PlantFiles: Sweet Corn (Se)
Zea mays 'Delectable'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zea (ZEE-uh) (Info)
Species: mays (maze) (Info)
Cultivar: Delectable

Thumbnail #2 of Zea mays by Farmerdill

Thumbnail #3 of Zea mays by Farmerdill

Neutral klaracbeanhybs On Apr 26, 2013, klaracbeanhybs from Santa Cruz
Trinidad and Tobago wrote:

I purchased 100 seed packets that only said 90 in each pack when I got it at home in the Caribbean.
Then there pack said 85% growth rate. Of the 348 seeds I planted I got about 110 plants and remained with 102 plants.
Those are the negatives.

The positives are that the plants all bore fruit. It is now 52 days, silk has shown a while now the fruits aren't fully developed however I am not sure what to look for to ensure that my corn is picked just at the right time and that the right thing is done for when picked I could really use some advice in this regard.

Positive Ozark On Jul 27, 2009, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I just harvested our Delectable corn 78 days after planting, and it was just right. It had good germination even though it was cool and rainy for a couple of weeks after I planted it, and the seed wasn't treated.

Delectable cornstalks don't grow very big, so I was able to plant it close, 32" between rows and 14" between plants. It's productive at that spacing because we got almost 100 big ears from three 25' rows. The flavor's sweet and real good, I'll be growing Delectable again.

Positive CurtisJones On Nov 24, 2008, CurtisJones from Longmont, CO wrote:

From your friends at Botanical Interests: Gorgeous golden yellow and white bicolor corn with exceptional sweet flavor. Delectable sweet corn is a variety that can’t be bought in grocery stores. You must grow it for yourself to enjoy its wonderful taste. A homozygous (se) variety, it has a higher sugar content than normal sugar varieties and will hold its sweetness for 3-4 days after picking. (This (se) variety should be separated from field corn, popcorn, and SH² (super sweet) varieties by 250 feet to prevent cross-pollination. Staggering plantings with a 10-15 plus day maturity difference will allow closer plantings where cross-pollination is a concern.)

Positive Indy On Sep 18, 2005, Indy from Alexandria, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

This corn is a vigorous grower with nice sized ears that are very tasty.

Positive gardenphil On Jun 25, 2005, gardenphil from Eighty Four, PA wrote:

EXCELLENT GERMINATION, EVEN WHEN SOIL IS TOO COLD FOR MOST SE VARITIES. VIGOROUS PLANTS PRODUCE LARGE, WELL FORMED EARS WITH TIGHT COVERS. BICOLOR TASTE IS EXCELLENT FRESH ON THE COB, AND CUT FROM THE COB AND FROZEN. TASTES LIKE FRESH WHEN IT'S SNOWING OUTSIDE.

Positive Farmerdill On Sep 2, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

An 80 day hybrid se bi-color. Ears are 8 inches with 16 - 18 rows. Developed by Crookham. This has been a hard luck cultivar for me. Last years trial was wiped completly out by drought. This years trial got caught by drought in its time slot. The whites Silver Princess and Augusta did much better, but they are about 5 days earlier. A decent bi color but it has not shown me anything yet. I suspect it is one of the many cultivars that does better in the north.

Longmont, Colorado