St. John's Wort
Hypericum 'Hidcote'

Family: Clusiaceae
Genus: Hypericum (hy-PER-ee-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Hidcote

Brevard, North Carolina

Holly Springs, North Carolina

Beavertown, Pennsylvania

Anderson, South Carolina

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Springfield, Virginia

Virginia Beach, Virginia

On Sep 3, 2012, SingingTurtle from Saugerties, NY wrote:

I have grown my St. John's Wort Hidcote for about 5 or 6 years in a south-facing bed of my zone 5b garden. The soil is fairly heavy clay but with good drainage and amended with compost. It has been one of my favorite shrubs, growing to about 3ft tall with a fountaining habit and strong bloom of large golden yellow flowers. This year growing conditions were bad, with no snow cover, a very early warm spell in March and then drought for most of June & July. For the first time, it did not do well at all, developing considerable dieback and little flowering. I am unsure whether the problems are strictly environmental or whether it has fallen victim to some kind of disease. I am tempted to lift and divide it, but wonder whether to do that now or wait 'til Spring. More research needed here, but i... read more

On Nov 20, 2009, shrubbs from Beavertown, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

People look for a maintenance free plant ... this is pretty close. The key is giving it the proper space to grow. In our central PA area it is a semi-evergreen - leaves remain green through the winter until late January (depending on the severity of the winter). Best way to maintain in our area - prune in the early spring leaving 3-6" of stem and do not prune until the next spring. Remember ... if you do not give it its needed space than it will seem overgrown in your garden.

On May 19, 2008, warrendavisx from Haddonfield, NJ wrote:

I've had much success with this plant as groundcover beneath shade trees. It keeps unwanted weeds at bay quite nicely, while some lily bulbs and hostas here and there are unimpeded. It has a neat and tidy appearance all season long, with a brief spell of small yellow flowers in Summer and limited green throughout zone 7a Winters in unprotected areas. Don't worry about browned leaves over Winter; the plant greens up abundantly in Spring. It spreads well, but is contained fairly easily with edging or by mowing the edges if bordering a lawn. My other common groundcovers are the more tender Lamiums which spread at about the same rate, and Vinca illuminata (a slower spreader).

On May 10, 2004, gardenfeet from Taylors, SC wrote:

This is my favorite bird shrub, it is evergreen and provides protection all year. When wet the soft leaves are used for bathing. My plant is 5'x5" and I have not found it to be invasive in 7a.

On Dec 10, 2003, vagardener from Springfield, VA wrote:

I love this plant. I cleared out some naturalized azaleas in front of my house and planted two of these in a space created. That was three years ago. Last winter, I thought they had died, because most of the growth became dry and brown. I cut them back, severely, this summer. Both can back with a vengence. They provide nice mid-summer color after the azaleas lose their blooms. This winter they're remaining green. They work well for me as a shrub and I've given them plenty of room to grow and fill out.

On Sep 15, 2003, goldendays from Crystal Springs, MS wrote:

We have two St. John's Wort plants. They are doing well, but really invasive in the flower bed. This is their second year, and they stayed green all winter.

On Jul 17, 2002, Lilith from Durham
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

One of the best known forms of this mid-sized shrub with rich green foliage and large golden flowers throughout the summer and into the fall. Semi-evergreen.