PlantFiles: Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Sunsprite'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sunsprite
Additional cultivar information: (PP3509, aka Fresia, Friesia, KORresia)
Hybridized by Kordes; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1973

Class:
Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Deep yellow (dy)

Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust
Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by chicochi3

By cloudia
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by cloudia

Positive tgwWhale On Jan 1, 2011, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

This is a beautiful yellow floribunda. Others have commented on its good fragrance, and I agree with them. I had one that lasted about five years, but almost died every winter. Finally, it did die, at least to the point that what little growth remained would not bloom. So I replaced it with another. The second one died a lot more quickly than the first, due to our nasty NE Wisconsin winter.

Although Sunsprite is a beautiful bush, it is not good as a cutflower. The stems are short even for a floribunda, and the blooms last for a very short period of time. I have seen fresh-cut blooms last less than a day when it is warm.

I rated this rose as "positive" based on the one I had that lasted five years; but I do think that this rose is better for warmer climates than NE Wisconsin (Zone 5).

Positive vossner On May 1, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got this rose b/c of its fragrance and I have not been disappointed.

Neutral Joan On Apr 4, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 3509 has expired
Positive marsue On Mar 17, 2008, marsue from Isabella, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

I simply love this rose! We bought 3 of these tree roses in May, 2007. They bloomed all summer right through till first frost. The best thing about them is the fragrance. It is so wonderful that you just want to stick your nose in the middle of a bloom and leave it there--simply marvelous!!

Positive BlueGlancer On Mar 21, 2007, BlueGlancer from South/Central, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This rose smells so good. I recently found one at Lowes that was loaded with blackspot. It was a tree rose and they sold it to me for five dollars. I brought it home, cut it back, pulled all the leaves off, sprayed and fertilized it.

So far, it is recovering nicely. It's tag said it orginally came from Jackson and Perkins. Beautiful rose. : )

Positive soulgardenlove On Feb 19, 2007, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

From HGTV.com's list of Carefree roses by Mary C. Weaver:
'Sunsprite': Yellow roses often have a reputation as disease magnets because the gene responsible for adding yellow to modern cultivars' color palette also brought high sensitivity to blackspot fungus. 'Sunsprite'--a floribunda introduced in 1977 by Kordes of Germany, a hybridizer known for its healthy roses--doesn't deserve this rap. This sturdy rose produces large, flat, double sunny yellow blooms with a strong scent that some liken to cinnamon toast. Moderately prickly, it has light-green, glossy , disease-resistant leaflets.

Considered by many the best yellow floribunda, 'Sunsprite' is one of a select few roses to win the American Rose Society's James Alexander Gamble Rose Fragrance Award . Hardy to Zone 5. About 3 feet in height and width.

Positive ViolaAnn On Oct 24, 2005, ViolaAnn from Ottawa, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

Have had this rose for a few years now in a cold zone. I love it. Very fragrant and I also experience repeated bloom. It had 6 blooms in mid-October.

Negative hanna1 On Jul 13, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I was given this Rose this Summer from a friend who moved away. It still has the silver tag on it. I have a few different rose bushes, and this is the worst for me, It is in real poor shape! Full of rust, etc, I wonder if it holds the wrong tag from what I'm reading above!

Positive StarGazey26 On Jun 26, 2005, StarGazey26 from (Zone 10a) wrote:

I love this plant, i got it as a tree rose, for my birthday.. It is great, i love the bright yellow flowers.. I have had this in my garden for like 3 years now, and it just blooms and blooms, i love it! I am not sure if it is truley disease resistant, because i have had black spot, and some rust, on the older leaves.. I spray my whole yard, and when i do, i get the rose too, it is really good overall though, and doesnt require alot of care, i do fertalize it alot, and it does bloom alot! I love it, i wouldnt have any other rose!

Positive hpoplin On May 30, 2005, hpoplin from Wellston, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is a beautiful rose with a gorgeous deep yellow color. Very fragrant, when they are all in bloom I can walk out on my porch and be overpowered by the smell.

Seems to bloom in cycles. All of the roses will bloom within 2-3 weeks of each other, then it will be bare for several weeks before new buds start up. When they are all in bloom it is a real eye catcher. My plant is only 2 years old, only bloomed once this year so far, but I had 34 roses on it when it did. Pretty thorny on the flower stems.

Blooms don't last long, they last about 1 week from open til the leaves start falling off. Fades to a lighter yellow before the leaves fall off.

Positive angelsmama On Oct 6, 2002, angelsmama wrote:

origin 1977, it gets to be approximately 3 ft x 3 ft, bushy, upright. Disease Resistant in my no spray garden. Extremely fragrant, blooms constantly from spring to fall. Dark leathery green leaves. Easy to grow, recommend for beginners.

Neutral Zanymuse On May 30, 2001, Zanymuse from Scotia, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Sweet Fragrance and a round bushy habit make this a wonderful addition to the garden. The petal count is 25 to 30.

Cabot, Arkansas