PlantFiles: Bigleaf Hydrangea, Lacecap
Hydrangea macrophylla 'Rotdrossel'

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: macrophylla (mak-roh-FIL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rotdrossel

» View all varieties of Hydrangeas

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

By ecrane3
Thumbnail #1 of Hydrangea macrophylla by ecrane3

Positive wadd On Mar 5, 2006, wadd from Defuniak Springs, FL wrote:

I rooted a cutting last summer that I think is this plant. It is also known as Red Star (I think). I am trying to decide how much sun to give it here in Northwest Florida when I transplant it. Does anyone know if it makes any difference whether I keep it in the pot (gallon) for another year or set it out now? I was sorry to read that it may be prone to leaf spot. Will stronger sun help that?

Neutral lmelling On Dec 8, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

From the sources "Hydrangeas for American Gardens," by Michael A. Dirr (2004), and "Encyclopedia of Hydrangeas" C.J. and D.M. Van Gelderen (2004 - Timber Press):

This plant has lustrous dark green leaves, but may be prone to heavy leaf spot. It is a all shrub up to 6.5 feet. The flowerheads are large, brillian dark red to purple-red with two rows of sterile flowers surrounding the fertile flowers. Sepals slightly dentate. Flowering time is July to August. This cultivar is suitable for forcing and as a pot plant. Rotdrossel means "redwing". AKA 'Redwing', 'Teller Red'.

Dublin, California