PlantFiles: Rain Lily, Rainlily, Fairy Lily, Zephyr Lily, Copper Rain Lily
Zephyranthes 'Prairie Sunset'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zephyranthes (ze-fi-RANTH-eez) (Info)
Cultivar: Prairie Sunset

Bulbs

Pale Pink
Coral/Apricot
Pale Yellow

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By patternmaker

Thumbnail #4 of Zephyranthes  by DATURA12

By vossner
Thumbnail #5 of Zephyranthes  by vossner

Neutral vossner On Sep 25, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Rating neutral as color did not meet my expectations. I thought I would have peachy blooms but they are very unmistakably PINK. No biggie, I will transplant them to an area where the pink will fit nicely. However, if you are working on a definite color scheme and need peach, this is not it. As far as easy care plant, this plant is great, blooming after a nice rain. Crazy multiplier. I planted 5 bulbs in a hole and after 2 years I had about 20 good sized bulbs and 20+ bulbils.

Positive fireflyintexas On Jul 19, 2013, fireflyintexas from New Braunfels, TX wrote:

I bought a few growing bulbs in a small pot a few years ago of Prairie Sunset rain lily and I have not been disappointed. They are delightful! I have a nice clump of them now, in afternoon sun, and with the recent rains here in South Texas, they have been putting on a beauteous show. I am sowing their prolific seeds all around my garden, just as I do with my pink grandiflora rain lilies and all are very happy....as is their caretaker. Lovely, lovely flower that is one of those plants that you can plant and forget about. Then, when you have done just that, UP they pop, to remind you why you garden! A wonderful plant.
Fireflyintexas

Positive moroccanblossom On Apr 29, 2012, moroccanblossom from Scottsdale, AZ wrote:

I've had bloooms in the past. Now have huge area of foliage and no blossoms

Positive DATURA12 On Oct 19, 2010, DATURA12 from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant can easily be propagated. I take the seeds just as soon as the seed head is ready to drop seeds. I then plant the seeds shallow in a pot, keep watered. In very hot 100 degree weather I put a plastic dome over the top to ensure the soil doesn't dry out. Within two weeks they will germinate. They look like grass blades when germinated.

Positive BrindaS On Jun 7, 2009, BrindaS from Tyler, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

On 4/24/09, I ordered three 4 in pots of Prairie Sunset for $11 each pot from Southern Bulb Co. The info online said 3 bulbs per pot, but they were bursting open with 15 - 18 bulbs per pot! I had my first bloom today - beautiful! I am in zone 8a.

Neutral BajaBlue On May 26, 2009, BajaBlue from Rancho Santa Rita, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Prairie Sunset is most likely a hybrid between Z. 'Capricorn' and Z. Candida. This variety of rain lily is hard to find and usually much more expensive!

This is an Amaryllis relative native to the Americas. Great outdoors in the south, excellent for indoor pots and plants.

Tolerates any soil type. EASY to grow. Blooms several times each summer, after heavy rains (hence their common name "rain Lily"). Hardy in zones 7-11, elsewhere dig and store for the winter.

Positive angele On Mar 16, 2008, angele wrote:

Bought a small specimen of this plant 8/4/2007. Planted it near a water dish for the critters. There wasn't a sign of it all winter and today 3/16/08 I noticed a small clump of it all bright & green. I am going to move it as it doesn't stand a chance with the critters especially bunnies.
* In March moved to a flower pot as noted above, placed under a tree where it receives morning and late day sun and light shade during the hottest part of the day. Blooms opened 7/14/08. Lovely flower. Hope to plant it in the ground near a small water feature but have to figure out how to protect it from the rabbits.

Positive mbandaka On Mar 1, 2003, mbandaka wrote:

Prairie Sunset is a prolific bloomer, makes a colorful community pot. Color will fade to whipped cream in intense sun.

Mesa, Arizona