PlantFiles: Oakleaf Hydrangea
Hydrangea quercifolia 'Alice'

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: quercifolia (kwer-se-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Alice

» View all varieties of Hydrangeas

Flowers are good for cutting
Flowers are good for drying and preserving
Provides winter interest

Thumbnail #4 of Hydrangea quercifolia by hannett_garner

Thumbnail #5 of Hydrangea quercifolia by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #6 of Hydrangea quercifolia by DaylilySLP

Thumbnail #7 of Hydrangea quercifolia by DaylilySLP

Positive thevioletfern On Sep 19, 2011, thevioletfern from Clayton, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

I love this native hydrangea. I was a little worried that it would not do well here in northern NY zone 4 but it has survived the past two winters. I have had to move it twice due to tree removal and home construction and still it grows! I vow not to move it again and hope to see it take off and flower the next couple years. It has beautiful fall color and great bark.

Positive NCMstGardener On Jul 16, 2011, NCMstGardener from Columbus, NC wrote:

We just bought the cultivar 'Alice.' It will be a companion to the seedling from our neighbor's 'Alice.' While this original plant blooms and grows well, the blooms go straight to brown rather than turn a rose pink. "We are looking forward to the color in our new 'Alice.'

Positive palebo7 On Jun 9, 2011, palebo7 from Dallas, TX wrote:

While I have not grown the H.q. 'Alice' per se, I do have regualr Oakleaf and the dwarf Sykes, which I love!
I can report that here in the Oak Cliff region of Dallas where I live I find that Oakleafs respond well to more sun that most think. They get leaf burn usually from water that is scorched by the sun. In fact, the more sun the better the fall color.
I mostly have alkaline soils ( we have a lot of limestone chalk-like rock just under the soil) - but I amend with organic matter (compost mixed with native soils), sometime raising beds due to the slopes of our half acre.
The Sykes dwarf I have planted in masses backed up by Nellie R Stevens Holly, Viburnum Awbuki, and Arizona Cypress 'Carolina Saphire' - with masses of pink Turks Cap and Hymenocallis 'Tropical Giant' as well. A beautiful combination.

Positive nodnyl On May 10, 2010, nodnyl from Spring, TX wrote:

Actually, my comment is "part 1." I am in The Woodlands, TX, north of Houston. A large nursery nearby is selling these plants and they are so buautiful, I bought one. They told me it will grow here, in zone 8, 77381. I have planted it in well drained sandy soil, raised bed, with only morning sun, then somewhat dappled. I will report the ongoing results, but if anyone who frequents this site has experience in the same area, please let me know about it - especially if there's something specific I need to do. This is a beautiful plant!

Positive hannett_garner On May 10, 2009, hannett_garner from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

Great plant... treasured by deer & rabbits alike... It has suffered some damage, but isn't deterred by it! I now have the bush covered by netting, which I adjust as the foliage/flowers grow, but definitely worth keeping in the garden.

Positive MissWeed On Mar 17, 2008, MissWeed from Raymond, MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

I ordered Alice 3 years ago, & she has grown pretty fast - she's now 5-6 feet tall & wide. I wouldn't prune at all, certainly not in winter or spring. I can see the flower buds forming already this year (mid-March).

Positive Sarah229 On May 9, 2007, Sarah229 from Charlotte, NC wrote:

My oakleaf hydrangeas are more beautiful each year and with no maintenance. I have also seen the websites that say to cut to the ground in early spring. I can't imagine why one would do that! They bloom on old wood, but also retain an attractive shape and size. If necessary, I might prune lightly after blooming, but there's been no need.

This plant is interesting yearround and a great addition to my garden. .

Positive outdoorlover On Mar 5, 2007, outdoorlover from Enid, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love this beautiful plant! It grow well and produces many blooms. The only issue I have is the description tag it came with said to "prune to ground in early spring", and some web sites say the same thing. However, other web sites say that it blooms on old wood, which is how it appears to me, and those web sites say to prune before August before the new buds form for the next spring flowering.

Positive lmelling On Dec 5, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Information from both "Hydrangeas for American Gardens," by Michael A. Dirr (2004) and "Encyclopedia of Hydrangeas" C.J. and D.M. Van Gelderen (2004 - Timber Press).

A large shrub up to 10', robust and mounding. The leaves deeply lobed with usually a brilliant autumn color.. Flowers in large panicles, creamy white and turning to rose-pink with age. The ray-flowers are scattered all over the panicles. Sepals can be almost halfdollar-size, and cover the fertile flowers. Can be grown in containers, and is more sun tolerant than others.

Selected by Michael A. Dirr from a seedling plant on the Georgia campus and named after former Georgia horticulture student and research technician Alice Richards.

Lewes, Delaware