PlantFiles: Rose of Sharon
Hibiscus syriacus 'Boule de Feu'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: syriacus (seer-ee-AK-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Boule de Feu

» View all varieties of Hibiscus

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

By wallaby1
Thumbnail #1 of Hibiscus syriacus by wallaby1

By wallaby1
Thumbnail #2 of Hibiscus syriacus by wallaby1

Positive sarahbee On Jun 6, 2010, sarahbee from Austin, TX wrote:

Blooms generously in late May and through June in US Zone 8. The blossoms really do look like carnations, and have a pleasant scent. I cut them back in the fall and they comes back strong every spring. I have four of these shrubs growing under the shade of my live oak tree, so I would describe the conditions as partial to full shade. I inherited them and they are next to a walkway which is inappropriate, so I plan on relocating them to another spot in my yard so they can grow to their full height as they mature (they are all still under 30" tall). I hope they survive the transplant!

Positive jackieshar On Jun 18, 2007, jackieshar from Texas/Okla central border
United States (Zone 7b) wrote:

beautiful, 3 in bloom looks like multicolored carnation buttonaire.........prolific early summer bloom, plant is hardy and survives in direct sun with little or no care, supplemental water in my dry area, no insect problem or disease in 6 years

Positive wallaby1 On Nov 26, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I struggled to give this positive, but perhaps the plant needs to be understood, and the owner needed to be patient. I cannot deny the flower is beautiful, I was intrigued by its many frilly petals, seeming to have many separate 'eyes'.
Bought approx 6 years ago as a young plant, it at first struggled, but that may have been due to its growing medium. I moved it to another position after a year, a new bed with much shade, but filtering sun. Planted very near an acacia dealbata which has grown large in the 5 years, with many fine roots, I wondered if it may suffer due to lack of moisture. Last year it appeared to be making some good flowers, but most dried and dropped. This may have been due to the very hot , dry year. This year it flowered beautifully, a very cool summer, but perhaps it has reached an age of maturity necessary for flowering.

Pruning in formative years remove 1/3 of previous years growth in late spring, as this one bursts into bud very late in the season, to encourage bushier growth. Last 2 years tip pruning only, leaving an outward facing bud just below the cut. This may also have encouraged flowering.

We do not grow to maturity in a year or so, and should not expect our plants to either. I forgive the plant and hope it understands my stupidity as a human. UK zone 8a.

Stockton, California