Tropical Hibiscus
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Rum Runner'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: rosa-sinensis (RO-sa-sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Rum Runner
Additional cultivar information:(Bahama Bay Tropical Hibiscus series)
Hybridized by Schlueter

Santa Fe, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

Vancouver, Washington

On Feb 24, 2010, ExoticHibiscus from Myakka City, FL wrote:

The picture show is Erin Rachael by Curt Sinclair and Rumrunner was hybridized by Dale and Cindi Armstrong of St. Petersburg, FL. and not Barry.

On Apr 29, 2009, sherrienell from Midland, TX wrote:

I am a beginner gardener and my first two Hibiscus did not make it due to my negligence during the winter but I recently purchased a new one and thus far I am enjoying the blooms. I had it in the sun room but I 've placed it on our patio. What puzzles me is why does the leaves turn yellow? What do I need to do take care of my Hibiscus, I don't want to lose another one. Thanks for any help.

On Jul 17, 2007, AmandaTaylor7 from Alvin, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

These have a very beautiful flower! My husband and I bought both of ours at the local HD for around $16 and they were in 1 gallon container pots. We left the first one we bought out in it's pot in the backyard with NO watering (other than rain) and no fertilizing for at least a month. It kept flowering for a whiel, but as you can imagine, it began losing it's leaves. I walked out one day while we were preparing to landscape our backyard and noticed our forgotten beauty so I planted it quickly in a bed, mulched it and have been fertilizing it weekly with a foliar fertilizer and I also used a granular fertilizer when I planted it. It is looking MUCH better but it's still not as full as i'd like for it to be. By next year it will be though. We just put this one through too much!!
... read more

On Sep 19, 2006, jamie68 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have really enjoyed this plant this year!! The blooms are constant, and oh so colorful - a wonderful mix of pink, tan, orange, red, maroon and fuschia.....almost has to be seen to be appreciated. I will be overwintering this with my Brugs, and hope to see even more from this one next year! GORGEOUS!!!

On Jun 26, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful bloomer. Small blooms ~ about 4 inches across, maybe 5. Still very nice.