (8/9/07): Although it was beautiful when was doing well, my 'Double Delight' has done progressively worse year after year and now needs replacing. It apparently doesn't handle the harsh Texas summers well compared to other roses.

Positive drjjdonovan On Aug 6, 2003, drjjdonovan from Waukegan, IL wrote:

Excellent fragrance with nice pointed form, though the whorl is sometimes doubled and cluttered. I have grown Double Delight in So. California, Florida, Michigan and Chicago. It has done well in each location, though I need to watch for black spot in the Great Lakes region.

Gives the best color in alkaline soil; I add lime here in Chicago. Its color should be cream and red. If it looks pink and white, add lime.

Positive Lavanda On Jun 1, 2003, Lavanda from Mcallen, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

The parentage of this rose is

Seed: Granada (Hybrid Tea, Lindquist, 1963)
Pollen: Garden Party (Hybrid Tea, Swim, 1959)

Neutral lupinelover On Oct 17, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is one of the most fragrant Hybrid Tea roses available. Even if it were not for the outstanding color combinations it would be worth growing just for the scent. Spraying program must be rigorously followed in climates where fungal infection is likely.

Double Delight makes an outstanding standard, or grown as a bedding bush.

Huntsville, Alabama
Panama City, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Marietta, Georgia
Kuna, Idaho
Chicago, Illinois (2 reports)
Glendale Heights, Illinois