Lungwort, Bethlehem Sage, Jerusalem Sage
Pulmonaria saccharata 'Mrs. Moon'

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Pulmonaria (pul-muh-NARE-ee-ah) (Info)
Species: saccharata (sak-kar-RAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Mrs. Moon

Madison, Wisconsin

Wausau, Wisconsin

negative

On May 28, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This cultivar grows well in this area, and it's a big seller. It does look good in the spring. But I usually see its foliage disfigured with powdery mildew in summer (Boston, Z6a).

Pulmonaria longifolia cultivars (eg 'Bertram Anderson') have foliage that holds up better through the summer and is less susceptible to powdery mildew.

Consistent moisture through the summer (together with good drainage) helps a lot to keep the foliage in good shape. If it gets mildew, you can cut the foliage to the ground---it will grow back quickly, usually looking a lot healthier.

On May 27, 2014, absinthe27 from Albertville, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Comes back reliably each year, and can be divided every year or two. I have had this in full sun and full shade, and while it did fine in both places, it definitely grows much larger and healthier in shade. The leaves are slightly hairy and rough to the touch.

On Jun 1, 2009, mysty147 from Sandy Hook, CT wrote:

Lungwort seems to be nearly indestructible...this plant came pre-planted in a garden already set up by the previous owner of our house.

It gets partial sun and i only water it during the hottest summer months when it looks shriveled....i've even seen it curl up in the sun only to find it looking lush and happy later in the day when the sun has moved on....I highly recommend this lovely plant for a part shade woodland garden as it seems to fit in nicely with with native plants and is hardy and disease resistent....and the deer will not touch it!

On Jun 1, 2009, valleyrimgirl from Brandon, MB (Zone 2b) wrote:

Here in my Canadian zone 2b I have all my lungworts, including Mrs. Moon, planted in shade, part shade and also in full sun. They do well in all cases. They do well in normal garden situations, dry or moist. They self seed a bit even though I have mulch on all my beds and I sell the babies at my perennial sale each spring.

On Jun 30, 2008, enya_34 from Madison, WI wrote:

The most vigorous cultivar for me, can be divided every other year. Once established can take quite dry conditions. I grow it on a slope on the north side of the house which dries very quickly and the only other group of plants that is really happy there are Epimediums. The only other one that I have see self-sown seedlings from.

On May 27, 2006, ladygardener1 from Near Lake Erie, NW, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

A farorite of mine, the color of the booms are interesting and pleasing, the leaves add interest to the greens around it. And one of the first perennials to bloom. I find it easy to care for, it is at the base of a large pine tree so I check it when the summer has been dry and hot to see if it is getting enough water.

I have found 3 self-sowen baby plants that I potted up for the nursery to move to an other shaded location of the yard.

On May 3, 2006, hawksridge from Richmondville, NY wrote:

This plant is terrific! It is my most beautiful spring-blooming perennial. It has grown quite large since I bought it a few years ago, and I will be dividing it soon to transfer it to other parts of my garden where there is some shade. I have not had one problem with it, no insects or diseases. Even after the flowers fade, the foliage is gorgeous too!!! Run out and get one!!!

On Feb 11, 2006, renwings from Sultan, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This does well even in dry shade.

On Oct 8, 2005, JRush from Guilford, CT (Zone 7a) wrote:

Enchanting blossoms that change hue as the days pass & pretty mottled foliage make this a perfect addition to a shady garden. Bounces back readily after dividing, & multiplies steadily for sharing. Prefers a moist environment.
Julie