Rose of Sharon
Hibiscus syriacus 'Blue Satin'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: syriacus (seer-ee-AK-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Satin
Additional cultivar information:(PP12680; Satin series, aka Marina, Satin Blue)
Hybridized by Verweij
Registered or introduced: 2002
» View all varieties of Hibiscus

Blue-Violet

Patented

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Pelham, Alabama

Los Angeles, California (2 reports)

Stockton, California

Downers Grove, Illinois

Roscoe, Illinois

Florence, Mississippi

Saucier, Mississippi

Jefferson City, Missouri (2 reports)

Kearney, Nebraska

La Porte, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

Orem, Utah

On Mar 19, 2013, derbeh from Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

i've had my plant now for more than six years. i had to prune it back a LOT last month, as i was moving the plant from one location to another. i put all of the cuttings into a pot with soil and every one is sprouting. i'm looking forward to this plant blooming again this year. it's always a conversation piece among our gardeners.

On Apr 6, 2012, garyloveslucy from Jefferson City, MO wrote:

The BEST of the Rose of Sharons. Easy to grow, not invasive, does not set much seed (if so, pull them up as they don't come true from seed), drought tolerant, clay tolerant, and the most beautiful flowers on top of all of that. THE BEST!

On Jun 9, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

My sister ordered actual plants back in 2008 from Blue Stone Perennials and I ended up with small plants from the seeds dropping from the parent plant. The actual flower from the seed looks just like the parent plant and I am quite pleased with this plant . I have 5 of them and keep them very short in a flower bed so that they look less like a bush... In the fall I trim the bush 2-3 inches down to the ground and then in the spring once it starts to really grow I trim leaving a few branches have a clean look and this does not affect flowering at all...

On Aug 24, 2009, BellefonteJen from Bellefonte, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Very pretty blue color. I planted this two years ago, along with several pink varieties. The pink ones have grown much faster and are over 4 feet tall, while the blue is still under three feet tall. I may try to move it somewhere else in the garden. It looks kind of silly next to its taller brethren.

On Aug 2, 2009, mikesmets from Waterbury, CT wrote:

Bought this plant in the fall of 2007 from Park Seed. Looked like a dead 6-inch stick in a small pot when shipped. Had a bunch of blooms in the summer of 2008 even though the plant was less than 2 feet tall. Now, the summer of 2009, it is about 3 feet tall and covered in blossoms. Great plant.

On Aug 11, 2008, donicaben from Ogdensburg, NY wrote:

Bought one this summer. It's not even two feet tall and is coverred in flowers/flowerbuds! Absolutely beautiful.

Looks a little silly though, being so small with such huge flowers on it! :-)

On Dec 19, 2007, passiflora_pink from Shelby County, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Blooms formed on mine the first year, although it was only about 18 inches tall. Survived record drought and 100 degree heat (though it had afternoon shade).

On Mar 1, 2007, Kiweed from Saratoga Springs, UT (Zone 8a) wrote:

I bought this mail order, and moved shortly after, but was there long enough to see it put out an absolutely stunning flower...WOW! Surpassed all my expectations in flower color for a Rose of Sharon. My favorite variety yet. The pictures don't fully capture it. Beautiful mix of blue with hints of purple, and intense red eye, are captivating.

On Jul 5, 2006, PudgyMudpies from Stockton, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Got this last Fall and it was a small dormant stick, I did not expect to get any flowers for a few years. I had a small start of ROS Aphrodite that I planted snugged up against Blue Satin so they would grow as one. Blue Satin started leafing out this Spring and has bloomed like crazy at a foot tall! It opens a deep blue and then lightens through the day to a light blue/lavender. I posted a morning picture of the dark blue flower and then a picture from later in the day of the overall plant to show the color change. I can hardly wait to see the rose colored Aphrodite blooming along with the Blue Satin. I would highly recommend the Blue Satin if you want a true blue flower.

On Apr 17, 2006, crowellli from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

All my altheas do well here in Houston, but I had to find room for this new blue one. I'm disappointed in the color, as here in our heat it's more of a lavender color and not the clear blue I'd seen advertised. Still a good summer bloomer though.