Panicle Hydrangea, Tree Hydrangea 'Phantom'

Hydrangea paniculata

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: paniculata (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Phantom
Additional cultivar information:(aka Lime Soda)
» View all varieties of Hydrangeas

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Semmes, Alabama

Takoma Park, Maryland

Brevard, North Carolina

Richmond, Virginia

On Apr 12, 2010, wendymadre from Petersburg, VA wrote:

I haven't had the Phantom for long--I bought it last summer, 2009, at the garden center of a home improvement department store. As a matter of fact, I bought four of them, each in three gallon pots, for a total of only thirty dollars. They were discounted because they were rootbound and had dried out and were no longer presentable for the remainder of the season. I passed two along to a friend, kept one in the pot (well, in a seven-gallon pot), and planted the other in the back of my back yard. It is looking lovely now--no blossoms yet (it's only April) but the other that I kept, and the two that my friend took, survived this unusually cold winter in their pots. Tough little super-hero, the Phantom.

On Sep 12, 2007, chicagojjeff from Chicago, IL wrote:

i've just come back from the chicago botanic garden (we are in middling zone 5) to see a wide array of hydrangea paniculata in their late stages of bloom
. here's my report card on what i've seen:
Limelight is an excellent bloomer with many medium-small but very full clusters. THey are now in September a very attractive white with perhaps a hint of green or brown. Absolute best choice for hydrangea paniculata. not the tallest variety.

The best white faded to pink I saw was Phantom, with huge very-weighed down very attractive very pink clusters. Medium tall.

Beyond that many had clusters not very full ranging from white (mostly) to pink or a hint of brown. Tardiva is a good example, good overall but not very full and not very pin... read more

On Dec 4, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

From "Encyclopedia of Hydrangeas" C.J. and D.M. Van Gelderen (2004 - Timber Press). A large shrub with many long branches. The juvenile leaves are yellowish green. The panicles are large, like those of 'Grandiflora' consisting of mostly sterile florets, creamy white and turning to a good pink in early autumn.