PlantFiles: Sweet Corn
Zea mays 'Orchard Baby'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zea (ZEE-uh) (Info)
Species: mays (maze) (Info)
Cultivar: Orchard Baby

Thumbnail #1 of Zea mays by jenhillphoto

Thumbnail #2 of Zea mays by jenhillphoto

Thumbnail #3 of Zea mays by jenhillphoto

Positive TyCobb On Jun 10, 2007, TyCobb from Winnsboro, TX wrote:

Corn did well, even though we had a tremendous amount of rain. Only one ear per plant though. Very flavorful, produced in about 70 days but we had overcast sky's and rain 20 days out of the month of April.

Negative jenhillphoto On Jul 12, 2006, jenhillphoto from Danbury, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is the first time planting corn for me. I chose it for its short maturation time. And according to one vendor, it grows "3 foot plants, very sweet, 3 to 4 inch ears."

Right now, plants are only about 2 feet tall. We're right at the 60 day mark, but since it was a wet, cold spring, all the plants are behind in growth. Will update when corn is grown.

After harvesting the corn, I am updating my rating to negative. The taste was not that great and the small size made me think, "why did I plant this?" You have to eat a lot of them to equal a regular size ear of corn. Yes, I knew that going in, but I wanted to try it anyway. If the taste was great, I'd grow it again and not care about the size. Kind of like dessert.

Neutral Farmerdill On Nov 19, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 60 day Oscar Will cultivar.

Danbury, Connecticut