PlantFiles: Devil's Trumpet
Datura stramonium var. tatula

Genus: Datura (duh-TOO-ruh) (Info)
Species: stramonium var. tatula

Synonym:Datura tatula

» View all varieties of Brugmansias

Not Applicable

Purple

Late Fall/Early Winter

Blue-Green
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

By Happenstance
Thumbnail #1 of Datura stramonium var. tatula by Happenstance

By Clare_CA
Thumbnail #3 of Datura stramonium var. tatula by Clare_CA

By Debby
Thumbnail #5 of Datura stramonium var. tatula by Debby

Positive tommyr2006 On Sep 16, 2011, tommyr2006 from Poughkeepsie, NY wrote:

I started my plants from seed given to me by a work friend in late winter indoors this year. They take a while to start but once they do the take off pretty quickly! Mine are white. After researching these first I made sure to wear latex gloves when handling them during pruning, etc. as they CAN give some people skin reactions. Just wear those cheap latex gloves when working with these plants. The flowers open at night or on dark days and are fairly long and yes, they look like trumpets! The seed pods are very spikey and do stab you if you're not careful! I let my seed pods dry out before harvesting them. Each pod contains MANY,MANY seeds! I really like this plant!

Positive themikesmom On Aug 30, 2011, themikesmom from Concord, NC wrote:

This was growing in a field near my friend Monte's greenhouse and nursery. he found it just before an adjacent buisness who owned the field black toped over it and he let me have it as he did not have room for it. Just beautiful almost baby blue color and smaller trumpet than most daturas. it has weird pointy leaves. just beautiful for a weed.

Neutral Bazuhi On Jun 8, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I don't have this one found out which one I do have but I can't delete this for some reason

Positive Buttoneer On Jul 30, 2009, Buttoneer from Carlisle, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I found some old seeds of D. tatula and since I had never grown it before, sowed several in May 2009. I grew two plants to a huge size and the larger plant is blooming for the first time now (7/29/09). Both plants are loaded with buds and I hope to get fresh seeds. I love Daturas and know better than to eat any part of them. The only reason I grow them is for the beauty of the flowers and to trade seeds. Anybody who takes the chance to eat any of this plant should definitely NOT do so. Just enjoy it for the flowers. I saw a fly of some sort pollenating it. It opened up around 7:00 p.m. today and will probably stay open all night & close tomorrow morning. I submitted two photos. I am always glad to be able to germinate old seeds & grow the plants to flowering size. It is not hardy here in PA zone 6, but I will keep in the greenhouse over the winter.

Positive hortims On Aug 30, 2008, hortims from Sacramento, CA wrote:

I bought a Datura as a 2 inch plant by mail order. Should have transplanted earlier but once I put it in a half wine barrel, it really took off! I fertilize with a liquid but the plant is two years old and not one bloom although the little tree a pretty on it's own. Sacramento area got pretty cold last winter for California, but it is partially under an overhang so weathered winter just fine

Positive starrdette24 On May 28, 2008, starrdette24 from Perrin, TX wrote:

one of the most heavenly smelling flowers i have ever come across, i have one of mine planted near the front door, open up the door after the sun goes down and the blooms start to open up, fills the entire house with that heavenly aroma!!!

Positive scwoody2004 On Apr 28, 2008, scwoody2004 from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

Very large beautiful flowers and irregular qualities in appearance. One of my favorite indigenous plants.

However, it is a narcotic made popular by the novel "The Teachings of Don Juan," having effects much like any other powerful psychotropic substance consisting of extreme dilation of the pupil, flushed, warm. and dry skin, dry mouth, urinary retention and ileus (loss of control of bodily functions), rapid heart beat, hypertension or hypotension, and choreoathetosis/jerky movements (most DEFINITELY not for cold/cough remedy).
Beware of teenagers and hippies when planting.

Negative aleda On Sep 22, 2007, aleda from izmir
Turkey wrote:

I was nearly dying because of this plant. I am having bronchitis for a month, I wanted to get rid of it. So, I searched through the net and I found that it is good for bronchitis. I boiled the water and then put 2-3 small pieces of tatula into the water. Then after 5-10 minutes, I drank tatula tea. After 30 minutes or so, I felt dizzy and couldn't control my balance. Then with the help of my family, I went to my bed but I felt thirsty a lot. I drank like 2 liters of water in an hour. Then of course, I had the need to go to the bathroom but I had no excretion. Then I started to have talking problems because I had difficulty to make sentences. I was starting a sentence but then I was forgetting what I was saying and I wasn't completing my sentences. Then my family wanted to take me to the hospital. Doctors thought I was secretly smoking grass, so a psychiatrist came and tried to talk to me and my family separately. I tried to explain them that i wasn't smoking anything, not even cigarette but it was hard to believe since I wasn't even able to pronunce words correctly. Then, I had two blood tests and a urine test but everything was normal. I tried to read the results of the tests but I wasn't able to read anything. They gave me an isotonic serum and I got better but my eyes were the same. Towards morning they said that I can go home but I should come back if I still have convergent sight problem. When I woke up in the morning the first I did was trying to read the paper. But I was even unable to use my cellular. So, we went to the hospital again. While I was waiting for the doctor, we saw a family frined who is also a med. doctor. When I told him about the problems I had from last night since morning he asked me the name of the plant and when I said that is tatula, he told me that it is used by drug addicts when they are unable to buy or find drugs.
I was lucky because I drank only one cup of it although I like herbal tea a lot. He added that I could be in intensive care at the hospital or even die because of this plant.
So, be very careful about this plant in every way and try warn everybody for its danger.

Neutral Monocromatico On Mar 19, 2005, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This plant appeared out from nothing. Probably seeds came along with the eart I sued in my new front yard, and so they germinated. I have two plants actually, bot below 1 meter tall and already blooming and developing fruits. They are commonly seen as volunteers, and sometimes considered a weed. Growing so well from seed without any care in my yardjust confirms that.

Besides that, the huge flowers are pretty at night.

And itīs deadly poisonous, although some people drink an infusion made with its leaves that is highly hallucinogenous, frequently causing permanent sequels.

Positive BUFFY690 On Jun 10, 2004, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant started out as a freebie from my local nursery, last year it took off and bloomed ALOT but was only about 1 and a half ft high this year it has topped out at 5 feet and it blooms almost constantly. I learned a trick last year about the seed pods. If you get some pantyhose footies or an old pair and tie it off slip it over the spiny pod when it get almost to the point where it will start to dry out and the footie will stay on the plant and catch any seeds that may happen to escape the pod, when it is ready clip it and shake they look kind of funny on the plants but it helps keep volunteers from popping up in unwanted places. Where I have mine planted I do not have to room to accomodate any more of these right now, so I collect the seeds for trade. I would like to get a couple of different colors and plant them elsewhere in my yard

Negative fragmentedeath On Jun 8, 2004, fragmentedeath from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I didn't have any problems with cultivating this plant except for my eyes turning blood shot and dry as well as my skin when being in contact with datura too much, but i find it suprising that you say you have information about this plant and have no negative or neutral aspects when it and every plant in the nightshade family are very deadly

Positive Happenstance On Aug 28, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

A new favorite, from 4" pot to 4' x 4' plant in 7 weeks, prolific bloomer, lots of seed pods, allow pods to ripen and dry completely before carefully removing the entire pod with a sharp knife and beware the spines on the pods, they are lethal.

Perennial in Sunset Zones 16-17, which is Central and Northern CA Coastal Thermal Belts and Marine Effects in Southern Oregon, Northern & Central California.

Positive PippiPat On Jul 24, 2002, PippiPat wrote:

The White Devil's Trumpet blooms only at night. The blooms can be seen in the morning and sometimes on cloudy days. That is the reason it is called Devil's Trumpet, blooms at night. Whereas the Datura that blooms in the day time is called Angel's Trumpet. These blooms are not fragrant, but are very showy and seem to reflect the moon light. At one time it was very common in pastures in Texas, before over graising and over population. It does still grow well here. I have seen a long line of bushes, along a sidewalk, blooming at night, on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, these last years while visiting there. The seeds are held in a rough, prickly round pod. Both the seed pods and plant stem/leaves can cause burning to the skin, especially face areas, so wash hands after touching. This is true of all Datura. Intake very poisonous, so watch small children with care!

Glendale, Arizona