Little White Soldiers
Drimiopsis maculata

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Drimiopsis (drim-ee-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: maculata (mak-yuh-LAH-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Ledebouria petiolata

Deland, Florida

Gainesville, Florida

Howey In The Hills, Florida

Lady Lake, Florida

Ocala, Florida (2 reports)

Pompano Beach, Florida

Chocowinity, North Carolina

Beaufort, South Carolina

Dickinson, Texas

On Jun 10, 2014, sschmitz from Olivette, MO wrote:

This plant was part of a planter I received in 2010 when my mother passed. Since then I have taken the planter apart as it held about 6 different types of plants. The Drimiopsis maculanta has been the one that just seems to grow and grow. Since that time the two bulbs have grown and produced many dozens of bulbs and I have given about 20 of the offspring away to friends. Here in the St. Louis area I grow it inside during the winter and move it out to the patio once the night temperatures are at least 60 degrees. It blooms off and on all year round and is always a nice spot of green no matter where it sits.

If you get one just be ready for many many more to follow.

On Apr 13, 2014, TreeArt from Howey-in-the-Hills, FL wrote:

I'm in Central Florida (Howey in the Hills), and have these planted all over the place -- from full sun (alongside the street) to partial sun to deep shade. The ones in fullest sun are hanging in, though the leaves don't want to open fully -- they fold a little. My neighbor gave all of them to us (hundreds!) and swears he got them all from 2 bulbs someone gave him 10 years ago. He says this person, who had worked in landscaping for Universal Studios in Orlando, called them Speckled Daydream (though I cannot find that reference online). I also see them called African False Hosta, and Leopard Plant. Honey bees LOVE them, and so do I!

On May 8, 2010, HostaHost from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I recently purchased this plant from a local nursery and the pot was labeled "African Hosta." After doing a lot of research on the plant, I discovered that the plant originates in the semi-arid areas of South Africa.

The spots appear on the young new growth and only last through the spring and into the early summer when they disappear into the green of the leaves. Slugs and snails don't seem to want to attack this plant as much as they do your traditional hosta plant.
The plant's origin will make its bulbs tolerate tons of heat and drought. You can plant it in part sun, light shade, or even dark shade; this is a very forgiving plant.

My research found that this plant will grow 1h x 1w, in zones 8-10, or colder climates if grown in pots. Plant ... read more

On May 10, 2009, Selene001 from Ocala, FL wrote:

I've been growing this plant for over 5 yrs now. It's very easy to grow and to propagate. Just separate the bulbs. Likes dappled sun to heavy shade. Is a nice ground cover for areas under oak trees here in Florida where the shade is too deep for much to grow. I always keep some growing in a pot also. Makes an excellent potted plant.

On Oct 18, 2008, lakesidecallas from Dandridge, TN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I agree this is very easy to grow. I've grown in both in cactus and succulent soil and regular (peat, perlite, pine bark- Fafard 52) potting mix. Grows from bulbs, offsets easily. Likes a bit of shade for best color in leaves. Good, easy houseplant.

On Oct 20, 2002, Evert from Helsinki
Finland (Zone 4b) wrote:

Cute dark green leaved bulbous plant from Southern Africa. Very easy to grow. Blooms often with small, inconspicuous, hyacinth-like flowers.
Leaves have faint dark spots in them.