PlantFiles: Sweet Corn (Se)
Zea mays 'Kandy Korn'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zea (ZEE-uh) (Info)
Species: mays (maze) (Info)
Cultivar: Kandy Korn

Thumbnail #3 of Zea mays by Ozark

By Ozark
Thumbnail #4 of Zea mays by Ozark

Neutral tdscpa On Feb 24, 2010, tdscpa from Hill City, KS wrote:

I have grown this variety for the last five or six years, but will not in the future. It grew O.K., taste was good, but did not suit my garden well. The corn grows very tall on slender stalks. My location is very windy. Every year, the wind would knock it down. Also, the husks did not adequately cover the ears. Always had insect invasion of every ear if I did not dust for them.

This was one of four varieties I grew every year. I'm just going to plant a little more of the other three varieties.

Positive Ozark On Jul 28, 2008, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is my favorite sweet corn. Every time I try growing another variety, my wife and I are disappointed in it by comparison and I go back to Kandy Korn.

Farmerdill is right, Kandy Korn can't be crowded or it will make stunted ears. I plant rows 42" apart, but with rich ground and good care I get the spacing between plants down to 14". I wouldn't plant it closer than that.

In my experience Kandy Korn is earlier than shown here. Last year I harvested 72 days after planting, and this year (when we had weeks of heavy rains) it was good and ready in 79 days. With big yellow ears and good sweet flavor this is the best, in my opinion!

Positive qterhrs On Jan 8, 2008, qterhrs from Friedens, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a favorite corn in our garden. The tall stalks are eye catching and used as a focal point in the garden. The taste is tender, sweet and freezes well.

Positive RDT On Feb 11, 2006, RDT from Crossville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I will have to say, "AMEN" to the last statement: Trust me, Folks, once you taste/grow this "korn", you'll never go back to any other variety!

We only grow this variety. When I can't grow it I look for it at the local Farmer's Market. I have tried others when the sellers insist that it is as sweet as 'Kandy Korn'. But, it never is.

Positive Horseshoe On Feb 9, 2006, Horseshoe from Efland, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

An excellent sweet corn and one I've grown for at least ten years (possibly longer!).

The sugar holds well after picking if you keep it cool. The color purple (which often can indicate a phosphorus deficiency in many plants) is a common coloration with this variety of corn (so don't freak out if you see the purple!).

Positive Gabrielle On Jan 17, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this corn and will plant it again. We had a really bad gardening year due to extreme heat and drought, and a lot of corn crops were lost. I planted this in my compost/rabbit manure rich garden that holds moisture well, went out daily to help with pollination, and had beautiful ears. I wish I had planted more, but it was a sample crop as I had never grown corn before. It is a sugary-enhansed hybrid (se).

Positive Farmerdill On Dec 1, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Kandy Korn is an excellent yellow sweet corn. Grows well, and holds well. Taste and texture are excellent and ears are nice and large. Stalks are colorful. It is a large corn, that needs more spacing. I plant it at 18 inches in 42 inch rows and fertilize heavily. At more dense populations ears either do not form or are stunted. I don't grow a lot of it as most folks want Silver Queen or at least one that will pass for Silver Queen. I have tried the white Kandy Korn (Cotton Kandy) with excellent results.

Bee Branch, Arkansas