PlantFiles: Japanese Morning Glory
Ipomoea 'Mt. Fuji Mix'

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Mt. Fuji Mix

Not Applicable

Rose/Mauve
Magenta (Pink-Purple)
Purple

Variegated
Mottled

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By Buttoneer

By bill_casey
Thumbnail #6 of Ipomoea  by bill_casey

By bill_casey
Thumbnail #7 of Ipomoea  by bill_casey

Negative distantkin On Feb 8, 2008, distantkin from Saint Cloud, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Not thrilled about this one, vines stayed short and not as many blooms as other MGs. Purchased 2 commercial plants, one never grew over 6 inches and the other got to maybe 3 feet tall.

Positive katladie On Apr 29, 2007, katladie from French Settlement, LA wrote:

I have been growing this MG for 5 years now, I would not be without it. I order my seeds every year because the collected seed does not come back with the pronounced white wagon wheel. It thrives even in my south Louisiana heat.

Neutral RON_CONVOLVULACEAE On Dec 31, 2005, RON_CONVOLVULACEAE from Netcong, NJ (Zone 5b) wrote:

Ipomoea x imperialis is not a legitimate accepted Scientific epithet but is frequently used by the horticultural trade and the Mt.Fuji series is a marketing name for some of the Youjiro hybrid strains created by Dr.Yoneda.

See commentary section here

Positive wooley18013 On Oct 3, 2003, wooley18013 from Bangor, PA wrote:

2003 first year I tried the seed. Loved it!!!! Very nice from a hanging basket. What I ordered said there were blue and green flowers also (I didn't get any of them but would like to know if that is a color of these.) But I am very pleased with the results would definately recommend to someone else.

One thing that I have found with all Morning Glories is that the more sun they get the more water they need to keep plant looking good.

Positive DayBreak On Jul 30, 2003, DayBreak from Springfield, MO wrote:

I planted this seed mix about four years ago, and since then these Morning Glories have come back on their own from dropped seeds. Seeds located in areas of full sun sprout the quickest (they bloom mid-summer).

Only two colors germinated the first year (pink and dark purple), and after that only pink germinated. Strangely, this year I have dark purple blooms on one vine AND magenta blooms on another, along with my myriad pink-blooming vines! They are all incredibly bright and beautifully colored.

Negative PurplePansies On Jul 19, 2003, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

Vines much shorter than the average morning glory. Flowers do not look nearly as nice as in pictures. Much less vibrant colors and striping then shown in photos. Germination rates low.

Positive Brinda On Jul 11, 2003, Brinda from Yukon, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

I just love these. This is my first year to have Mt Fuji and I am so very pleased with how the vine and the flowers look. I run out early every morning just to see the new flowers. Today it is 7/11/03 and they have been flowering for a few weeks now. It seems that only 1 vine is flowering, so hopefully more will be soon. The one flowering has very 'deep' purple flowers with the wagon wheel white. I'm anxious to see the other colors in person. They stay open longer in the day than the regular MG's. If you've never planted this before, give them a try. Very easy and 'very' rewarding!!! Enjoy!!!

Positive mmeclectic On Jul 24, 2002, mmeclectic wrote:

This is a Japanese hybrid, sometimes referred to as Yojiro, of Ipomoea purpurea and I. nil (backcrossed to I. nil.) I know of no accepted designation for this hybrid, so maybe it is best labeled as nil-purpurea or nil x purpurea. (

Grass Valley, California