PlantFiles: Mandevilla, Pink Allamanda
Mandevilla x amoena 'Alice Dupont'

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mandevilla (man-de-VILL-uh) (Info)
Species: x amoena (am-oh-EN-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Alice Dupont

Synonym:Dipladenia x amoena

Seed is poisonous if ingested
Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling
Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Shiny/Glossy-Textured
Good Fall Color
Leathery-Textured

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry
Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By alhanks

By Alphie
Thumbnail #6 of Mandevilla x amoena by Alphie

By greeneyed_doll
Thumbnail #7 of Mandevilla x amoena by greeneyed_doll

Positive VineWorld On Jul 11, 2012, VineWorld from Syracuse, UT (Zone 7b) wrote:

Picked up two of these that were looking very rough, black spots, underwatered, too shaded, the works. They were a bargain so I got them anyway, and I'm very happy with them now. Since I planted them they have lost their flowers but have just exploded on my makeshift trellis' I had for them. With some serious pruning and a keen eye for diseased leaves, I've brought them back from the dead and they are a beautiful addition to my garden of vines. They wrap around elegantly and the large, glossy leaves are a bonus. They grow very fast and I have been extremely satisfied with both of them, highly recommended!

Positive morningloree On Feb 6, 2012, morningloree from Heathrow, FL wrote:

I picked up this plant at a Farmer's Market, the guy thought it was "some kind of Jasmine." I planted it in a sheltered area that gets plenty of morning sun, and as it began to bloom with some beautiful pink flowers, I realized I had a Mandevilla! It survived winter here in Zone 9b, but it is in a pool side planter next to the back door. I had not had luck before and my Mandevillas, which looked so healthy at the nursery, quickly succumbed to some blight a few months later. What a pleasant surprise that I unwittingly successfully grew one!

Positive Bazuhi On Jun 6, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Summer of 2010
Both a friend and I had this plant over the summer in 2010. Hers was huge and beautiful getting 15ft tall, mine grew 4ft tall and only grew leaves. I had it in an area in a large pot but I guess in an area with not enough sun.
She over wintered hers with success mine died over the winter of 2010/2011

Positive Digbyjones On Oct 14, 2009, Digbyjones from Eastport, ME wrote:

Positive all except the new fuzzy larva (?) that are making homes of white cacoon in all the dark hidden and nooks in the twisted vines. I live in Maine about 3 mile across the Bay of Fundy from New Brunswick. Killing frost last night so the vine is in a sunny window.
Bringing it in, I noticed fuzzy bits that squash when rubbed. Since I have a full-sun window, I am not doing the "winter dormant thing" as an experiment.

But I guess I need to get rid of these white fuzzy things.

Anybody had success with this situation? Thanks.

Positive napdognewfie On Aug 1, 2009, napdognewfie from Cumberland, MD (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought a new plant every year for about 15 years before someone told me they could go dormant. Last year right before frost, I stripped off most of the leaves & put 2 of them in a mostly dark unheated basement (no colder than 40) along with my Brugmansias. I dumped a cup or so of water on each of them about once a month. The rest of the leaves fell off & they looked dead. In spring, I repotted them with new soil & they sprouted from the older vines & sent up new ones from the bottom. They look great & are blooming. I am going to try to keep them again this year.

Positive haavbline On Jul 27, 2009, haavbline from Decatur, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have had this plant for the 2nd year. Last year I planted the 1 gallon plant into a 12in pot. I had some mildew problem.

I overwintered the plant in my sunroom by cutting back about half of the vine and only watered enough to keep it from drying out completely.

I brough the plant out starting in April, this is early for Atlanta and I needed to watch for colder nights. The plant gets only 4 hrs of sun from 11AM to 3PM and dappled PM sun. But it grows nicely, bug-free and started blooming in June. My placed a tropical hibiscus standard next to this plant and havn;t got a single bud on it so far.

Positive knapp1 On Jun 26, 2009, knapp1 from Richlands, VA wrote:

I have grown Mandevilla, both pink(Alice D.) and red in SW VA mountains. I train several reds against a 6 ft shale cliff and they cover it by late summer. I wedge large staples from the hardware store into the shale to attach the stems to the cliff. Once the vine establishes a good framework it is no longer necessary to do much attaching. They become spectacular specimens by mid summer and are covered with bloom till frost. I haven't made a serious attempt to over winter the plants but will try again this fall now that i have instructions from Dave's Garden. It is well worth the $29 they ask at Lowe's for good sized ones so I just buy several each year. They are not usually available here till early June. If I could get them in time to plant by May 15th I could have an earlier and larger display.

I also plant one Alice D. (pink) in a large pot beside a fire escape and it climbs to 25 feet and covers the entirerailing with gorgeous foliage and blooms.

Some one asked about the tubers. The plants make lots of them and it would seem they could be stored and used to start new plants in the spring. Has anyone tried this?
Doug Knapp, Richlands VA

Positive DiamondD On Oct 27, 2007, DiamondD from Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have 2 of these. One gets morning sun and one gets afternoon sun. The morning sun seems to be the best. The one getting the afternoon sun did well all summer but mid to late September it started to suffer from the strong heat and sun where as the one with the morning sun is still strong.

Positive nodnyl On Aug 16, 2007, nodnyl from Spring, TX wrote:

I have grown and lost and grown again this beautiful vine - one year it blooms and the next it dies. I use pots. This year (2007) I have three of them, two pink and one white, and they are all blooming nicely. Along with consistent watering, I'm now using a time release fertilizer (Osmocote) and Miracle Grow potting soil. I think I've found the right combination. I'm about to purchase my favorite, but most difficult color (yellow), so I'll soon see for sure. North of Houston, The Woodlands, zone 8B.

Neutral Janet_Hammill On Aug 30, 2006, Janet_Hammill from Brisbane
Australia wrote:

I bought 'Alice Dupont' one year ago, planting it into a large pot where it has flourished and grown beyond the supporting wires. This week I decided to plant it out into the garden to allow it to climb freely. I was stunned to find the pot was full of large tubers most of which I had to remove in order to replant it. This was an inordinate amount of tubers given it was merely one year old.

My concerns are that here in Queensland, Australia, we have to be careful we do not introduce plants that will become invasive to the detriment of our natives.

Neutral lindavh On Aug 3, 2006, lindavh from San Diego, CA wrote:

'Alice duPont' Mandevilla - What a beautiful plant! Trumpet pink flowers amid textured glossy large green leaves, amazing looking when blooming or not. I purchased it at my local nursery and repotted into a larger pot with a trellis for it to cover. It's August 2006, our weather is warm and ideal for this plant.

Then.... light green catepillars eating up the plant, yikes!
So, starting spraying with organic BTK, as suggested, and have them under control, I think...

Now... no flowers, not a one, and wondering when they will re-appear. I live in San Diego, California and it sits on my patio with partial sun. Most of the time the bottom part is in the shade as my small patio fence is facing west and the plants pot is on the other side, but it does receive indirect morning sun and direct late afternoon sun on top portion. The soil is moist, but alas, the flowers aren't blooming and when trying I think, they are stopped before they develop.

Positive year On May 16, 2006, year from Norfolk, VA wrote:

I have taken my plant inside to an unheated attached garage.Placed near the door. cut back about 6 in. do not water it until i slowly get it use to the warmer weather. Don`t place it outside too soon. I have kept the same one for several years. I have been told to root prune(I can`t understand this). wonder if you can start new plants from the potato like bulbs. I think the attached garage is warmer because I had one die in my shed.

Positive jdiaz On Feb 24, 2006, jdiaz from Chowchilla, CA wrote:

I have two 'Alice Dupont' growing outdoors in zone 9 on two colums. one on each side of the front entrance of my house. they bloomed all through the winter until a rather sudden and unexpected shift from 70 degree weather to below 40 degree weather followed by a couple of light frosts burned the leaves. no major damage though, it continues to grow rapidly.

jd

Positive Kell On Sep 7, 2005, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have grown this vine for many years now but last year was the first year I got it to live over to the next. I always grow them in 20 gallon pots. I do not know if the very few light frosts get them or if our heavy 3 months of winter rain does them in.

I love them though, they are fast growers and covered in blooms all season long. I always get a light case of aphids on them in late summer. They are easily killed off though with soapy water.

Positive natala On Dec 17, 2004, natala from Saginaw, MI wrote:

Working landscaping in Michigan, I ripped this beatuiful flowering vine late in the season at a funiture co that just wanted everything taken out and cleaned up after an overnight low of 29 in the latter part of October (record breaker.)

It was still in full bioom and just breathtaking to look at. The root ball was out of the ground about an hour or so then I stuck it in the ground watered it in and went back to work. not thinking too much about it. Three or four days passed and the weather had gone from 70 to 40 and cold rain set in.

I found this site and just sat back and laughed when I foud it to be a zone 10 or 12 tropical, but in the cold rain I went out and potted the two of them up into big square patio pots. NOW 2 months later they have stopped blooming and are putting up with the warm dry heat I have been misting them 2 or 3 times a week. I really thought they were goners, all the flowers and most of the leaves browned and fell off but today I have new shoots coming up from the bottom out of the soil as well as new growth on the vines as well, wish me luck!

Positive ariodlove On Jul 17, 2004, ariodlove from Louisville, KY wrote:

This plant has a beautiful pink bloom with a yellow/pink throat.
I grow mine in a spot with afternoon sun and seems to do fine. Also is very slightly scented

Positive CatskillKarma On Jul 16, 2004, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

I grow Alice in a container every year and let it frame my garden shed. It makes it up to the peak of the roof by fall and is completely charming and easy. I start a new one each June because we have a very short season and the temperature fluctuations in my woodstove heated cabin are more than it can take over the winter. I've never had any insect problems, and I live in the moth capital of the universe.

Positive iradella On Jul 15, 2004, iradella from Grapevine, TX wrote:

I have three mandevillas. Two are doing great. I have two 'Alice DuPont' plants. They are both in the same type of container, in the same place. One is growing like crazy and the other one isn't doing anything anymore. It's stopped growing. I have fed it, watered it, checked it for insects...and it still will not grow.

Positive hanna1 On Jul 7, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Extended bloom, easy care, patio container, tropical, woodland garden. Great choice for trellis or arbor. Ice pink with darker pink throat. Each flower lasts for several days. What a beautifull choice. Such large flowers, I just had to add it to my climbing collections.

Neutral alest On May 9, 2004, alest wrote:

My 'Alice Dupont' Mandevilla seems to be growing well but all the new buds just seem to turn brown, dry up and drop off.

Positive FloridaDi On Jun 27, 2003, FloridaDi from Largo, FL wrote:

Have experienced the same catapiller problems. Don't have a good solution - I'm afraid I stoop to commercial pestisides - and be quick about it as they will munch right through the entire vine in a few days.

Positive ranch45 On Jun 24, 2003, ranch45 from Interlachen, FL wrote:

I agree with the other gardeners!!! This is a beautiful vine and quite easy to grow. I have only one problem with it--- late in the season it gets "worms or caterpillars" which totally destroys the plant for the rest of the season.

Positive Bug_Girl On Nov 10, 2002, Bug_Girl from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I have 'Alice du Pont' - very well known with pink flowers, and very easy to grow.

Positive meiyu On Aug 13, 2002, meiyu from san antonio, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I absolutely love this and any and all mandevillas!! Everyone at the nurseries kept telling me they needed full sun, so I wasn't sure if they would like growing on my rod iron balcony railing, getting morning and late afternoon/early evening sun, but they love it!!! I have 3 different varieties and 3 different shades of pink from almost white (can't remember the name?), to pale/light pink (alice du pont), to dark pink (hot pink something?), growing inter-twined, along the balcony over my front door, and it's so beautiful, people always ask if it's real. The best part is, as they drop their flowers at the end of the day, it leaves a welcome mat of fresh flower petals to greet my family and friends!!

I'm in Zone 8, San Antonio, Texas, and my mandevillas' soil is neutral (between 6.5-7.0), and they love Superbloom about twice a month. I mist them sometimes on hot afternoons, and keep their roots protected with heavy mulch. Moist and cool and comfortable.

Positive darius On Jul 30, 2002, darius from So.App.Mtns.
United States (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love how easy this plant is to grow, and how splendid it looks in bloom. Since it is a tropical, it will have to come indoors for the winter in my zone 6b. I will try to remember to post next year how it does inside a somewhat dim, dry, heated house over winter.

Dothan, Alabama
Kerrville, Texas
La Porte, Texas
Port Arthur, Texas
Rowlett, Texas
Spring, Texas (2 reports)
Victoria, Texas