Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Mindanao Gum Tree, Rainbow Bark

Eucalyptus deglupta

Family: Myrtaceae (mir-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Eucalyptus (yoo-kuh-LIP-tus) (Info)
Species: deglupta (de-GLUP-tuh) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

West Palm Beach, Florida

Hawaiian Ocean View, Hawaii

Omaha, Nebraska

On Sep 5, 2016, sashaeffer from Omaha, NE wrote:

Not so much a comment but a question. Anyone on here growing one as a potted tree?

I bought a 24 inch tree online and is in 10 gallon pot and I must say the tree is the fastest growing plant I've ever had.

Was curious if anyone here had theirs in a pot so they could bring inside when it gets too cold out and what their experience has been with the tree. At what point does the bark begin to peel and show color.

Scott
Omaha, NE

On Jan 8, 2016, Dave2016r from New Smyrna Beach, FL wrote:

I have two rainbow eucalyptus trees about three feet tall in the yard. Each plant is sheltered from the north and gets plenty of sun. Planted them last spring. Took a few months to see noticeable growth. Both look healthy. Waiting to see how they fair from a winter in a 9a or 9b zone in New Smyrna Beach.
No freezing temperature s as of January 8, 2016. The excitement has begun.

On Oct 11, 2015, IlhadoPico from Sao Roque do Pico,
Portugal (Zone 11) wrote:

I got my foot tall seedling snapped in half by strong winds. It is in the pot outdoors for the past several months. I have 12 of them in pots outdoors and 1 of them got broken in half when placed in the corner outdoors, but it was not separated so I repaired it with tape. I wonder how these trees grow in Florida and do they survive hurricane winds? I live in a heat zone that I would describe as zero or 1, but the hardiness zone is 11B. Also I would guess one has to allow up to 200 ft. to plant it away from the house or any valuable structure or street. Does anyone have experiences these trees toppling over or breaking in high winds?

On May 15, 2015, vnickdd from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I see a lot of reviews from folks in Zone 10+. Anyone growing this in 9a or 9b as they're listed on the plantfiles? I have acquired a few and am nervous about whether they'll survive the very mold winter here in Orlando (9b+).

On Dec 30, 2012, Mango_Fatigue from Memphis, FL wrote:

I've had three 25G trees planted in a low and moist corner for 6-7 years now, and they're about 50' tall after starting out at 12-15'. They bloom in mid to late spring with a scent not unlike Japanese honeysuckle with clouds of honeybees and other pollinators. As they have a dense and somewhat brittle wood, I wouldn't plant them where exposed to higher winds, and probably better in a cluster of 3-5 trees for mutual windbreak. I wouldn't plant them any closer than 12'-15' apart, and maybe with some sort of denser root underplanting like Indian Hawthorne as they tend to go tall first ahead of the root structure and can tip. Later on, they seem to manage better in the winds. The shade is nice and not too dense and the branching is beautiful against the medium green of the leaves. They do ... read more

On Aug 22, 2009, xionis from Naples, FL wrote:

This is a "canopy" tree, and in its native habitat it offers light shade to those plants growing below. My tree (currently about 60' tall) in Naples, FL (very much inland) has been in the ground for 12-13 years, and has often been set back by the freezes that we encounter here...I have lost four "established" trees (in 5-gallon pots) to frost and freezing. This tree went through Hurricane Wilma, at which time it was set off balance by approx 30 degrees (it leans noticably). However, my biggest dissapointment occured today, when I came home to discover that a Florida black bear had attempted to climb my tree ( he got about 20 feet up), after which he cooled himself off by ripping out my water lilies from their pools and splashing out all of the water... I assume in an attempt to cool off. I... read more

On Jul 7, 2006, crowleyplants from Sarasota, FL wrote:

We have this tree growing at our plant nursery in Sarasota, Florida, for 10 years
Coldest was about 17 degrees. It has very beautiful markings in the trunk, is tall and slender so it can fit easily into a small space, height is about 25ft, nothing seems to bother it.

On Jul 6, 2003, katrinas from Redondo Beach, CA (Zone 11) wrote:

There are several maturing plantings of this species in Southern California. UCLA has several locations, as well as the San Diego Zoo. The trees are beyond the 50' level and still growing, give them a few more decades to grow taller, but short of the 200' attained in their native Philippines. The fall color of the foliage can rival the bark, but the leaves are high up as well as the clustered white staminate flowers.

Best not to plant these tree in a row/line or formal setting as they do not grow at the same rate, and will look a bit odd.

On Apr 20, 2003, nokats from Sydney,
wrote:

The common name for this tree in Australia is "Kamarere".

On Jun 1, 2001, BotanyBob from Thousand Oaks, CA wrote:

This Eucalyptus is grown nearly exclusively for it's amazingly colored trunk. The peeling, smooth trunk of this gum tree is lime green, dark green, red, orange, brown and burgundy as the different layers of bark peel off. It almost looks like someone painted it. It has one of the most brilliantly colored and beautiful trunks of any tree that grows in the US mainland.

The leaves are not an impressive feature of this tree, especially in drier, cooler climates, and often look sad and pale. The flowers of this species are insignificant.

Like most Eucalyptus it is a very fast grower reaching heights up to 80' in more tropical areas. In the mainland US it rarely grows over 50'. Unlike most other Eucalyptus, this is not native to Australia- from the Phillipin... read more