PlantFiles: Threadleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed
Coreopsis verticillata 'Zagreb'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Coreopsis (kor-ee-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: verticillata (ver-ti-si-LAH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Zagreb

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)
5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)
7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)
8.6 to 9.0 (strongly alkaline)

Thumbnail #1 of Coreopsis verticillata by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #2 of Coreopsis verticillata by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #3 of Coreopsis verticillata by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #4 of Coreopsis verticillata by growin

Thumbnail #5 of Coreopsis verticillata by growin

By tillieray
Thumbnail #6 of Coreopsis verticillata by tillieray

Thumbnail #7 of Coreopsis verticillata by growin

Positive ms_greenjeans On Jul 10, 2012, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I have issues with coreopsis; I have planted several Moonbeam, Creme Brulee, rosea, and Jethro Tull more than once, and none of them ever returned. Mouse ear 'Nana' may or may not come back; it's very inconsistent. Zagreb, however, returns every year and thrives on neglect. It blooms and blooms, has a nice mounded shape, and the fine feathery foliage is very attractive. Seems to be tolerant of full hot sun or partial shade. It does increase in size over time, but I only divide mine about every 3rd year or 4th year. This is a great border plant.

Positive Lapwing On Jul 2, 2011, Lapwing from CEDAR KNOLLS, NJ wrote:

Spreads quickly so be prepared to divide relatively frequently. Pretty flower with long bloom time.

Neutral annakins On Oct 20, 2010, annakins from Aberdeen, SD wrote:

Blooms its fool head off all summer. Didn't realize how much it spreads. I have to divide every year and put some into pots with other flowers.

Positive littlelamb On Jun 16, 2010, littlelamb from Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I'm loving this plant. I have it planted on the South side of my house so it receives afternoon sun from 3-7 which can be pretty brutal in my climate zone (heat/humidity). I planted it last Spring and it did fair since it was still a new plant. But this year, it came back with gusto and I really like the shape it holds. Of course it has tons of flowers on it which will be around for awhile to enjoy.

Positive Grinder12000 On Sep 1, 2009, Grinder12000 from Columbus, WI wrote:

I love Coreopsis verticillata. I planted five in heavy clay, full sun. The first year was your typical 1st year growth. Year 2 was wonderful until we had 12 inches of ran in 7 hours and they were underwater.

Came back strong and they are one my my most vibrant plants. They bloom until the 3rd week of July and then fade. Each plant is about 18 inches wide and 20 inches tall.

Positive DeenDixie On Jun 8, 2008, DeenDixie from Fayetteville, AR wrote:

Zagreb grows well for me in my front (northwest Arkansas) garden, facing east, where it gets 4 1/2 or so hours of morning sun. This is the 3rd year I have grown it, and my 6 original gallon-size plants have now doubled their size. The first blooms of the year (late May) usually do not open well... I suspect something to do with the pecan tree blossums falling 20 feet away, which blow into the Zagrebs. In mid June they roar into flower, giving me many months of bright yellow bloom. I water them every 3 weeks or so in case of no rain. This year I plan to spray them every couple of weeks with BloomBooster and see if that has a positive effect. Kind regards. :-)

Positive straea On May 25, 2008, straea from Somerville, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have grown 'Zagreb' in more favorable conditions, but I am currently growing it in a sloped, hot, windy, poor-soil site and it's still trooping along. It is not as vigorous at this site as it is under those more favorable conditions, but it has stood up well to the harshness of the site, blooming without fail for a lengthy period and attracting bees and other small pollinators.

Negative coo13549 On Feb 17, 2008, coo13549 from Batavia, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Planted (3) in late Spring/early summer 2007; plants did fine but not one flower. They get hot sun all day, and are planted in holes in a mulch covered garden cloth. The soil under that cloth is pretty poor, too (heavy clay).

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 21, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Short to Medium 18"- Plant 14" apart. Golden yellow flowers on a more upright plant. Especially free flowering - continuously in bloom from early summer right into fall. Makes a good cut flower with its unusual narrow tapered foliage. They spread readily and can be used in a naturalized planting, on a sunny bank, or in the traditional border. While they attract butterflies, they are deer resistant.

Positive knolan On Jun 27, 2006, knolan from Sugar Land, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I'm very happy with coreopsis. I have dried the flower heads and am collecting seeds. Will post the progress if they mature into plants.

Positive russkiypenguin On Jul 4, 2005, russkiypenguin from Belton, MO wrote:

I planted two of these plants then completely ignored them for a year. Despite that one of them made it through to the next year wonderfully and now I'm nursing the second one along. Beautiful yellow flowers in the middle of the summer despite the fact that I didn't even improve my tough Missouri clay soil.

Positive KC3Lady On Apr 21, 2005, KC3Lady from Overland Park, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this plant! I would have it in my garden because of the beautiful, airy foliage even without the flowers it produces. I have two of these plants that were transplants from my mother's garden. They both bloomed the year I transplanted them and every year since. They have been reliable and absolutely no-fuss at all.

Positive Joan On Oct 13, 2004, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

This beautiful plant has never failed me. Comes back year after year like an old and faithful friend. I love it!

Positive lauburt On Jun 1, 2003, lauburt from Vancouver, WA wrote:

Blooms continuously from June until frost. Nice, bright yellow color. I especially enjoy the feathery foliage!

Fayetteville, Arkansas
Kasota, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Rosemount, Minnesota
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Saint Paul, Minnesota (2 reports)
Belton, Missouri