It's time for the DG county fair! Enter your best pictures and recipes for a chance to win a blue ribbon and subscription!

Bigleaf Hydrangea, French Hydrangea, Mophead
Hydrangea macrophylla 'All Summer Beauty'

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: macrophylla (mak-roh-FIL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: All Summer Beauty
» View all varieties of Hydrangeas

Rose/Mauve

Blue-Violet

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Mentone, Alabama

Haymarket, Virginia

Shelton, Washington

Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin

On Mar 13, 2011, RosemaryK from Lexington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

According to Hydrangeas: A Gardener;s Guide, revised, 2004 by Toni Lawson-Hall and Brian Rothera, this is a highly prized hydrangea. It came from Holland but the provenance is unknown. The well-rounded bush stands out in the border since it is one of the first to come into bloom, withstanding any late spring frosts. Its mopheads are medium sized, held close to the leaves. By July the blooms are so many the the leaves are almost hidden. Long blooming until first frost. On soil of ph 6.5, blooms are a mixture of cream and palest blue. At maturity, they become pale blue and fade into a lilac blue. The new blossoms lead to a constant mix of gentle shades. Leaves darken with the seasons, such that many show dark red autumn color. Head shape: well domed mophead; Head size medium; Sterile flowers... read more

On May 14, 2010, showgarden from Haymarket, VA wrote:

Way better than "Endless Summer" in hotter humid areas. If you read the label, then see that "All Summer" also blooms on old and new growth, so there is not much difference between the two of them.
In my garden in Zone 7, Endless Summer Failed ( see post under my username in Endless Summer page) while All Summer succeeded with honors. Just trying to save you money.

On Sep 4, 2006, isabella from Taunton, MA wrote:

Love this mophead! As easy to grow as an Annabelle and just a beautiful as a Nikko, though a lighter blue color. I ordered mine from a mail order firm for $3.00 and grew to the 3'X3' shrubs I have now. In Taunton, MA zone 5/6 I always get blooms on new wood, and depending on the winter and snow cover I may get some on old wood as well. I have Nikkos that will sometimes flower, but the ASB are a sure thing.

This hydrangea is under-rated and deserving to be used more, I have been looking and asking on the internet for years about ASB versus ES. Information has been scarce, so my thanks to the posters above for their insight into this hydrangea deserving more notice.

On Jun 13, 2006, SummerSun06 from Townsend, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Here in New England, all my macrophyllas bloom blue with no soil additions due to our naturally acidic soil. All Summer Beauty was the first macrophylla hydrangea that I could get to bloom here in zone 5. It blooms reliably every year and does just as well as Endless Summer.

On May 13, 2005, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

In the days prior to 'Endless Summer' there was only one that could flower reliably in zone 5, 'All Summer Beauty.' Despite this fact few people knew about it here in central Illinois. I think the heft of Baileys backing up 'Endless Summer' forced it into prominence whereas 'All Summer Beauty' didnt have such a creator to help the public aware of its existance. This particular one has always grown to great sizes here in our area. One I planted grew to nearly 6 ft tall in one season after being killed to the ground in winter while trying to bloom its flowers before the fall frost came to prevent it. Another plant I have though killed to the ground still managed to put off some 8 flower buds and I am awaiting to see how it does as these open. For a young plant and dieing back to the gr... read more

On Oct 10, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I count this as one of the most beautiful and long lasting plants in my garden. The blue blooms are striking and create a wonderful focal point and the foliage is a beautiful mid green - wonderful when grouped with Magilla Perilla, coleus, and hosta. I added Aluminum sulfate last year (03) - after planting it last year, and none since because here our soil tends to be a little on the acid side.

I dry flowers to use in bouquets & arrangements for our local fair each fall. I made the mistake of pruning what I thought were dead branches this spring, knowing that this plant blooms on both old and new wood. What I got was 6 enormous blossoms! The heads measured from 8" up to 12" across! It actually tried to start a new bloom in September but didn't get far because of the we... read more

On Jul 24, 2004, Sargent from Pembroke
Malta wrote:

I gained success with this plant only when I used lime free water and fertilizer. Very susepictal to certain innsecticides such as malathion. best to propagate during June - August period with soft cuttings.

On May 3, 2004, hall0 from Rochester, MN wrote:

If you want to have blue bloom you should add aluminum sulfate in the spring and the fall, Mer-Asid does not work well. In alkaline soils you will get a pink bloom.