PlantFiles: Walking Iris
Neomarica northiana

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Neomarica (nee-oh-mar-EE-kuh) (Info)
Species: northiana (north-ee-AY-nuh) (Info)

Synonym:Moraea northiana

Thumbnail #6 of Neomarica northiana by Margiempv

By Margiempv
Thumbnail #7 of Neomarica northiana by Margiempv

Neutral hidenhrt On Jun 25, 2012, hidenhrt from Highland Springs, VA wrote:

I have several walking Iris plants, One patch I planted in a pot another needed to root so I have them in water, another patch is in a big pot. Some of the leaf tips are turning brown what should I do. The second I saw these beautiful plants I knew I had to have them. Now I just need some help getting them started on the right foot.

I am not real satisfied I have them planted correctly. I live in Virginia and I think in a pot is best as our winters can get very cold.

Can I plant them in regular Miracle Grow Potting soil?

How big of a pot should I plant them in and how many to a pot?

Thanks for your help. You can email at hidenhrt@aol.com

Positive Southernbell421 On Jan 13, 2012, Southernbell421 from Ocala, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I was given this plant by a friend around 15 years ago and not knowing what I actually had I planted it under an oak tree which it really did nothing. One day I moved the plant into an container and put it on my back patio where it got full sun and was soon very surprised to see it flower. I then went and did research on it and was happy to find out this plant was a walking Iris. It does very well on my back patio. In the winter I sometimes have to move it to protect it from the frost but otherwise it has done wonderful. I have even divided it and now have 2 huge plants.
The butterflies like it and so do the bees. I water it every day and it looks really nice even when it doesn't flower. It does put out alot of baby plants though and right now all I do is just cut them off and throw them away.

Positive Margiempv On Jul 9, 2008, Margiempv from Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

Easy to grow...................increases freely along side it's mother, as well as by new plants forming off of the bloom. Blooms last only a day, but there are many of them!!

Plant is native to South America. Nice indoor or outdoor plant. Recommended.

Positive goode On Jun 29, 2005, goode from Fitzgerald, GA wrote:

I was given a sprig by a close friend,she didn't know what it was, except her plant was beautiful. My sprig is now 3 yrs old. I have the planter sitting on a patio table and the plant is now over 3 ft wide and over 5 ft hi. It bloomed more last yr and only a day at a time. This yr it has bloomed 3 times. The blooms did not seem to be as healthy as before. Some of the babies are touching the porch, some of the older leaves are turning brown. I have noticed cars slowing down to see the pretty blooms and so many comments from strangers also. As far as I know, my plant is the only one in this town that has had the many blooms on it. I will e-mail a pix of my walking iris.
Clare Fussell

Positive broozersnooze On Aug 18, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Very easy to grow here in NE Florida. Blooms very fragrant, resemble an orchid but only last 1 day. Plant produces a long, bloom-bearing streamer. After the bloom drops off leaves a "baby".
My pride & joy is 3 feet tall & 3 feet wide, is in a very large planter in part shade. I had to place the planter on a large pedestal to keep the "babies" from touching the floor of my porch. Temps dipped to 19F, never covered it & this plant was none the worse. Come the spring - it just got bigger.
Have several hanging baskets of this, given many away. My neighbor planted hers in her yard covered by oak trees. Shade, sun - whatever, it grows.

Oro Valley, Arizona
Whitemarsh Island, Georgia
Volcano, Hawaii
Choudrant, Louisiana
Mandeville, Louisiana
New Orleans, Louisiana (2 reports)
Zachary, Louisiana