Brazilian Firecracker Vine
Manettia cordifolia

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Manettia (man-ET-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: cordifolia (kor-di-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Red-Orange

Wilmington, North Carolina

Okatie, South Carolina

Fort Stockton, Texas

On Jun 23, 2015, sueroderus from Bluffton, SC wrote:

Great small vine. Very hardy in my zone 8b garden. Easy to grow. I have it in a part sun to part shade location and it blooms all summer. Favorite of hummingbirds. Would not have a hummingbird garden without it!

On Sep 14, 2014, JED_Houston from Houston, TX wrote:

This is my second year with this vine in my backyard, and it is my clear favorite plant, it is just stunning! It stays just covered in vivid blooms all summer long. One section of a wooden fence along one side of our backyard has the backside of the fence facing us, which I actually prefer because I can attach rectangular sections of hog wire from Home Depot to the fence for vines to grow on. That's where I have this vine planted, in the ground. It freezes to the ground but comes back readily from the ground in the spring. It is so easy! I put down some Microlife organic fertilizer in the spring, and that's it. I'd say if you don't have one, go to any lengths to get one now, your guests and neighbors that see it, will be in awe.

On May 24, 2013, gakudzu from Calhoun, GA wrote:

I bought this plant a few years ago in Athens, GA thinking I would enjoy it for one season. I was not sure how well it would grow here in zone 7b but it has come back every year. It is on the south side of my house so maybe that helps. I planted it at the base of a clothesline pole that I wrapped loosely with chicken wire. It covers the pole every summer with beautiful red blooms that the hummingbirds love.

On Aug 19, 2008, pewterabbit from Danville, GA wrote:

This is a truly beautiful vine that has puzzled me for over twelve years. It is growing on and with a holly bush and I have tried in vain to find out what it is. I am so happy to discover it today on this website.

On Apr 19, 2005, twenty2libras from Greenwell Springs, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

this vine is really beautiful......the foliage is attractive in itself and the unique little flowers seem to glow! mines doing great in a pot and it seems to be one of those vines that respond to dilute superbloom fertilizer every two weeks or so.