Mickey Mouse Taro, Mouse Cup, Pocket Plant, Yautia Amarilla
Xanthosoma atrovirens 'Variegatum Monstrosum'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Xanthosoma (zan-tho-SO-muh) (Info)
Species: atrovirens (at-ro-VY-renz) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegatum Monstrosum
Additional cultivar information:(aka Albo-marginatum)
Synonym:Xanthosoma albomarginata

Variegated

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Mottled

Mobile, Alabama

Daytona Beach, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Loxahatchee, Florida

Gulfport, Mississippi

Charleston, South Carolina

Summerville, South Carolina

Alvin, Texas

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Big Sandy, Texas

Conroe, Texas

Harlingen, Texas

Livingston, Texas

Missouri City, Texas

Mont Belvieu, Texas

Spring, Texas (2 reports)

Twin Lakes, Wisconsin

On Nov 7, 2010, StonoRiver from Johns Island, SC wrote:

Have grown this thing for years here in the Charleston, SC area. Spreads like a weed here in warm-winter years, to the point of becoming a "pest". Often reach 5'-6' tall and make a great focal point in a large bed...a real "eye-catcher". All non-gardeners always ask "What's that thing?"...most ask how can I get one?

On Jun 25, 2008, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very interesting distorted leaf shape with white and green contrasts. It doesn't seem to be as hardy as other elephant ears, but it is making a slow recovery after a winter with several nights around 28 F. It might do best if dug up and overwintered in a greenhouse.

Jeremy

On Feb 3, 2008, tks from Charleston, SC wrote:

This particular plant came from south america where it is known as "adam" and not "mickeymouse" there is a companion plant usually found growing together with it called "eve".

On Apr 5, 2006, ceejaytown from The Woodlands, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I LOVE this plant. Grew it first in trickled sunlight, by a fountain for several years, and it did fine. It was lost last year when we relandscaped before it had emerged after the winter. I was lucky to have plants show up here and there where they had been scattered - in full sun! They love it!! I've never had trouble with the variegation. Positive++++++

On Aug 30, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

We love mixing the pocket taro among other plantings for contrast. Originally started with one corm several years ago and have been dividing it through the years. We have it in various areas of the year now. Prefers shade, but will do alright in sun.

On Aug 29, 2004, scooterbug from Tellico Plains, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have this plant in my shade garden , along with other variegated shade lovers including a Snow Bank brugmansia.
Plenty of color even without blooms.
I just love this plant =)

This morning there was a big ol' hornet drinking from the water collected in the 'pocket' . He flew off before I got the picture ;'(

On Jun 4, 2004, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I loved this plant when I saw it at the nursery last year. For me, pricey at $25, but splurged anyway. Died back in winter, but came back, double in size, but much less variegation! I'm hoping variegation becomes more marked as summer progresses. It's planted outdoors in dappled sunlight. If you have experience with this plant, drop me an email.
Sep 2010. This plant has a way of appearing and disappearing, depending on weather conditions for that yeaer. This year happens to be a good one and it's simply spectacular in my garden. tI gets more sunlight these days as the tree that shaded it was lost to hurricane Ike. Doesn't seem to hurt it a bit.