Rose of Sharon
Hibiscus syriacus 'Aphrodite'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: syriacus (seer-ee-AK-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Aphrodite

Shreveport, Louisiana

Burlington, Massachusetts

Columbus, Mississippi

West Plains, Missouri

Lincoln, Nebraska (2 reports)

Pelham, New Hampshire

Jonesville, Virginia

Moxee, Washington

negative

On Aug 31, 2012, Windy from Belleville , IL (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have two three year old plants. This year despite the drought with only supplemental waterings they have done great.
The flowers are almost as large as my hardy hibiscus and the color is vivid pink. Love them and glad I brought them along from my other house.

On Jul 27, 2012, TristanScrib from North Salt Lake, UT wrote:

Planted this "Aphrodite" late last year, towards the end of the growing season, here in Utah. Has doubled in height and with relatively low water consumption. Excellent growth rate, took my completely by surprise. My other Rose of Sharon, Lil' Kim, is still about the same height as last year, except for some recent growth. At this rate, "Aphrodite" should be at maximum height within a couple short years.

On May 19, 2012, Dean_W from Central Texas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Grows easily in drought conditions and continues to thrive on neglect. Low maintenance for sure.

On Jul 23, 2011, greatswede from Lincoln, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I planted two of these Rose of Sharon 'Aphrodite Oct 2009 (less than 2 years ago). They have grown a few INCHES and have a lot of yellow leaves.

In Feb 2006, i planted two Rose of Sharon 'Hollandia and they are doing great. They are about 12 feet tall and blooming continuously.

This is in the same yard as the "Aphrodite, same soil, same drip system, same amount of sunlight. I know that the 'Hollandia has a three year head start but if I recall correctly they were doing much better at 2 years.

On Jun 5, 2010, harper97 from Pelham, NH wrote:

A wonderful shrub for late summer color. Very vigorous, free-blooming and hardy in my zone 5b NH garden.

On Jul 2, 2004, langbr from Olathe, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very floriferous. This is my first full year year with this shrub. I did notice that during a week plus of daily rains the
'Aphrodite' dropped a lot of unopened buds. Closer inspection plus the desire to photograph a bloom revealed that the unopend buds dropped very easily from the slightest brushing. That was a disappointment. I think it was more the wet, cool weather than anything and it seems to not have suffered the loss of the blooms....still covered in opened blooms 2 weeks later.

On Jun 3, 2004, RichSwanner from Citrus Heights, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Great plant will take sun, perfers hot to cool climates, but will survive freezes. Good in zones 2-24. Goes deciduous in winter and comes right back in spring. Sets few seed pods if any. It is a sterile triploid. Has a long blooming season. Late April through October in Citrus Heights Ca. Looks like a Hibiscus yet is very hardy.

On Nov 18, 2002, Alyssum from Cortlandt Manor, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This shrub has lots of very pretty flowers and is completely care free. I have it growing in light shade.