PlantFiles: Yarrow, Milfoil, Staunchweed, Sanguinary, Thousandleaf, Soldier's Woundwort
Achillea millefolium 'Paprika'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Achillea (ak-ih-LEE-a) (Info)
Species: millefolium (mill-ee-FOH-lee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Paprika
Additional cultivar information: (Galaxy Series)

This plant is resistant to deer

By booboo1410

By Wandasflowers
Thumbnail #6 of Achillea millefolium by Wandasflowers

By victorgardener
Thumbnail #7 of Achillea millefolium by victorgardener

Positive outdoorlover On Jun 14, 2013, outdoorlover from Enid, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

From September 2012 until June 2013, this plant has grown to be H 36"; W 53" from a little 4" pot. It does very well in Enid, OK. Bloom color is true in hot, full sun (all day). No babies yet, but I have not looked too close. It began blooming in May and is still blooming, plus we had a very late spring. This yarrow began blooming the earliest of all yarrows I have.

Positive ctindell On May 20, 2010, ctindell from Sterling, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant is a ladybug magnet. I have purchased ladybugs in the past to have them in my yard, just to never see them! Every time I look at this plant there are ladybugs on it. I just love it for that!

Positive surfcity On Jun 22, 2009, surfcity from Huntington Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Paprika yarrow is my favorite yarrow. Not picky about soil or the lack of water, and I love the way it ages from a deep, rich red (with bluish undertones) to a soft yellowy-gold color that blends with other colors and ties other colors together. I have it in several different growing conditions: pots, the ground, sun and shadier conditions; and it still blooms profusely. Find a way to include this plant in your garden if you don't already have it.

Positive bonehead On Jun 3, 2009, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I'm usually not a fan of yarrow, I find it weedy and invasive, but this one is very well mannered and seems to overpower the grasses that typically run amuck in my yarrow. The color is very vivid as well. It's a keeper.

Positive anelson77 On May 25, 2009, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

This hasn't been invasive at all for me. When I first got it I put it in a dry spot with poor soil, full sun, and it sort of wimpily limped along. I moved it 2 years ago to a dry place with good soil, full sun, and it has been steadily spreading, now about 2 feet wide. It looks very pretty growing intermingled with a 'Powis Castle' artemisia, and threadleaf coreopsis. I love the terracotta color blooms against the silver of the artemisia, and like the fact that it is evergreen, even in our recent hard winter.

Positive angele On May 6, 2009, angele wrote:

I planted six of these in the spring of 2008. All did very well over the winter. Although bloom tme noted above says late summer/early fall mine are in full bloom in May. Lovely flowers and pretty green foliage make me glad I have them. Have not noticed any butterflies on them yet.

Positive vossner On May 5, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I like yarrows in general. Not invasive for me though they do get leggy by early summer so I give them a harsh haircut at that time. This particular cultivar, Paprika, is a beatiful red, but the color fades within 1 day. Still pretty in its faded stages but if one is wanting a permanent red, Paprika is just a one day red wonder.

Positive akcrafter On Jun 8, 2007, akcrafter from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

I love this yarrow with its color changes as the season passes. I use it in mixed beds that are mostly sunny to part shade and they thrive everywhere. I first grew it in Anchorage Alaska and now in Philadelphia and it is healthy and hearty both places. Here in Philadelphia I am mixing it with azaleas, rhododendrons,, asiatic lilies, hosta, columbines, etc. In Alaska it looked great living with ornamental grasses, lingularia, spirea and potentilla, lungwort, peony, ferns and wormwoods, troilius and forget-me-nots. I haven't found it to be demanding of my attention or invasive.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 18, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

According to one source, Achillea 'Paprika' is a German hybrid; it flowers from summer to early fall. Irresistible to butterflies. Excellent fresh cut flowers or dried. Individual color selections listed below. Remove spent blossoms to promote continuous flowering. Ruby red to salmon rose.

Positive sltxgardener On Feb 10, 2006, sltxgardener from Sugar Land, TX wrote:

This has stayed evergreen so far this winter in my zone 8b/9a garden. It has been increasing in bloom since January. I love the ferny foliage and the different colors of the bloom heads as they age.

Positive pokerboy On Mar 24, 2005, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant has striking red blooms thoughout the warmer months. The flowers do seem to turn white after some days on the plant. pokerboy.

Neutral jhyshark On Jul 10, 2004, jhyshark from Scottville, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I purchased plants of this variety because I liked the red... they have never bloomed true to this color. They are magenta with white centers. I bought from a reliable nursery, so don't know if they had a mix-up, or if there has been some change in the plant, soil conditions, etc. Interesting that others have noted changes in the color.

Positive Happenstance On Aug 31, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

My Achillea millefolium 'Paprika' has not held to the true red it was the first year, is a lovely red/pink.

Positive DavidPat5 On Aug 30, 2003, DavidPat5 from Chicago, IL wrote:

I love the fernlike foliage on these plants. It is a ground hugging plant and flowers profusely. This was my first year having one and can't wait to see what it looks like next year. The flowers turn almost white as they fade.

Positive Weezingreens On Oct 5, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

'Paprika' is a wonderfully red-bloomed yarrow that accents any garden. As with all yarrows, it throws underground runners, so it may become invasive. These runners are the best method of propagation, since seeds would not be true to the original plant.

Wedowee, Alabama