Giant Scaly Tree Fern, Australian Tree Fern 'Brentwood'

Cyathea cooperi

Family: Cyatheaceae
Genus: Cyathea (sigh-ATH-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: cooperi (koo-PER-ee) (Info)
Cultivar: Brentwood

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

From spores

Gonzales, Louisiana

Columbus, Mississippi

Emerald Isle, North Carolina

On Jul 23, 2009, DanKistner from Winter Haven, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Cool plant! Just bought one of these. I love how ferns grow and how nice it is to watch it super size!

On Jun 3, 2008, TropiSocal_dave from Garden Grove, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

One fern specialist, told me that the Brentwood fern contains both Brentwood and regular cooperi spores on them, and therefore it is impossible to know if it is a Brentwood until you see a larger trunk girth.

On Dec 1, 2007, lastmate from Okeechobee, FL wrote:

New fronds wither and die. Maybe to hot and dry, but water everyday. It had been windy also. Will fertize and hope for the best.

On Nov 9, 2007, Cretaceous from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

The Cyathea cooperi 'Brentwood' cultivar is generally larger, and the fronds darker green in colour, than that of the species. The trunk is also thicker. The 'Australian Tree Fern' which is commonly found for sale locally in the gardening departments of stores such as Orchard Supply Hardware is usually this cultivar. It is often misidentified as "Cyathea australis".

On Sep 22, 2006, jswords from columbus, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

I am attempting another fern in the front of my house, rather protected, and at the foot of a drain. I am more concerned with the lowest temperatures in the winter. I'm in 7b, should I pot it and nurse it indoors for the winter? It's a fast grower, and a real show stopper which is why I chose it for my entryway area. I'll let you know how it fares.

On Aug 24, 2006, ladybug70 from Ione, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I've only recently (this week) purchased an Australian Tree Fern to plant in my newest garden area in my back yard under a couple of palm trees. I'll keep you posted on how it does in this central/north central area of Florida.

On May 30, 2001, BotanyBob from Thousand Oaks, CA wrote:

The common Australian Tree Fern, Cyathea cooperi, is a fairly fast growing tree fern, eventually growing up to 20'+ in height. However, this cultivar, 'Brentwood', is MUCH faster growing. It is beefier in every respect, too. If one is looking for a large tree fern that is going to provide a nice shade in a hurry, this is about the fastest one you can get. It's spread will eventually be 20'+ and grow easily as tall.

Tree ferns are fairly easy to grow, even from small plants, in the right atmosphere. Cyathea cooperi prefer warm (but not hot) climates with constant moisture. Though growing them in full sun can make them yellowy, keeping the trunk moist will help them acclimate to a sunny position. Trunk/stem moisture is critical to the health of most all tree ferns. T... read more