PlantFiles: White Coneflower
Echinacea purpurea 'White Swan'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-a) (Info)
Species: purpurea (pur-PUR-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: White Swan

Synonym:Echinacea purpurea alba
Synonym:Brauneria purpurea
Synonym:Rudbeckia purpurea

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

By mingsmimi

Thumbnail #6 of Echinacea purpurea by Happenstance

By lunavox
Thumbnail #7 of Echinacea purpurea by lunavox

Positive iowhen On Jul 2, 2013, iowhen from Iowa City, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Mine are not fragrant for some reason. But the stems are incredibly sturdy. This is their third year and they are blooming like crazy.

Positive DCephasTX On Apr 29, 2013, DCephasTX from Lakewood Village, TX wrote:

One of the many coneflowers in my garden. I have collected and planted seeds from all of my varieties in the garden by simply cutting off the mature seed head and dragging it into the ground where I want them to grow. All have germinated and have green foliage now (Apr 29th) but won't know if they retained thier parent flower color till the first blooms break.

Positive Clary On Jun 29, 2012, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have had fairly good success with this coneflower. The plant is a little smaller this year than previous years, but I think I disturbed the roots when planting a new neighbor.

The cone is a sunny yellow and the petals are cream when opening and then become clear white. The fragrance is very lemony. The flowers last a long time. It receives as much attention from nectar feeders and goldfinches as my "wild" eastern coneflower variety (the purple ones).

I hope that the plant multiplies as well as the wild variety; if it doesn't, I will plant a second one. I replaced a patch of daisies with the White Swan and am very pleased with it.

Positive Bazuhi On Jun 9, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Saw these plants at the local Home Depot in 2010 and really liked the flower color. They were actually the best blooming one of the three I did purchase last year so I hope this year they really take off!

Positive thmpr On Mar 9, 2011, thmpr from Eureka, CA wrote:

From my experience, it's hard to go wrong with any cultivar of Echinacea purpurea, and "White Swan" is no exception.
I've successfully grown it in the summer heat of Kansas and Missouri, and in the perpetually cool weather of coastal Humboldt County, CA. It just seems to be happy everywhere, although the midwest-grown plants did grow more vigorously, and seemed to be stronger plants, with deeper roots than their redwood coast cousins.
I agree that the purple(pink) varieties of Echinacea purpurea do generally seem to grow better, and have fewer problems than "White Swan", but it is still a beautiful and very easy-to-grow plant.

Negative kizilod On Jul 25, 2010, kizilod from Uxbridge, MA wrote:

Echinacea 'White Swan' is the most bug-eaten flower in my central Massachusetts garden. It never gets a chance to fully bloom. The petals are eaten as quickly as they develop, and the leaves get munched on too. I have occasionally seen Japanese and Oriental beetles on it, but I am not sure what critter is doing all the damage.

I think I will replace the plant with fringed shasta daisies (Aglaia), which only get minor damage from beetles, or purple Echinacea, which bugs seem to ignore.

Positive themikeman On Jul 1, 2010, themikeman from Concord, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Very beautiful echinacea..pale white with a tint off cream or off white to it, especially from far back.i had been looking for one of these for about 8 years and finally found one last month.in kannapolis nc farmers market and nursery.a huge beautiful one with dark green handsome leaves..foliage and flowers on this white swan tolerate the NC heat much better than the pink varieties of echinacea. i have a couple ruby star pink var. echinacia and even though i water them constantly all are about completely cooked this year, the white swan however is thriving!!! mike.

Positive huntnlabs On Jun 15, 2010, huntnlabs from Xenia, OH wrote:

I planted 2 purple coneflowers 2 years ago. This year I had 4 coneflower plants coming up and thought the original 2 plants were reproducing the others. To my surprise one of the plants is a white swan coneflower! It's as tall and blooming right next to one of my original plants and both are the same size. A very nice addition to my flower bed but I have no idea where or how it got there. I've never seen any in the neighbors yards.

Negative Marshmellow On May 7, 2010, Marshmellow from Fitchburg, MA wrote:

Year after year a caterpillar makes nests in the flower head and destroys the flowers. It only attacks the white echinacea, while the hordes of purple echinacea in my garden are pretty much pest free. It is also difficult to get rid of.

After 3 years in a row of the flower being destroyed by that critter, this year I pulled them.

Positive hannett_garner On Jun 21, 2009, hannett_garner from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

Planted last year & looks fabulous. Strong, vigorous, upright... plant is as tall as my chain link fence & flowers are taller. Can't wait to see it in a couple more years. : )

Positive sandstreet On Mar 28, 2009, sandstreet from Kinderhook, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Positive trioadastra On Jul 20, 2008, trioadastra from Ellsworth, WI (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is my favorite coneflower. It is simple and elegant, sturdy and stately. I have about 5 plants, all started from seed, which was very easy to do. I also moved one this spring, dug 6 inches from the crown all the way around, and relocated the whole clump. Much to my surprise, it is growing back in the same spot from some roots left in the ground! Now that's what I'd call tough. (Think I'll let it stay in that spot...) I will add, though, that mine do not self sow.

Neutral vossner On May 28, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

tried to grow from seeds: a bust; bought some by mail, died; buying a 3rd time, locally. This is my last attempt.

Positive kimmy222 On Jul 5, 2007, kimmy222 from Reading, PA wrote:

I love this coneflower. I just planted three of them together last year. Since they were just settling in they didn't put on much of a show. I was having mixed feelings about this cultivar. That has changed. This year they are gorgeous. Tons of bloom even without constant deadheading. The white petal color with an olive-yellow-brown cone compliments the pure green foliage beautifully. I would recommend this cultivar of coneflowers. I find it very easy to care for, it has lots of blooms, and it hasn't shown any signs of disease.

Positive RDT On Aug 23, 2006, RDT from Crossville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have a horticulturist friend who agrees with me that this has never reseeded itself in our area. It does grow larger and can be separated by dividing the roots. Great plant.

Positive bigcityal On Dec 10, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Nice white drooping flower. Does note spread or reseed that fast in my zone.

Neutral saya On Feb 28, 2005, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

This purpurea has disappointed me a little. The flowers are somewhat small and touched by a bug, fungus ....?
I 've seen pics of these however on this thread that showed a bit of what I'm complaining about.
I've given it another spot in my garden now, maybe it 'll do better.

Negative CBernard On Oct 22, 2004, CBernard from Perris, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Has anyone in So California had success with this plant? I just planted one from out of state and I am eager to see if it does well!! 7/23/2005 Actually the White Swan Coneflower is blooming beautifully. I didn't really expect it to bloom this summer because I just planted them last fall but they did. They are also nice to look at. Chuck

6/4/2006 I have bought a total of four of these plants. I have planted them in different places in my backyard. However I can't get any of the plants to last longer than one year. They are very good at attracting butterflies but they are annuals in my backyard.

Chuck

Positive ncgardenaddict On Aug 1, 2004, ncgardenaddict from Kannapolis, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Upright, drought tolerant, and beautiful! Southern heat and humidity does not bother it a bit and the blooms last a long time on the plant or in a vase. This may be one of my favorite coneflowers.

Positive nipajo On Jun 2, 2004, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Like the purple coneflower, the white coneflower spreads rapidly. This year for some reason they have taken off. The blooms last a good long time and keep reblooming until frost. I live in the 7-8 zones, in Dallas Tx.. We must have had a mild winter because they are slowly moving out from the back to the front.

Positive kooger On May 24, 2004, kooger from Oostburg, WI (Zone 5b) wrote:

This one did not get as tall, only about 16"-18", as the purple types. Also did not multiply as fast, but had a larger flower.

Neutral Sis On Aug 11, 2001, Sis wrote:

White Swan is fragrant with snow-white blooms.

Drought tolerant and cones are chosen for dried arrangements'

Blooms the first year from sowing.

Auburn, Alabama
Enid, Oklahoma
Bend, Oregon
Chiloquin, Oregon
Dallas, Oregon
Portland, Oregon (2 reports)
Walterville, Oregon