Oakleaf Hydrangea 'Snow Queen'

Hydrangea quercifolia

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: quercifolia (kwer-se-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Snow Queen
Additional cultivar information:(PP4458, aka Flemygea, Flemigea)
Hybridized by Flemer
Registered or introduced: 1978
» View all varieties of Hydrangeas

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Patent expired

Arlington, Virginia

Lexington, Virginia

East Port Orchard, Washington

On May 8, 2012, RrrrrGrrrr from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I planted a small "Snow Queen" hydrangea about 4 years ago. It seemed pricey at the time ($49.99), but has really filled out and is covered with blooms this year. The flowers are shorter and more upright than most of the other varieties of oakleafs I've seen, but there are tons of them..

It is planted in an elevated bed with red clay/added compost.. I fertilize it a couple of times a year with one of those acid loving fertilizers.

On Jun 20, 2011, NoLawns from Warrenville, IL wrote:

A great Hydrangea. Patented p.p. 4458 in 1978

On Sep 13, 2008, gardenlady123 from Plainwell, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is my absolute favorite shrub!!!! It is beautiful all summer long. In the late summer it turns a georgeous brilliant dried looking pink. I will never get rid of this shrub. Im not going to cut it back either I want a bigger shrub. Nice foliage also.

On Apr 2, 2008, selinaoz from Mooresville, NC wrote:

This was planted from a cutting from the previous owners bush. It is going on the third spring and it is having a hard time I think. It has produced only eight blooms at most. It has only about four seperate stocks and I don't know if it is in the wrongspot. It is planted on a slope in clay and compost soil on the north west side of the house. I have put manure on it and have watered it but I am sure it probably runs off down the hill. I have mulched it and put rocks also in the soil to hold moisture. It has very slow growth but has improved from a little stick. Should I risk moving it? I would love to have it bigger but almost giving up.

On Jun 24, 2007, krikit7 from Dixon, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

BEAUTIFUL foliage, especially in the fall. The " flaky" bark adds interest also but.... I can't get it to bloom eventhough it gets winter protection.

On Jun 26, 2005, StarGazey26 from (Zone 10a) wrote:

I love this plant, i just bought it, it was in a one gallon, i took out my night blooming jasmine plant and a brugmansia, i needed a quick, smaller plant, for this area.. I picked the oak leaf hydrangea, because of the fact that it will have great color, and not get as big as the plants i had where the oak leaf is now.. I cant wait for it to get a little bigger, i know it will be a great plant. I love the leaf, although no oak tree has that big of leaf! LOL.. But this is a good choice, i love it..

On Oct 27, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I purchased a SnowQueen oakleaf hydrangea in bloom several years ago at a local nursery. Since that time I have not been able to get it to bloom. It is planted next to our house in a sheltered location where it gets sun (when it's out - this is Ithaca, folks!) except hot afternoons. The soil is clay, but well drained, being near the foundation.

I'm not sure why it hasn't bloomed, it appears healthy. At least it puts on a nice show in fall!

Information about this plant relates that the flowers should be 6-8" long, held upright, and should not bend or arch. They should turn pink as they mature. This is a more compact grower, possibly 6' high at maturity, slower growing than some. Prof. Dirr observes no damage at -22 degrees F. A Princeton Nursery introduc... read more