Red Basil 'Red Rubin'

Ocimum basilicum

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ocimum (OSS-ih-mum) (Info)
Species: basilicum (bass-IL-ee-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Rubin

Not Applicable

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Madison, Alabama

North Augusta, South Carolina

Elgin, Texas

Radford, Virginia

On Mar 28, 2013, NicoleC from Madison, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Has pretty purple foliage and the leaves have a spicy bite but they do now have much "basil" flavor. Recommended for ornamental use, but not purple pesto.

On Jan 25, 2013, saskboy from Regina, SK (Zone 3b) wrote:

I use red rubin as an ornamental accent plant more than for culinary purposes. the flavor is a bit sharper than other basils, but it adds interesting flavor if used sparingly in salads or pestos. It tends not to be as large and vigorous as the more common green leafed varieties. It is quite compact and full if pinched when small. The color is very dark and more uniform than with either dark opal or purple ruffles. It need excellent air circulation or it will easily rot when in seedling stage. for this reason i would not advise growing it indoors, unless you have a large already established plant to bring in in the fall before frost. Ive also found this basil to be more frost sensitive than others.
But the color simply cant be beat, it looks fantastic in a mixed pot as an accent to ... read more

On May 22, 2012, mrhank from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautiful and interesting, but not the most vigorous in my opinion.

I grew four groups of Basils from seed this spring and thought I'd see how they stacked up comparatively. Genovese, Sweet, Red Rubin and Lime (not a basilicum... but another Ocimum species). Started them all on the potting bench in small seedling pots (dozens of 'em) and worked 'em up to larger pots and then into the gardens.

Only one Red Rubin has made it so far... but she's a beauty.

Bugs seem to love to eat the little seedlings down to the dirt while ignoring my other basils... but there are no bug issues at all with the surviving plant now.

My others basils are booming but Red Rubin isn't. It looks good and I'll grow it again because it is interesting an... read more

On Apr 20, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very aromatic, mine is potted in full sun and will be pinched often for a fuller plant. I treat it as an annual.

On Aug 20, 2009, grrrlgeek from Grayslake, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Nice enough basil, but didn't keep it's color well for me.

9/12/09--Now has just about died off rather early, we did have a couple of nights in the 40's that adversely affected a couple of types of basil. Or maybe this one is just short lived. It was kept in full morning and midday sun.

On Jul 29, 2008, teachnkids from Johannesburg
South Africa (Zone 9b) wrote:

Having previously only grown green basil varieties, I was eager to try this purple type. I love it. It has been very easy to grow, and I believe that it is even more aromatic than the typical green varieties. My husband enjoys it so much he actually asked me to make a salad using the basil as the "lettuce." (While my husband always liked the other basil I grew, he never seemed that excited about it.) I haven't made the salad yet, due to the fact that this seems a little excessive to me. But, now that I know how much he enjoys this variety, I have been VERY liberal in my use of it. My two year old son also loves to eat the leaves straight off the plants.

I grew this plant in a couple of different locations this year. I have a pot of basil in full sun that looks magnificant. T... read more

On May 14, 2007, nanabest1 from Clarkston, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I purchased this plant and placed it in a pot indoors near a sunny window. I was told not to put it outside until frost danger has passed. It did not survive inside, it wilted and died within one week. Who can help?

On Jan 28, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

An improved version of 'Dark Opal'. Among my favorite basils, both for taste and appearance. One of the more uniform colored purple varieties. As with most basils, keep pinching back throughout the season to keep plants compact and productive. The flowers (tall pale purple salvia-like spires) are just lovely, but if the plants are being used as edibles, best not to let them flower/go to seed until early fall.