PlantFiles: Mountain Hydrangea
Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Bird'

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hydrangea (hy-DRAIN-juh) (Info)
Species: serrata (sair-AY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Blue Bird
Additional cultivar information: (aka Bluebird)

» View all varieties of Hydrangeas

By aprilwillis
Thumbnail #7 of Hydrangea serrata by aprilwillis

Positive ferngirlpa On Aug 8, 2009, ferngirlpa from Kennett Square
United States wrote:

I have numerous plants in PA . They are in part-shade and have always bloomed blue and prolifically for me. I have about 7 very large bushes which 4 of them are from taking a large piece of root and just planting in the ground. Give them a mulch in the Spring, and that will help with water. Once established they will bounce back quickly if water is lacking. A beautiful bush that will get quite large if happy.

Positive littlelamb On Jul 25, 2009, littlelamb from Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 8b) wrote:

My plant gets filtered morning sun and for the rest of the day it's in shade. I love this hydrangea! I've had other hydrangeas but they did not perform as well as this one. It's pretty much carefree with the exception of giving it a drink during a long drought. It seems to do pretty well in heat and humidity provided by the shade it receives.

Negative jebjab On Jun 1, 2007, jebjab from Guyton, GA wrote:

I have had this plant for 4 years. The first year it bloomed fine with little effort on my part. The 2nd year it bloomed then was infested with little white flying bugs. The past 2 years the plant has been very healthy, but there has been no flowering. Help.

Positive aprilwillis On May 11, 2006, aprilwillis from Missouri City, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant, it is beautiful. The grower indicates this can be grown in a pot -I am hoping that this works. I have it in virtually complete shade except for some filtered morning sun. I potted this w/ commercial potting soil, acid fertilizer, etc but as someone else noted, it is not quite blue. I have continued to add mild acidifier, but perhaps it really needs a more continuous supply of serious acid fertilier. Either way, this is a beautiful plant!

Neutral zone5girl On Mar 22, 2006, zone5girl from Painesville, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

It's a pretty plant, but it did not come up blue. The last time I checked, my soil was nearly neutral (slightly acidic). It's in a area that does get some direct sun, but the soil is full of clay so it never dries out. Last year, however, we had record high temps and it wilted until it cooled down, then it would perk back up.

Neutral bayouposte On May 1, 2004, bayouposte from Bossier City, LA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Just bought one and am glad to know about the shade. Was planning to plant in part shade, but may look for a slightly more sheltered location than my original choice since summers here are so hot.

Positive aylagirl On Jun 14, 2003, aylagirl from High Point, NC wrote:

Very happy with this plant's performance in my Zone 7 garden. It's planted in slightly acidic, clay soil, northwesterly exposure. Shaded by a Bradford pear tree from the hot western sun, otherwise it wouldn't make it through the summer. Does NOT like direct sun! Demands consistently moist soil during first year, to get established. I highly recommend this plant.

Cottonwood, California