PlantFiles: Tree Mallow
Lavatera x clementii 'Barnsley'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lavatera (lav-uh-TEER-uh) (Info)
Species: x clementii

Thumbnail #6 of Lavatera x clementii by art_n_garden

By Samtpfote
Thumbnail #7 of Lavatera x clementii by Samtpfote

Neutral bobbieberecz On Jul 12, 2014, bobbieberecz from Concrete, WA wrote:

I have so-so luck with this plant. I didn't realize they were short-lived; thought I was just doing something wrong. I've been growing them for 35 years in a variety of soils, from amended (but still tight) fertilized clay to unamended, unfertilized loam and now fast draining loam, fertilized and thickly mulched. Some get regular water, some very little, and some are just forgotten. They've been put on the south side of a stucco wall, in a woodland setting and now in bright sun in a mixed border. The results are 50-50. A couple (like in the dappled-light-only woodland plant) did brilliantly, while others with average care and watering in full sun struggled. Two plants from the same nursery, same size and planted in the same garden plot will have totally different outcomes. Last year our winter hit 0 and both of my lavateras that thrived last year have a few leaves but no flower buds and we're into the middle of July. When they do well they're beautiful, but after 35 years and paying perrenial prices for a little better than annual plants, I'm throwing in the towel. Beautiful flowers but I've done my time.

Neutral peejay12 On Apr 26, 2010, peejay12 from Porthleven, Helston, Cornwall
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

To people buying this plant it seems too good to be true; fast growing, smothered in white and red flowers, and needing very little attention.

The downside is that shoots from low down tend to revert to the pink 'Rosea' flowers, and the plant usually dies after its second or third flowering.

The obvious solution is to mark stems that are definitely of the Barnsley' type, and take cuttings in the fall so it can be replaced.
Only buy plants which are in flower, because many plants offered for sale are cuttings from reverted shoots, so you will end up with the same old pink flowers!

Actually lavateras reward you if you give them some attention - water them in dry spells, feed them with a balanced granular fertiliser, spray with insecticide and fungicide, and clear weeds and dead leaves etc from around the base.
Cut back the old flowering stems after flowering, and cut back to two feet from the ground in early spring. Late pruning - the beginning of May in the U.K., produces fewer but larger flowers and a healthier looking plant.
This sort of treatment may prolong the plant's life by a couple of years.

A number of similar white and red cultivars exist: 'Lisanne' and 'Blushing Bride' which are said to be less inclined to revert, but they are difficult to obtain - perhaps they are not as eye-catching.

Positive saanansandy On Nov 25, 2007, saanansandy from Sue, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

Bought this plant on a whim in the spring of 2007. It came in a 4" pot and boy did it take off when I planted it in the ground. I planted it on a northeast corner of a stone wall. It bloomed profusely all summer and well into the fall. It grew to two to three feet tall and about 3 feet wide. This was a very dry summer and I only watered it the first couple of weeks of planting; no fertilizer. I had no problems with insects either.

Negative cdygma On Sep 19, 2006, cdygma from Dover, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted last year and have not seen any flower buds all summer long. I just went out to check again and something ate almost all the leaves off of it. I definately am not going to get any flowering from it this year.

Positive Ribbon On Mar 30, 2005, Ribbon from Redmond, OR (Zone 5a) wrote:

Planted in partial shade last spring. Flowered beautifully through to September....then it got jumped on by a visiting child. The poor plant was cracked right down at the base. I tied it up...hoping it might heal itself.... it didn't.

So, I'm trying again this year.

I bought the first one at a garden center here in central Or and the lady assurred me that this plant does very well here in our dry windy climate.

Positive DiMom On Oct 23, 2004, DiMom from Menlo Park, CA wrote:

I have a row of this lavatera growing up against a long fence line. The temps are high but the bushes do really well with minimal watering from a soaking hose that I run once every two weeks. They produce a beautiful array of pink flowers all summer long. I have one particular Barnsley that I trained into a 25ft+ tree that offers a fabulous show of pink flowers everyyear. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Neutral deg909 On Oct 6, 2004, deg909 from Alta Loma, CA wrote:

Grew to 6 feet tall, then died over a weekend. Have had similar experiences with Kew Rose. I still have two very healthy plants (one KR, one Barnsley). The only difference I can see is that one of the two survivors gets dramatically more water (It is the kew rose, which is now about 10-12 feet tall).

Positive cpatti On Sep 2, 2004, cpatti from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I grew this plant for 5 years in Portland Oregon. Real bang for your buck. It flowers heavily spring to late fall .In the light wind , it is striking with its long branches blooming from bottom to top waving back and forth.. It can be cut down drastically in early spring and it will come back up to about a 5' bush every year. It had no problems with any bugs etc.

I tried to grow it in Phoenix Arizona three years in a row, It would bloom in early Spring, then the heat would kill it. I had it in a north facing bed with shade provided by a Mexican Bird of Paradise. Couldn't make it.
This year I flew with a 5" start from PDX to PHX. This time I have it in a container inside. It is trying real hard to grow, It is about 14" high but rather spindly, so far. It is facing south with no direct sunlight. I will not put it outside this winter even though those temps are as perfect as spring temps in Portland.
I really want this plant to grow. It is so beautiful.

Neutral Devorah On Aug 20, 2004, Devorah from Oak Park, CA wrote:

This is a beautiful-looking plant, but I have found that it is subject to scale. I grew it in a pot, which it quickly outgrew, and I've grown it in the ground. Both in the pot and the ground it became infested with scale and the thousands of ants that scale attract. Yuck and bleghh. It's not exactly appealing to have to clean up the plant's dead leaf matter while ants maraud my arms. One more thing--the Barnsley version tends to revert to the "rosea" version, which has a darker pink flower. I also have lavatera maritima (the bicolor lavatera), which seems to be a much stouter plant that so far has not been plagued by scale.

Manhattan Beach, California