Oriental Lily
Lilium 'Casa Blanca'

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lilium (LIL-ee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Casa Blanca

(c) Down-facing

Flower Shape:

Recurved

Bloom Size:

6" to 12" (151 mm to 300 mm)

Color Pattern:

Papillae

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Flowers are good for cutting

By dividing the bulb's scales

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Tucson, Arizona

Downers Grove, Illinois

Hampton, Illinois

Palmyra, Illinois

Rockford, Illinois

Indianapolis, Indiana (2 reports)

Macy, Indiana

Portsmouth, Virginia

Chimacum, Washington

East Port Orchard, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Madison, Wisconsin (2 reports)

Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

On May 29, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

It's 2011 and this is my favorite of the Oriental Lily.... Mine have been around since 2002 when I first ordered them from Jackson and Perkins. Mine are in full sun and reach a height of at least 4ft and just spill thier frangrance all over the yard...In fact they have even appeared to have multiplied where they are currently growing. I have never staked mine and they have never fallen over either which I am suprised as my other orientals need staking. In fact I love these so much that now that I have a new sun garden areas after some tree removal I have order 10 more of these bulbs from Edenbrothers and have placed them in different areas so I can get MORE of thier devine fragrance.! I planted the new ones in April right when I got the bubs and already I see them sprouting.. I am very ex... read more

On Aug 26, 2010, foreseen from Hamtramck, MI wrote:

This lily has one of the most beautiful fragrances I have ever experienced in my life! The fragrance is much stronger and more pleasant then any other oriental lilies I have come across. The flowers are big and beautiful. The only negative aspect of this lily is that, like all lilies, it has such a short blooming season and squirrels love to destroy the plants. If only this lily could be an ever-blooming tree in Michigan (sigh lol).

On May 29, 2010, nwh from Chicago, IL wrote:

You can't go wrong with these! They are easy to grow and just spectacular. I have grown them for over 11 years. When we moved I brought some of them with me, I put them in pots and dragged them along in the heat of July -- not the best time to move a plant--but they survived and thrived.

On Aug 12, 2009, rschluss from Medford, MA wrote:

without question, this is the most spectacular flower in my garden. size, form, and fragrance all combine to create breathtaking flowers.

On Jul 16, 2009, cloverlymd from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

We have a bunch of these in a bed on the north side of the house here in Maryland. They are always reliable and spectacular, and the scent is penetrating.

On May 19, 2009, Articulady from Palmyra, VA wrote:

I have been growing Casablanca lilies since 1989 - I first purchased 3 bulbs from B & D Lily in Washington State. I have always kept them in big tubs, mostly exposed only to morning sun, although this year I plan to move some into the ground in full sun. I cut the flowers once they start to open and stuff big heavy vases all over the house with them, with no apparent detriment to the next crop. The fragrance and size of the flower (can be 10") are incomparable. The bloom period seems quite short compared to the rest of the year, but they are worth the wait.

On Nov 20, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Love it! A very beautiful and very fragrant Oriental Lily!

On May 16, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is the best white lily grown, in my opinion. It has a fragrance like no other and is hardy, sturdy with big, beautiful blooms. A very nice thing about this lily is that it's so easy to grow.

On Nov 24, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This lily is stunning. The bulbs are large and the flower is immense. It prefers full sun, but will do well in partial shade, too. Flowers appear in mid-summer and bloom to fall. It prefers well-drained soil and can't tolerate standing water for very long.

On Jan 18, 2003, MaVieRose from High Desert, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Casa Blanca the most beautiful white lilium and magnificently fragrant specie of oriental lily. The flower is pure white with white specks. The bloom is nearly 11" across from point to point of the flower. The number of buds per stem depends on the age of the bulb, and lenght of time planted in one spot. The bigger the bulb is, the more buds are present. Plant oriental lilies in full sun as leaves and buds form. Once buds begin to form, move in partial shade to protect the bloom from discoloring or drying out.

I personally feed the bulb during planting time with superphosphate and foliar feed with MG 15-30-15 once a week, during growing season until the leaves turn brown. I don't allow oriental lilies to form seed at the expense of next year's bloom. My personal choice is t... read more

On Aug 16, 2002, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

The casablanca bloom has the most wonderful fragrance that carries throughout my whole garden. The long lasting blooms are another plus.