PlantFiles: Stout Blue-eyed Grass
Sisyrinchium angustifolium

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sisyrinchium (sis-ee-RINK-ee-um) (Info)
Species: angustifolium (an-gus-tee-FOH-lee-um) (Info)

Synonym:Sisyrinchium bermudiana
Synonym:Sisyrinchium graminoides
Synonym:Sisyrinchium gramineum
Synonym:Sisyrinchium bermudianum

Medium Blue

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By Lophophora

Thumbnail #6 of Sisyrinchium angustifolium by jnana

By Kim_M
Thumbnail #7 of Sisyrinchium angustifolium by Kim_M

Positive Vertrees On Dec 5, 2011, Vertrees from Gatineau, Quebec

The most beautiful of all the cultivars of Sisyrinchium is the little
spritely Golden-eyed grass ( Sisyrinchium californicum).

It makes a gorgeous accent or companion plant for a bonsai when it is grown in a tiny shallow pot.

Neutral amygirl On Dec 5, 2011, amygirl from Miami, FL wrote:

This species is actually native to south Florida. It is found in moist sunny locations within Everglades National Park, including the portion south of Florida City. I've seen it growing in the Long Pine Key area within ENP. I did not realize this species had such a wide native range....up north!

Neutral Gabrielle On Jul 19, 2011, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Grows in tough areas and self-seeds freely. Cute little flowers when in bloom, kind of plain the rest of the time. Blooms May-June in my garden.

Neutral beachwalker520 On Apr 10, 2011, beachwalker520 from New Smyrna Beach, FL wrote:

This low maintenance plant will do well in full sun or morning sun in my area. When this is in bloom it makes me think of perky happy little faces .
The daily visiting sand hill cranes love to grab these plants by the dying brown blades and pull the plants out so remove old blades as soon as you can.
I bought the plants at a local garden center and was given the impression they multiplied by mounding. When I discovered new plants popping up around the pond in our common area I researched and saw they can scatter their seeds. Some of ours went over 250 feet.

Positive StolenMoments On Jan 27, 2009, StolenMoments from Petersburg, IN wrote:

Lol... well I bought mine at Lowes... (maybe I should look my yard over this spring!) I loved it and it is so dainty and pretty in front of my mixed border. I have large rocks and it is a great fill around them. I divided with no problems and now have several starts off one 4 inch pot. Excellent in Indiana, mine is in part shade and doing well (even though it says full sun)

Positive VwestTN On May 21, 2008, VwestTN from Brighton, TN wrote:

I discovered this wonderful little jewel growing wild in the yard. I carefully collected and replanted en masse. My husband thought I had lost my mind, but now admits it is eye-catching when in bloom. 8-)

Vicky
Brighton, TN

Note: A couple of "clumps" are turning black. Has anyone seen this plant do this before? If so, did it die or regenerate. Thanks

Positive crimsontsavo On Mar 16, 2008, crimsontsavo from Crossville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

An absolutely great plant. Makes a great smaller border grass for beds, or planted en mass.

Positive chicochi3 On May 5, 2007, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

They grow wild here and they are quite attractive. They do need a partial shade in this area. When not in bloom, the plants strongly resemble grass.

Positive carrieebryan On Oct 13, 2006, carrieebryan from Independence, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I found Sisyrinchium angustifolium growing wild in my lawn in New Jersey.

Positive sheilalarry On Apr 7, 2006, sheilalarry from Punta Gorda, FL wrote:

I bought some of these and have moved them around in my yard to find a spot where they would do well. They are now shaded by the house until late afternoon and thriving, with very little water needed. I also see some growing wild in some of the more neglected lawns in town here. Very pretty.

Positive MotherNature4 On Dec 10, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

These little beauties benefit from occasional mowing, otherwise they would be lost and shaded out. I find them growing in wet areas as far south as zone 10 in Florida.

Positive CaptMicha On Dec 9, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I happened upon a bunch growing in the shade in a moist area of the yard.

They flower early in the spring and the flowers last a while.

These are easily mistaken for grass so be careful with mowing.

Neutral lupinelover On Apr 26, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Plant grows well in shade; just a lessening of flowering. Leaves are evergreen, grass-like glaucous green. Great foliage effect for shade gardens.

Tuskegee, Alabama
Glouster, Ohio
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Mc Kean, Pennsylvania
Millersburg, Pennsylvania
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania (2 reports)
Columbia, South Carolina