Sweet Corn
Zea mays 'Silver Queen'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zea (ZEE-uh) (Info)
Species: mays (maze) (Info)
Cultivar: Silver Queen

Cleveland, Tennessee

Radford, Virginia

Dayton, Washington

On Aug 23, 2013, stevepipkin from Cincinnati, OH wrote:

I grew silver queen in a garden in 1981. I harvested it and ate an ear raw. Pretty good. I drove home. I shucked the rest and ate it an hour later. My wife and I both pronounced it not passable. It lost its sugar in an hour.

I opened a produce market a couple of years later and have been in business for 30 years. There has been a lot of hybridizing of sweet corn since Silver Queen was introduced in the mid sixties. The result is that there are really good varieties available. My livelihood depends on my objective judgement of produce that I buy for my store. We have not sold Silver Queen since the mid nineties. The varieties available keep getting better. Even the progeny of Silver Queen - Argent, Silver Prince, Silver King - have fallen by the wayside.

Silv... read more

On Sep 6, 2010, stuffinglover from Trenton, NJ wrote:

Silver Queen corn is impervious to all common plant ailments. Droughts and rampant pests failed to kill it, there was never any sign of disease and even in close quarters, more than two ears were harvested per plant. A plant for those who want a bountiful harvest.

On Jul 19, 2010, Danalee2 from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I know this is going to sound crazy to you but I swear it's true!!! I live in Pittsburgh, this city of.. My yard is very tiny and I share it with my neighbor. I moved here from a large yard where I found a love for working in my yard and growing everything and anything. So when I dig a strip along the fence and planted corn everyone including me thought I'd never really have corn worth picking let alone eating.. As the plants grew and grew I was amazed watching how the cobs form and I learned why you mound soil around the base, and today I picked and cook and ate my first ears of corn. It's amazing how great it tastes and that I really grew corn in such a small place.. My yard is like a jungle, beautiful!!

On Aug 1, 2009, Harry_C from Naperville, IL wrote:

IMO This is the best table corn ever grow. I know that there is sweeter corn but non that match the palitability of this hybrid.

Try my taste test. put a dozen ears of corn on the table 6 Silver Queen and 6 of any other SuperSweet Hybrids and see which vanishes first.

I have done this several times and Silver Queen cam out on top every time.

There are sweeter hybrids, but high sugar content is not the only factor that comes into play when judging fine ear of corn.

This is the best corn so far. Easy to grow and resistant to a lot of the common problems that plague growers.

Try not to cross pollinate this hybrid or you may not e eating true SilverQueen.

Speaking of not eating true SilverQueen I have not... read more

On Dec 14, 2003, roger62 from Redford, MI wrote:

Silver Queen is one of the best tasting breeds of sweet corn that you can eat. Silver Queen is also the tallest sweet corn that you can grow. Silver Queens plant height averages 7 to 10 feet.

On Dec 1, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is the corn that brought back the popularity of white sweet corns and is still the standard by which white sweet corns are measured. It is one of the few cultivars that are demanded by name at U -Pick farms, roadside stands and Farmer's Markets. It is very easy to grow, at least south of the Mason - Dixon line, disease resistant and prolific. It is still my main crop corn, not because it is my favorite but because of demand.