Sweet Corn (Se) 'Ruby Queen'

Zea mays

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zea (ZEE-uh) (Info)
Species: mays (maze) (Info)
Cultivar: Ruby Queen

Cicero, New York

Ambler, Pennsylvania

Cleveland, Tennessee

On Jan 7, 2009, HBPattskyn from Madison Heights, MI wrote:

We grew Ruby Queen 2 years ago on a lark because it looked so pretty; my husband was very skeptical, but then we harvested the first ears. Everybody who ate it at our house loved it. We'll never grow another variety of corn in our small backyard garden again (I'm happy to say we're doing corn again this year). The color held up well both boiled or bbq'd and the taste was supurb. Production was quite good.

On May 19, 2004, acu1 from Massillon, OH wrote:

This hybrid has become my new favorite, replacing Silver Queen. I grew some in 2003 for novelty, and this summer I am filling my garden with it and Silver Choice (a SE hybrid reported to boost yeilds when planted in concert with Ruby Queen)

On Dec 1, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I tried Ruby Queen for the first time in 2003 and was pleasantly surprised. It has excellent texture and flavor.

On Jun 20, 2003, Jkirk3279 from Cassopolis, MI wrote:

Ties with "How Sweet It Is" for the best Sweet Corn ever. And it's more durable than "How Sweet It Is".

Red color comes in gradually so you can tell at a glance how mature the kernels are. If you like your corn young and sweet, harvest before it turns full Red.

My soil is basically sand, so I start in seed flats and transplant individually.