Flour Corn
Zea mays 'Painted Mountain'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zea (ZEE-uh) (Info)
Species: mays (maze) (Info)
Cultivar: Painted Mountain

Big Delta, Alaska

Sapello, New Mexico

positive

On Oct 18, 2008, Jayryunen from Sapello, NM (Zone 5b) wrote:

I haven't grown much corn, this being my second attempt. My first patch was Country Gentleman at 5800 ft, near Albuquerque, NM and I was pleased with the result.

Now I'm in the eastern foothills of the Sangre de Cristo mountains at 7100'. We got a late start planting, not til June 9, due to a cool spring. I choose the Painted Mountain because of its reputed ability to sprout in cool soils, and short maturity date.

We got 97% germination, and vigorous growth during a cool, wet summer. There was a lot of tillering (side shoots), possibly due to heavy composting before planting. Most of the 3' stalks produced more than one ear. There was also a lot of 'lodging' or falling over, which I didn't like. Several of the ears were 'primitive'... doubled, tripled. I think... read more

On Jul 12, 2006, nuckolsm from Delta Junction, AK wrote:

I've grown this for several years here in a place (central Alaska) where corn is usually difficult to grow due to the cold soils and short season. I start plants (yep -- here in Alaska we have to) two weeks before the 1st of June and then set out in raised beds. I've even had this corn mature and was able to use it to make a colored cornmeal. It is not a sweet corn -- but can be eaten young for a starchy meal.

On Aug 9, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An 80 day multi-colored Indian corn featuring small cob 6 inch ears on a 7 foot stalk.