Rose of Sharon
Hibiscus syriacus 'Minerva'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hibiscus (hi-BIS-kus) (Info)
Species: syriacus (seer-ee-AK-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Minerva
» View all varieties of Hibiscus

Violet/Lavender

This plant is resistant to deer

Arley, Alabama

Aransas Pass, Texas

Cedar Hill, Texas

Kingsville, Texas

Mexia, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Sour Lake, Texas

Wytheville, Virginia

Lakewood, Washington

South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

On Mar 20, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A triploid cultivar that produces fewer seeds and seedlings than the species, whose propensity for excessive self-sowing is well known. Abundant continuous bloom from June to September. Highly tolerant of air pollution and drought.

Released by the US National Arboretum in 1986.

On Mar 20, 2015, realityfaery from Delano, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Absolutely love this Rose of Sharon, every summer I have mine covered in blooms. I had it stunted in growth for about a year though because we were planning on moving and I was planning on planting it in ground. This last fall I was able to plant it in a spot that will get full morning sun and around the afternoon on, it gets shade. I already have leaves popping up all over and hope to see some new growth as well. I've had great luck with it and was able to harvest some seeds this time around, so I'm hoping they are viable.

On Apr 18, 2009, carletbo from Poplarville, MS wrote:

I have had such success propagating these! When I prune, I can literally stick the pieces in the ground, in a pot, anywhere and they take root and thrive. I began my love of these from branches I brought back from SC on business and stuck them in pots - neglected them for a year or so and still had some to plant in the ground. They are now large specimens that bloom and attract my butterflies and hummingbirds.

On Apr 18, 2008, mbhoakct76 from Winsted, CT wrote:

I love the flowers of the rose of sharon, this plant is super hardy in zone 6 and requires little attention once established. its easily grown from clippings and roots quickly- grows quickly to! I have found it common to get blooms on second year plants that have grown to over 3' in just 2 yrs (from clipping).

On Jan 30, 2006, Kiweed from Saratoga Springs, UT (Zone 8a) wrote:

Rose of Sharon do wonderfully here in Utah valley's high mountain dessert...tolerate the cold winters and love the intense sun in summer (even full southern exposures). They enjoy deep, occassional watering, but can withstand quite a bit of drought. I noted in an article that they can be affected by some type of root rot disease that is more common in alkaline soils. We tend to have alkaline clay soil, but I personally haven't noticed a problem with that. Old bushes are still thriving heartily at old houses here. If you're into trimmed hedges, they can make neat flowering hedges (try to do most pruning earlier in the season so not to ruin the late summer/fall bloom. It looks particularly atractive if you mix different types with various colors and bloom times. I personally prefer my... read more

On Jun 29, 2004, lyn31347 from Ooltewah, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

three yrs ago this shrub looked puny. not much foliage. so, i started pruning. this year there are so many buds and it is so dense. it sure is pretty in full bloom. not much maintenence to this shrub. its gorgeous right now. i was surprised to learn this was in the hibiscus family. i had no idea. I have hibiscus in my barrels, these are the prettiest ones I have had. they are perfect looking.
now lets go get our hands dirty.

On Jun 28, 2004, desertboot from Bangalore
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

I guess we could safely call our Minerva(s) an Heirloom Hibiscus:-) Each bush in the garden has descended from a long-gone original that was gifted to my grand parents in the early 1950s. This is among the easiest plants to propagate from cuttings. We've had the pleasure of sharing a number of them with friends...who in turn make their own cuttings...

On May 25, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

ROSE OF SHARON HARDY HIBISCUS - MINERVA..... A very beautiful, hardy flowering shrub that begins to bloom by mid-July & goes right until the cold weather arrives in the fall. Prefers full sun, but will tolerate some shade, however the bloom may not be as profuse. No special requirements although I always amend my heavy clay soil with composted cattle manure in fall & spring. By doing this over many years, I have to dig deep to find the clay...just the way I want it & so do all the plants! Pruning of Rose of Sharon should take place in early spring (March/April) so that the flower buds aren't compromised & bloom will not be affected. Rose of Sharon flowers better if there is some air ciculation between branches, so if you have a plant that's dense, prune out a few older branches at groun... read more