PlantFiles: Mandevilla, Dipladenia
Mandevilla splendens 'Red Riding Hood'

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mandevilla (man-de-VILL-uh) (Info)
Species: splendens (SPLEN-denz) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Riding Hood

Thumbnail #6 of Mandevilla splendens by GD_Rankin

By paolotakeru
Thumbnail #7 of Mandevilla splendens by paolotakeru

Positive hajnalka On Dec 23, 2010, hajnalka from Franklinton, NC wrote:

I absolutely love this guy!

I've had the same big gorgeous potted plant for 4 years now, near Raleigh, NC. In the fall/winter before first freeze I cut it way back and bring it inside to overwinter in a spare room with moderate light and very little water - no babying! It loses all its leaves and almost looks dead. When it warms up outside in Spring, I put it on my deck and start to water and fertilize ... it quickly sprouts back from all the branches and just goes crazy.

I put it back onto its patio space by a trellis, and it's blooming heavily and going nuts by mid-June. It climbs up my deck railings, blooms profusely all summer and gets bigger, better and more lush every year.

I hate that these are sold by the thousands as a tender annual every year - with very little effort you can bring it inside and leave it 'dormant' all winter, and it will reward you big-time - much better, bigger and stronger than if you throw it out every year and start with a new one.

I'll bet this would work well even much farther north. I've done this same thing with bougainvillea.

Positive rntx22 On May 3, 2009, rntx22 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I just love this mandevilla cultivar. It has bloomed almost constantly for me; the only time it slowed is when I brought it in the greenhouse over winter. And when it blooms, it has LOTS of blooms on it.

The first year I owned it, it was more of a shrub. Then this spring it started to vine out, but not too aggressively. I did plant it in the ground, so we will see if it does ok outdoors during winter. My other mandevilla has done fine outside so I think this one will too.

Neutral darlcshell On May 2, 2009, darlcshell from Bayport, NY wrote:

i believe this plant is being sold at costco. in Bohemia, NY it looks beautiful. has anyone on Long Island suffolk county grown this and had success?? i would like it to grow up and around a lattice that is hiding a large propane tank on my patio. will it flower the whole summer?

Positive kathy65468 On Nov 23, 2008, kathy65468 from Eunice, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have had this plant growing in a large hanging basket for 4 years. It blooms repeatedly and is such a pleasure to have. I have some problem with leaves turning yellow and dropping off, but with the winding vine I can hide the bare stem til I get around to rooting it.

Positive kwolowid On Oct 23, 2007, kwolowid from Thunder Bay

I live in a zone 3b in which case I must treat mandevilla as an annual. I love how quick this vine grows, in just one season, one plant covered a 6' x 6' area. I was also amazed at how frost hardy it was. It flowered into early october, by which time most of my perennials had already began to change colour and wilt. It took a few hard frosts before it showed any signs of frost damage. Even the lower parts of the vine closer to the ground that have been slightly protected from the frost are still producing flowers. I have taken cuttings and hope to grow a vine as beautiful as this years for next season!

Neutral annsrose On Sep 18, 2007, annsrose from Spring, TX wrote:

I just purchase this plant and transplanted it into a larger pot with a trellis. There were two small ones and I put them together. The only thing is the leaves seem to be turning yellow. I am thinking I need to put out in full sun. Will try and see if that works. Right now it is getting half shade half sun.

Positive BayAreaTropics On Jun 28, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

How did I miss commenting on this great plant?.Anyway's, Red is a great tropical vine for cooler areas.Mine is about 5or 6 years old surviving bay area winters,even the freeze of Jan 07 where it took four nights of 32 or lower-on top of a freezeing night in December the month before.
I thought the big freeze had done it in. Every leaf died in spring and it was a mass of tangled vine. It surprised by not only sprouting in mid spring,but sprouting vigourously .
I would water and fertilize heavily in summer.It is a big feeder. Use a balanced fertilizer to get bloom as well as as healthy foliage. Almost pest free. Aphids will sometimes attack.
Indoors,this is a horrible house plant-ha. It gets every pest including mites and aphids,then etiolates(stretches out) to a long stringy vine instead of the well behaved shrubby vine it is outdoors.
So many are sold,yet i dont see many in yards. And that new red cultivar is also astounding, Blooming in even cool Berkeley Ca...but,thats another story....
UPDATE: Its almost 2011 now and my potted plants are pushing a full decade old with stumpy thick trunks. BUT,they either are reaching the end of their lifespan or last years very cool summer wasnt enough as they sort of seem to be petering out in growth. If next summer is warm and they fail-then I guess the potted life is about a decade. If they come back to do well..I will report.

Positive hondacivic On Sep 1, 2004, hondacivic from Toronto

I live in Toronto,Canada, Zone 5. PLease bring your Dip in when the temps at night drop down to 10 celcius or approx 50 F. Prune it about 2/3 down and place in a SOUTH window for the winter. It will still grow but be a bit leggy.
Water sparingly - they don't like "wet feet".
Have been successful in propagating new shoots about this time of year by dipping in rooting hormone powder #2 and placing in vermiculite - in south window. MY FRIEND HAS ONE THAT IS WILY AND A WILD 20 FEET!!!!

Positive hanna1 On Jul 7, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I bought mine at Home Depot, It is beautifull, full of red flowers, sticker shows sun to shade, spreading to 20ft, cold hardiness 30-40degrees F. I'll have to move it for winter. I must have it in too much shade, and overwatered, leaves turning yellow, and falling off.

Neutral mamamoondancer On May 29, 2004, mamamoondancer from Milwaukee, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Vigorous evergreen twining vine to 4-6 feet (1.2-1.8 m), shrubbier than 'Alice du Pont'

Propagation: Hardwood cuttings, seeds

The Mandevillas are tender and need careful planning to be used in landscaping as perennial plant. They are often used as patio plant or as annuals. They are great trellised in containers or in hanging baskets.

Positive BUFFY690 On Nov 6, 2003, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I got one of these plants at the end of the season (ON SALE AT WALMART FOR 2.00) it is a slow grower but I am expecting it to do better next year. Although it is gonna bloom for me now that it is nov. I was very excited when I saw them coming on I just hope the weather hold out long enough for me to get a couple of flowers.

Positive denbob_51 On Sep 21, 2003, denbob_51 from Fort Gratiot, MI wrote:

We have the plant sitting on our deck and it has not stopped flowering since we got it in late may.We are wondering if we have to plant it before winter or cut it way back and bring it indoors.We have had more comments on its flowers.

Neutral JulieMacB On Jul 16, 2003, JulieMacB wrote:

I will have to bring 'Red Riding Hood' in for the winter. I suppose I should prune in the spring so as to make it more shrub-like. Beautiful plant.

Neutral sune On Jun 16, 2003, sune from Kissimmee, FL wrote:

We are in Central Florida and are planning to put these red dipladenia all around our lanai on the outside. Most of our neighbors have used hibiscus but we want something different. We are also planning to plant Blue Daze in between.

Positive kabloom On May 30, 2003, kabloom from Alpharetta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I wish this plant grew as fast as other types of mandevilla, but it is so full of blooms, I really can't complain. Mine is in a container in full sun.

Positive ign On Feb 28, 2003, ign from Hayward, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I have 'Red Riding Hood' in a large container, and it blooms from early April till December in northern California (U.S.) I have had some problems with a few leaves turning yellow and dropping off. Other than the leaf issue it is great and hummingbirds love to visit.

Neutral ranch45 On Feb 27, 2003, ranch45 from Interlachen, FL wrote:

This plant is extremely pretty and easy to grow, however, I have had problems with "caterpillar-like" worms that eat it late in the season, completely destroying the plant.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Castro Valley, California
Citrus Heights, California
Fullerton, California
Garden Grove, California
Hayward, California (2 reports)
Santa Monica, California