Scarlet Trumpet Vine, Blood Trumpet Vine, Red Bignonia
Distictis buccinatoria

Family: Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Distictis (DIS-tik-tis) (Info)
Species: buccinatoria (buks-sin-uh-TOR-ee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Bignonia cherere

Napa, California

Oak View, California

Redondo Beach, California

Sacramento, California

San Francisco, California (2 reports)

Simi Valley, California

Saint Paul, Minnesota

Alice, Texas

negative

On Jul 28, 2011, jssd619 from San Diego, CA wrote:

We bought this beautiful vine because we love the flower and it attracts hummingbirds. It is over a year old now and has vined all over the top of our trellis and around the back yard, it seems to be thriving quite well. HOWEVER~ we have had only 2 (yes 2) blossoms in the past year from only one of the vines (we planted 3.

Central San Diego- backyard. sunny and some (not much) shade.

Cannot figure it out. Have used super bloom and food and still nothing.

Any ideas?

On Jul 14, 2007, Opoetree from Oak View, CA wrote:

We have this plant growing on the side of our house along with giant birds of paradise and queen palms. It is lovely to see all the leaves and blooms. The plant was hit hard when our temps dropped to the teens laster winter, but it recovered well and is retaking its territory along the fence line. It is a great climber and apparently likes to show off its blooms...we catch it trying to climb up into the queen palms...lots of personality!

On Jul 13, 2004, crimsontsavo from Crossville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant grows all over the South here in Florida. It smells divine and grows extremely fast. You do not have a "proper" Southern garden without a huge Trumpet Vine dripping with flowers. They are tough- require hardly any care and can grow extremely well in full sun or shade. They bloom better for us in sun though. Be very careful if you fertilize these vines. Even a tad bit too much will give you loads of green leaves and hardly ANY flowers.
The results of over fertilization can last for several years on this plant. (no/hardly any blooms for several years.)
Basically- you want to plant it, water it well until established and then forget it.

On Sep 10, 2003, buzzy from Ferndale, CA wrote:

It was growing all over the chain link fence in Marin County, California. The trumpet flowers are very dense, thick.

On Jul 9, 2003, RYANMIC wrote:

I had one of these plants when I lived in Glendale, California (U.S.) It grew up to my second floor balcony and covered it with flowers. Since I moved to Houston, Texas I have been looking for one of these for my house.

On Jul 26, 2002, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have this plant growing at my work where I planted it on a chain link fence. It easily covered the entire length in a short time. The gardener pruned it severely twice a year and that kept it close to the fence and it still flowered profusely. Our new gardener has not pruned it and it has gone from the back yard to the front and up a huge tree there. Needless to say I do not have the heart to sever it from the tree in full bloom, though I have given instructions that in the fall it needs a severe cut. This plant is never watered (except rain) or fertilized. The sprinkler system is not in the back yard.