Butterfly Bush, Summer Lilac, Orange-eye Butterfly Bush
Buddleja davidii 'Pink Delight'

Family: Buddlejaceae
Genus: Buddleja (BUD-lee-uh) (Info)
Species: davidii (duh-VID-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Pink Delight
Synonym:Buddleia davidii
Synonym:Buddleia variabilis
Synonym:Buddleja variabilis

Rose/Mauve

Blytheville, Arkansas

Elk Grove, California

Eureka, California (2 reports)

Jacumba, California

Sterling, Virginia

Vancouver, Washington

negative

On Oct 3, 2011, Tibble22 from Panama City Beach, FL wrote:

Bought this plant early this past Spring and planted it immediately. It is now early Autumn and the plant still has done very little. It gets full sun and is watered regularly. Spikes of blooms have been very small, not fragrant and spindley. The entire plant has only grown about an inch all season. I plan on yanking it out of my garden and tossing it. Back home in Chicago we had them as kids and they grew profusely and attracked bees and butterflies, not here in Florida.

On Sep 8, 2010, suentommy from Souderton, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Love this bush. The flower spikes look so beautiful Today is a windy day and they are nodding in the breeze and the fragrance comes right into my home. I made sure I planted them so that when the wind blew I'd get the fragrance inside.

On Aug 6, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I think this is a very beautiful cultivar but I lost mine suddenly, I think due to excessive rains. I will get another one. I have 3-4 other cultivars that were totally unfazed by the rains, so I'm a little puzzled.

On May 27, 2007, 1cros3nails4gvn from Bluffton, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

here, the bush is an evergreen shrub. it tries to grow during the winter, but only very slowly. we cut ours back every few years or so to keep it in control.

On Apr 29, 2007, mz_pimp93 from Morgan Hill, CA wrote:

I just bought a butterfly bush yesterday, and I am not sure how to care for it. It's only about 1-2 1/2 feet. If you have any tips, PLEASE HELP!!! Greatly appreciated.

On Nov 20, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

I love it! Beautiful!

I love the color and I try to keep it deadheaded at all times and pinched back for compactness.

On Oct 22, 2005, ZZsBabiez from Lodi, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Talk about drought resistance!!
I found a bush laying on the ground that hadn't been watered in 5 years other than by Mother Nature. It was alive, but somewhat shriveled, with broken limbs and very sparse. This bush has teeny tiny blooms (compared to these pictures) it is starving to death, but it is an exact duplicate to the picture of that majestic bloom in the picture. This one has found a loving home and I will do my best to bring it back to it's original beauty.

On Jul 29, 2005, Tjsangel from Warren, OH wrote:

I love this butterfly bush! Mine is 12 ft and flowering now, and this morning I saw a swallowtail butterfly and hummingbird on it. Flowers are sweetly scented, it likes dry conditions w/a little water. Easy to grow and beautiful.

On Jul 12, 2005, jamie68 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Buttrfly bushes are all pretty plants in my opinion....but this one is stunning!!! Gorgeous, soft pink flowers with an orange eye on spikes well over one foot long...and born in profusion!!! When cut back to 6"-12" in late winter - early spring, it can attain 10 ft by summer, with a beautiful shape!! I have several Buddliea, this is easily my favorite! And the fragrance....WOW!!!! A+++

On Nov 25, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Most butterfly bushes are hardy in zones 5 - 9. If you live in zone 5 or a colder zone, the tops in your butterfly bushes will likely die back over the winter. Even so, they will come back the next growing season bigger and better then before. Butterfly bushes prefer full sun (they must receive eight or more hours of sun a day to thrive). This cultivar can reach a height of up to 10'. It's pink flower spikes are stunningly beautiful.

On Jan 10, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

The flower spikes are very beautiful on this cultivar. It should be cut to the ground every year to keep it in shape and size. Seeds do not come true.