PlantFiles: Tropical Hibiscus
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Velvet Touch'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: rosa-sinensis (RO-sa-sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Velvet Touch

» View all varieties of Hibiscus

Positive velvet16 On Apr 28, 2012, velvet16 from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

We used to grow lots of hibiscus plants in our yard when I was a little girl, back in the 1950's. One of those hisbiscus was the Velvet Touch Hisbiscus. I can tell you that it is the prettiest flower in the world, not just among other hisbiscus but compared to all flowers. In color, it is single, a rich rose with a red cast to it. What makes it so special is the shape of the flower, (not the largest, not the smallest), and the texture of the flower (like velvet, like the name). It was not a prolific bloomer like some of our other hisbiscus plants. But when we would get a bud on it, I'd go dancing around the yard and into the house, squealing, "We've got a bud, we've got a bud". I was so excited. One time, we had two buds and eventually two flowers. What a treat. And they only last a day. I'd love to have another Velvet Touch plant, but I don't know where to find one. I lived in zone 32205 in those days, Northeast Florida. One year in the late 1950's a hard freeze wiped out all of our beautiful hibiscus plants including of course the actually stunning Velvet Touch. I hope that you can find someone who has one.