Variegated Tropical Hibiscus 'Snow Queen'

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: rosa-sinensis (RO-sa-sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Snow Queen

Dothan, Alabama

Fairhope, Alabama

Leeds, Alabama

San Clemente, California

Bartow, Florida (2 reports)

Boca Raton, Florida

Boynton Beach, Florida

Bradenton Beach, Florida

Clearwater, Florida

Daytona Beach, Florida

Deland, Florida

Fort Myers, Florida (2 reports)

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Melbourne Beach, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Satellite Beach, Florida

Tampa, Florida

Vero Beach, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Pukalani, Hawaii

Derby, Kansas

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (2 reports)

Natchez, Mississippi

Spring Branch, Texas

Victoria, Texas

Yakima, Washington

On Dec 11, 2014, katkar from San Clemente, CA wrote:

The summer of 2014 was the third year for my 4 plants. I found the plants originally in Maui at a botanical garden. Returning to the mainland, I was very happy to find the plants locally in Southern California.

They are stunningly beautiful, neighbors comment on them. Easy to care for and evergreen. My plants have a lot of sun so the leaves are beautifully variegated.
I fertilize them about 3 to 4 times a year with Bayer systemic fertilizer which also contains a pesticide. This keeps the plants from hosting white fly. Along with that I will occasionally spray Miracle Grow on the foliage.

They have reached a height of 9 feet and constantly have red flowers. Actually my plants appear in better condition than those I saw in Maui, unexpecte... read more

On Jan 11, 2011, myrtle1 from Cypress, CA wrote:

I bought several 18" tall plants from a private vendor at a farmer's market because of their beautiful foliage. He said he had raised them in dappled to full shade. They have not grown in several months in a north-eastern exposure in front of my garage.
I now read on DG that they require full sun. Has anyone had luck planting them in paratial shade? Or is full sun the only solution to keep the fabulous foliage and to get blossoms?
Thanks for any input. I'm willing to move them if that's the only solution.

On Nov 5, 2010, joan30157 from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this hibiscus each leaf is completely different, I have found it very easy to root this plant with fresh green wood in water. They actually root in just a couple of weeks and the growth rate of this plant is fast. They will loose their varigation in to much shade.

On Jun 12, 2010, incognitopoint from Ocklawaha, FL wrote:

I got this plant from a cutting off my mom's plant, we actually were able to get 3 good plants off her rootbound plant, i seperated it,and all 3 grew well, this is my second year and it blooms longer and better this year, i also found it loves Miracle Gro
it really is easy and beautiful

On Mar 31, 2006, redbarb39 from Humble, TX wrote:

I paid about $10 for this plant at Lowe's or Home Depot in Humble, Texas (just northeast of Houston) a couple of years ago. There were only a couple of blooms on it, but I bought it for the beautiful foliage. I thought any blooms would just be an added bonus. I planted it in a sunny spot in my front yard where the soil is mostly clay and sand, and it grows very well there. It has never produced many blooms, and the flowers each only last a couple of days, but it is still a beautiful plant and I highly recommend it.

We have left it in the ground, cut it back and covered it the past two winters and it has survived our winters here. There has been a little frost bite, but the plant has grown to between 5' and 6' tall and wide each summer and we have to cut it back to about... read more

On Jun 11, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

'Snow Queen' Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is one of my very most favorite plants. The leaves change color depending upon the age of the leaf, the light intensity and amount and the temperature. It is like having several different plants in the same spot because the foliage is an everchanging canvas of color as the year goes by. Because it is right by the entryway to my house, I stop and admire it all of the time.

The first year I had it in the ground, it produced very few blooms and they were quite small. The second year, the blooms were more numerous and much larger and it grew into a much larger plant. I think this was because it was more established as well as it received more direct sunlight because I had my oak tree trimmed back. I took stem cuttings fromwhich to propagate i... read more

On Sep 26, 2003, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I planted this particular hibiscus around the forth of July it produced lots of flowers right from the start. I picked this plant because it was varigated and I have noticed that the more sun it recieved the pinker around the edges of the leaves. Neat huh? I am going to bring it in for the winter because it has done so well I don't see any since ti just let it freeze. I have been told just to mulch it in good and it will live but I am not going to take a chance. It has tripled in size in 2 months with regular weekly fertilizing with regular old 10-10-10. Next year I might try something differentand see how it works.

I took the plant out of the ground and it has been on my pation for about a month and a half the darn thing has new life there are about 12 new buds and it... read more

On Aug 30, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Ive noticed that many transplanted plants are developing green-only leaves. Then Ive read that rich fertilized soils can make the plant to change colors, which wouldnt be quite interesting for this variety.