Chinese Glory Bower

Clerodendrum chinense

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clerodendrum (kler-oh-DEN-drum) (Info)
Species: chinense (chi-NEN-see) (Info)
Synonym:Clerodendrum fragrans
Synonym:Clerodendrum philippinum

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

By simple layering

Smiths, Alabama

Scottsdale, Arizona

Los Angeles, California

Boca Raton, Florida

Fort Pierce, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

New Port Richey, Florida

Lake Charles, Louisiana

Desoto, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

On Jul 24, 2013, EuniceMary from Lake Helen, FL wrote:

I first noticed this attractive plant by its lovely fragrance. I am not sure where it came from, perhaps a bird or a runner, but this year we have had lots of rain and I have noticed it appearing at the other side of the 20' wide road! Invasive doesn't begin to describe it. Fortunately the small shoots can be pulled up easily after the rain, but if the plants are allowed to grow too large, they put down a very deep and tough root. If you are careful to control the spread it makes a nice large area planting where you don't want to bother with lawn.

On Apr 25, 2008, sunnytx from Ligonier, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this plant but I do keep it in a large planter. I made sure to place the planter in a saucer. This way the Clero doesn't get a chance to spread. It rapidly filled out the planter so I can imagine how invasive it could be in the ground.

On Oct 6, 2007, rjuddharrison from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I may have a hybrid, or it's just great conditions, but I was unprepared for the height these plants grew too. Averaging 6 feet tall , I had them located in several lighting conditions. These guys are only second to the Bungei in astonishing invasiveness. I am beginning to realize there is no such thing as a small clerodendrum!

On Jul 11, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

This is a beautiful plant with very intense colors and it attracts flocks of butterflies when it is in bloom. Yes, it is invasive here in Zone 8b (northcentral Florida)in that it puts out underground runners and baby plants pop up a few feet from the parent every year, but I don't find it difficult to control as I have planted it between a dog yard fence and a driveway. Nothing survives in the dog yard, and it makes a nice screen for the dogyard fence.

On Dec 16, 2002, theingate wrote:

Beware of this plant! I live in zone 8/9, where it is highly invasive, very difficult to control. I like the way it looks, which is nice, because it's everywhere, and difficult to get rid of. It must be dug unless the ground is very damp, otherwise it just snaps off at the base when you try to pull it. The smell of the leaves, when brushed or bruised, is also a negative. It clings to my dog when she runs through the cashmere bouquet forest in our backyard. I would suggest it only as a potted plant.

On Aug 28, 2002, islander9 from Sullivans Island, SC wrote:

Yes, it's invasive but also beautiful and very easy to grow. Mine is thriving in Zone 8, even in a period of bad drought. From one plant transplanted two years ago, 15 have spread.

On Aug 25, 2002, cecropia from Greensboro, NC (Zone 7a) wrote: